Very Disappointed

Paul&Karen

Just rang RC to seek an upgrade for our 12 Day cruise leaving 2 Dec out of NY to what's left of the Caribbean, and I see there maybe another one forming called Ophellia.

Anyway rang to see about paying the difference from our balcony ($4463 AUD) to a JNR Suite, thinking maybe a cost difference of $2000 to $2500 and more than happy to pay that price, only to be told no an extra $6000 AUD.

So total for the JNR Suite, if I elected to get it, would be $6000 AUD plus I will loose $4463. So total cost $10463.

Due to being only 52 days out I will loose the price and will go to a "new booking". After I picked myself off the ground I ask "you have plenty of Suites available of all types, I'm not cancelling but spending more to upgrade"...reply "no no that is the price".

We have already booked/paid our specialty restaurants, drink packages, Chefs Table, just waiting on the shore excursions.

This is going to be our 4th cruise (Platinum) out of America and another booked/paid Dec 18.

Very very disappointed at the moment, again not after any "freeby" but thought they would have been alittle more helpful to swap over.

Might have to go back and look at who we cruise with next.

Regards Paul & Karen

1 hour ago, Paul&Karen said:

Just rang RC to seek an upgrade for our 12 Day cruise leaving 2 Dec out of NY to what's left of the Caribbean, and I see there maybe another one forming called Ophellia.

Anyway rang to see about paying the difference from our balcony ($4463 AUD) to a JNR Suite, thinking maybe a cost difference of $2000 to $2500 and more than happy to pay that price, only to be told no an extra $6000 AUD.

So total for the JNR Suite, if I elected to get it, would be $6000 AUD plus I will loose $4463. So total cost $10463.

Due to being only 52 days out I will loose the price and will go to a "new booking". After I picked myself off the ground I ask "you have plenty of Suites available of all types, I'm not cancelling but spending more to upgrade"...reply "no no that is the price".

We have already booked/paid our specialty restaurants, drink packages, Chefs Table, just waiting on the shore excursions.

This is going to be our 4th cruise (Platinum) out of America and another booked/paid Dec 18.

Very very disappointed at the moment, again not after any "freeby" but thought they would have been alittle more helpful to swap over.

Might have to go back and look at who we cruise with next.

Regards Paul & Karen

Wait for RCCL to contact you late in the game for an upgrade.  It may come, and if it does, it will be at a good price.

I don't even know what AUD is worth in CAD or USD, but I would never, ever pay over $10,000 for a JR suite..but then again...never ever would I pay over $4000 for a balcony......

However I realize that's not the OP's point here. As I again don't know the rules from down under. However, it seems like this has been a recent issue as others here have mentioned about trying to upgrade and it being totally unreasonable as to what Royal wanted. Now I don't know what both would have cost at the original time of booking.

I understand how nice a JS must be..but if I could do 10-15 one week cruises in a interior or oceanview room for the same price as 1 cruise in a JS...I know what I would choose and they would actually make more money that way..but I guess if someone is willing to pay that, its supply and demand!

On a kinda side note..I have heard that NCL allows you to bid on upgrades in areas outside of the North American market(I believe)...interesting way to fill up those empty cabins!

It just seems so counter intuitive, doesn't it ?  It seems like they would LOVE to have someone pay them a reasonable amount to upgrade.  It seems to me that their options are (if they don't allow someone like you to upgrade) :  1)  Risk having that suite go unsold or  2)  Upgrade someone into that suite from below for nothing !  I guess the third option is, as @RCVoyager suggested, they would offer you an upsell down the road.  But why wait for that if you're wiling to upgrade now ?  

I'm hearing a lot of these similar scenarios lately and it just seems so short sighted to me for Royal to be so stubborn when it seems like a win-win for everyone ! 

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

On a kinda side note..I have heard that NCL allows you to bid on upgrades in areas outside of the North American market(I believe)...interesting way to fill up those empty cabins!

We were invited to bid on upgrades for our Thanksgiving cruise out of Miami later this year, so I would say North American market has it :)

@Paul&Karen I'll see you on board!  Anthem of the Seas, Dec. 2 out of New Jersey technically right?

I booked just last week and noted a small price drop this week.  I knew it was paid in full and consequently knew I would likely not be able to get a price adjustment.  My agent tried, but as expected, nothing.  She also tried an upgrade at additional cost which they declined.  She believes this hurricane season has been very costly to the cruise lines and they don't have the goodwill budget at this time, so they are sticking to the policy this far out, trying to sell as much as possible.  They did suggest inquiring about a possible upgrade at the terminal depending how the ships sells between now and then.    

I know that's disappointing but maybe you can try again closer to the sail date.

10 hours ago, L454S said:

Not sure about the commerce laws/rules involved, but I know the rules are different for people in Britain than in the US. I have done what you are attempting to do without issue. 

Sorry ladies and gents forgot to add. If we ring from Australia we are put straight onto RCCL American help desk, so talking with a Rep directly in America.

Cheers

2 hours ago, twangster said:

@Paul&Karen I'll see you on board!  Anthem of the Seas, Dec. 2 out of New Jersey technically right?

I booked just last week and noted a small price drop this week.  I knew it was paid in full and consequently knew I would likely not be able to get a price adjustment.  My agent tried, but as expected, nothing.  She also tried an upgrade at additional cost which they declined.  She believes this hurricane season has been very costly to the cruise lines and they don't have the goodwill budget at this time, so they are sticking to the policy this far out, trying to sell as much as possible.  They did suggest inquiring about a possible upgrade at the terminal depending how the ships sells between now and then.    

I know that's disappointing but maybe you can try again closer to the sail date.

I still don't understand why RC would turn down an upgrade request if the customer is willing to cover the difference even after final payment? How does that hurt their bottom line if someone is willing to give them more money? Like @WAAAYTOOO said it seems counter intuitive. I guess I better decide by December if I'm upgrading before I put my final payment down....

Actually, now I just thought of something else, if I upgraded before final payment would I now have to pay the $100pp change fee??

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Actually, now I just thought of something else, if I upgraded before final payment would I now have to pay the $100pp change fee??

Nope. There was a thread around this very topic in the last week or two. Someone did an upgrade from two balcony rooms to a suite, and was initially charged the change fee for the passengers in both rooms. After a lot of back and forth with customer service and supervisors / managers, it was finally confirmed that only the second room needed to pay that fee (because that was effectively a full cancellation, rather than simply moving to another room on the ship). The "first" room that was serving as the "base" room for the upgrade did not have to pay the change fee because those people were still on the same ship and same sailing date. So as long as you're already in one room and just upgrading to a better category, there should be no charges.

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Nope. There was a thread around this very topic in the last week or two. Someone did an upgrade from two balcony rooms to a suite, and was initially charged the change fee for the passengers in both rooms. After a lot of back and forth with customer service and supervisors / managers, it was finally confirmed that only the second room needed to pay that fee (because that was effectively a full cancellation, rather than simply moving to another room on the ship). The "first" room that was serving as the "base" room for the upgrade did not have to pay the change fee because those people were still on the same ship and same sailing date. So as long as you're already in one room and just upgrading to a better category, there should be no charges.

I believe that was bcarny that made that post.

5 minutes ago, rjac said:

I believe that was bcarny that made that post.

Nope, that was me. Bcarney was going from 2 insides to 2 outsides I believe and they wanted to take away his FCC. I went from 2 balconies to a FJ and they wanted to charge me $400 change fee. This NRD thing still confuses me a bit but the agents are all confused too. But now I'm considering a GS or FS and going by what @Paul&Karen and @twangster are saying I probably won't be able to upgrade after final payment even if I'm willing to pay the difference. 

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Nope, that was me. Bcarney was going from 2 insides to 2 outsides I believe and they wanted to take away his FCC. I went from 2 balconies to a FJ and they wanted to charge me $400 change fee. This NRD thing still confuses me a bit but the agents are all confused too. But now I'm considering a GS or FS and going by what @Paul&Karen and @twangster are saying I probably won't be able to upgrade after final payment even if I'm willing to pay the difference. 

Oops, my bad....but, bcarney did make a post sometime back about a great breakfast idea regarding hash brown potatoes and gravy....or was it curry.......it's  been a long day.....you know how stressful retired life can be. But I have found that making a "to do list" is helpful. The #1 thing on my to do list for tomorrow is......NOTHING.:3_grin:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Oops, my bad....but, bcarney did make a post sometime back about a great breakfast idea regarding hash brown potatoes and gravy....or was it curry.......it's  been a long day.....you know how stressful retired life can be. But I have found that making a "to do list" is helpful. The #1 thing on my to do list for tomorrow is......NOTHING.:3_grin:

I wish I knew what retired life was life @rjac...15 more long years before I can cruise whenever ?

Until then I will work so that I can cruise lol.

16 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That's very interesting.  I've never heard of Royal doing this.  Let us know how that goes !

NCL not Royal for this Thanksgiving ;) , I declined to bid ... I liked the cabin I chose, but the two other groups we are with bid on balcony/suite upgrades ... will let you know what their experience is.

13 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I wish I knew what retired life was life @rjac...15 more long years before I can cruise whenever ?

Until then I will work so that I can cruise lol.

I've got at least 12 years before I can think about retiring (and that would be "early", age 59 1/2). Two kids to get through college, younger won't be done until I'm 54 at the earliest, and that's assuming she doesn't take a gap year like her sister is planning to do.

Those of you who've reached that milestone and are enjoying the fruits of your labor, my hat's off to you!

@twangster and @Paul&Karen  just an FYI...I just called just to inquire about pricing to upgrade my Anthem sailing and I asked them hypothetically what would happen if I waited until final payment to upgrade instead.  They (RC) assured me that it would be perfectly fine as long as I am willing to pay the difference. Getting money back would be a no.  Then I went on further to ask if this would be considered a "new booking" and if I would lose out on my entire payment and they said most definitely not.  Might be worth a call back for both of you....

6 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

@twangster and @Paul&Karen  just an FYI...I just called just to inquire about pricing to upgrade my Anthem sailing and I asked them hypothetically what would happen if I waited until final payment to upgrade instead.  They (RC) assured me that it would be perfectly fine as long as I am willing to pay the difference. Getting money back would be a no.  Then I went on further to ask if this would be considered a "new booking" and if I would lose out on my entire payment and they said most definitely not.  Might be worth a call back for both of you....

TKS Sabrinaklai for your reply and taking the time to add to my/this post. 

Well that just makes me more angry at RCCL, I sent a cut and paste of my post, change very few words to RCCL Contacts page and the reply said the same, very blunt, straight to the point and I had to read it a few times as I took it they were having a bit of a dig at me. Bottom line again was no you will loose 3/4 of my money and be charged $6400 for the JNR Suite (more than original price). I was going to reply after a few days of cooling down and cancelled my next Christmas cruise with RCCL.........

I can't understand the issue, again happy to pay the difference.

Airlines do it, Hotels/Motels do it...hell I can even get an upgrade on my McDonalds Meal Deal for a few extra $$$$?

Maybe RCCL need to get with the times and have better or common replays across the board to their Help Desk. 

10 hours ago, Paul&Karen said:

TKS Sabrinaklai for your reply and taking the time to add to my/this post. 

Well that just makes me more angry at RCCL, I sent a cut and paste of my post, change very few words to RCCL Contacts page and the reply said the same, very blunt, straight to the point and I had to read it a few times as I took it they were having a bit of a dig at me. Bottom line again was no you will loose 3/4 of my money and be charged $6400 for the JNR Suite (more than original price). I was going to reply after a few days of cooling down and cancelled my next Christmas cruise with RCCL.........

I can't understand the issue, again happy to pay the difference.

Airlines do it, Hotels/Motels do it...hell I can even get an upgrade on my McDonalds Meal Deal for a few extra $$$$?

Maybe RCCL need to get with the times and have better or common replays across the board to their Help Desk. 

Wow. I just cannot wrap my head around that no matter what angle I try to see it from.  Someone wants to give you more money, they have space, how does that hurt their bottom line?? I would be very angry too because I cannot stand rules that aren't logical. Maybe like others have said the rules are different between North America and Australia? Still, that makes no sense....

On 10/11/2017 at 7:39 PM, rjac said:

@rjac you know waay too much about me.... LOL  :)

(it's corned beef hash covered in sausage gravy for breakfast, and curry for dinner)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE.

Had a phone call from RCCL yesterday 24 Oct, to my work phone. A lady explained she could offer a JNR Spa Suite. If I was to upgrade to a JNR Spa Suite the price would be $3000 on top of my $4463 (then changed the deal to $2500) so this put the suite at $6933 in total to inc fees.

I explained that you have JNR Suite Garrantee for $5800 and dropping in price over the last two weeks and inc $100 on board credit I explained that would be a change over,  (without fees) $1388 how about I pay that right now so you have sold a suite. Reply "no can't do that".

So lady's and gents we are no better off, RCCL will not drop the fees of $2200 if we would like to upgrade.

Its sad when other can make changes without fees and I cannot. I asked why, she wouldnt answer.

I then got alittle angry and asked is it because we are in Australia and certain rules or because I am military in the Army again wouldn't answer the question other than explaining this is the best deal they can do.

Again told the lady we are not cancelling our balcony only upgrading, no not interested.

So I said you have now lost a customer.

Take care everyone, travel safe where ever you go.

Paul & Karen

2 hours ago, BrianAlt said:

What's so bad about staying in the balcony cabin?  

@BrianAlt, I don't think the issue is staying in the balcony cabin. The issue is that the OP found a cabin upgrade option at what they deemed was a very reasonable price on Royal's own website, but when they tried to make that upgrade (OK, technically cancel and rebook) for that listed rate, they were refused and told they had to pay significantly more to get what they were looking for. Even when presented with direct evidence of what they were advertising. I have to agree that's rather untenable, and strikes me as another case in what seems to be a continuing trend: Royal has customers willing to pay extra money at what they've deemed a reasonable advertised amount to move up a cabin level, and Royal has told them absolutely not unless they pay what is effectively "sticker price" instead of the advertised sale rate.

It makes no sense to me; they're stubbornly holding out for passengers willing to pay full freight and risking totally losing those cabins, when they have existing passengers saying "shut up and take my money!" to fill that cabin, and then they have a "lower-grade" cabin available again that's easier to sell.

18 hours ago, Paul&Karen said:

UPDATE.

Had a phone call from RCCL yesterday 24 Oct, to my work phone. A lady explained she could offer a JNR Spa Suite. If I was to upgrade to a JNR Spa Suite the price would be $3000 on top of my $4463 (then changed the deal to $2500) so this put the suite at $6933 in total to inc fees.

I explained that you have JNR Suite Garrantee for $5800 and dropping in price over the last two weeks and inc $100 on board credit I explained that would be a change over,  (without fees) $1388 how about I pay that right now so you have sold a suite. Reply "no can't do that".

So lady's and gents we are no better off, RCCL will not drop the fees of $2200 if we would like to upgrade.

Its sad when other can make changes without fees and I cannot. I asked why, she wouldnt answer.

I then got alittle angry and asked is it because we are in Australia and certain rules or because I am military in the Army again wouldn't answer the question other than explaining this is the best deal they can do.

Again told the lady we are not cancelling our balcony only upgrading, no not interested.

So I said you have now lost a customer.

Take care everyone, travel safe where ever you go.

Paul & Karen

How unbelievably frustrating! 

I guess at this point it doesn't matter but are they offering you a "Going, Going, Gone" rate by any chance?? Because I do know that those rates require a brand new booking.  That is the only explanation that logically makes sense to me.

Try not to let it bring down your experience though and enjoy your cruise. ?

48 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

It makes no sense to me; they're stubbornly holding out for passengers willing to pay full freight and risking totally losing those cabins, when they have existing passengers saying "shut up and take my money!" to fill that cabin, and then they have a "lower-grade" cabin available again that's easier to sell.

It might make no sense to you, but we don't have all of the information.  We really don't know why they are making the decision they are making.  But to get so upset about it seems a little much to me.

10 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

It might make no sense to you, but we don't have all of the information.  We really don't know why they are making the decision they are making.  But to get so upset about it seems a little much to me.

Heh, I'm not personally upset by this. Just perplexed and wanting to understand. This strikes me as a very logical choice to make, and I'm a Vulcan at heart; seems to me there's some emotion going on at Royal's end that's incorrectly superseding the logic that should be applied in this situation. :10_wink: