twangster

Harmony Western 9/30-10/7 Recap

14 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I have to agree about the photos. They're all really impressive. Do you use a dedicated digital camera, or were these taken with just your smartphone and a lot of past experience?

Nikon D750 and a super wide angle lens aimed for low light.  The zip line photos are from my smartphone.  

I often use a technique called High Dynamic Range or HDR to help out with shots like on the bridge or at sunrise.  Those are a composite of 7 photos taken in rapid succession at vary light levels then combined later in software so the exposure outside and the exposure inside both look correct.  The photo of the suite lounge is an HDR and would be impossible to pull off without it.    

I often cruise solo and this hobby gives me something to do besides sitting in the pub :27_sunglasses:

I also do milky way night shots when I can get up into the mountains away from city lights.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I often use a technique called High Dynamic Range or HDR to help out with shots like on the bridge or at sunrise.  Those are a composite of 7 photos taken in rapid succession at vary light levels then combined later in software so the exposure outside and the exposure inside both look correct.  The photo of the suite lounge is an HDR and would be impossible to pull off without it.  

I think you're the first person I've met who does that manually, instead of using an app! And not just three different exposures like I've read is typically done, but 7! I can't imagine the time it must have taken to get all the shots lined up correctly in your editing tool, blend them properly, etc.

Did you use a tripod to lock the camera in position while changing the exposure of each shot, or does your camera body have a ring adjuster for exposure so you can dial it down/up while holding it steady and taking those rapid-fire shots?

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I think you're the first person I've met who does that manually, instead of using an app! And not just three different exposures like I've read is typically done, but 7! I can't imagine the time it must have taken to get all the shots lined up correctly in your editing tool, blend them properly, etc.

Did you use a tripod to lock the camera in position while changing the exposure of each shot, or does your camera body have a ring adjuster for exposure so you can dial it down/up while holding it steady and taking those rapid-fire shots?

Handheld.  Camera has a "bracketing" feature.  I simply hold the shutter down and it adjusts the exposure by the preset amount for each of the 7 pictures.  One normal exposure, 3 under and 3 over exposed.  Takes less than 2 seconds.  It can do 9 but that's overkill for most pictures.  

Adobe Lightroom makes it a snap to merge them into a final picture.  I shoot RAW which makes big files.  Biggest pain point is dealing with gigs and gigs of files then the time it takes to process them all afterwards.  But it's time well spent.  

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Handheld.  Camera has a "bracketing" feature.  I simply hold the shutter down and it adjusts the exposure by the preset amount for each of the 7 pictures.  One normal exposure, 3 under and 3 over exposed.  Takes less than 2 seconds.  It can do 9 but that's overkill for most pictures.  

Adobe Lightroom makes it a snap to merge them into a final picture.  I shoot RAW which makes big files.  Biggest pain point is dealing with gigs and gigs of files then the time it takes to process them all afterwards.  But it's time well spent.  

Need to cruise with you so I can learn the ways of The Force the camera.

21 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Love shooting to do HDR. Other than my Canon can only bracket three, so nothing as eye popping. My only issue is rendering in Lightroom kills my poor Surface.

This was from Allue last year, from my balcony.

20160512014310-11ee86db-me.jpg

I have the Canon 6i. I will be trying this technique during my holiday cruise.

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

I have the Canon 6i. I will be trying this technique during my holiday cruise.

The 6i supports auto bracketing as well as RAW+JPEG mode.  I love RAW because you can correct for so many "mistakes" made while shooting, or overcome challenging lighting and recover a lot with RAW files.  But they consume a lot more space.  You may want to play with it before your next cruise.  I'm still learning but after each use I learn more and more how to leverage HDR and when not to.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

The 6i supports auto bracketing as well as RAW+JPEG mode.  I love RAW because you can correct for so many "mistakes" made while shooting, or overcome challenging lighting and recover a lot with RAW files.  But they consume a lot more space.  You may want to play with it before your next cruise.  I'm still learning but after each use I learn more and more how to leverage HDR and when not to.  

Thank you for the info. I will take your advice.

Got my mojo running again. Think my up coming cruise on Oasis I'll be a bit more photo centric. Should be interesting hopefully with some Halloween centric shots.

Know I took some nice ones around Christmas on Oasis.

Just wondering, did you use a tripod on board?

3 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Just wondering, did you use a tripod on board?

I brought one but actually never used it on board.  That's the 2nd time I've done that.  

I did use it on Labadee this time for some experimental shots with an ND1000 filter.  Those didn't work the way I was hoping, but that's on me, still learning.  

It's 6lbs and since I fly that's a good part of my baggage allowance.  

I've learned you can do quite a bit without a tripod.  Still on the fence for my next cruise.  

Here is an example of a tripod shot using an ND1000 filter so that I could take an 8 second exposure in full daylight.  An ND1000 is a very dark filter.  It blocks so much light you can't see through the lens to focus.  The idea was to capture waves and blur them into a misty like state.  It didn't come out exactly as I hoped but you learn something with each attempt.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, twangster said:

When I upgraded my camera last year I passed my old camera down to my son.  Since then he has taken some incredible pictures with it, including some on Harmony he just shared with me.

Proud father, so have to add some of his to this thread. 

Harmoy Z Man-1.jpg

Harmoy Z Man-2.jpg

Harmoy Z Man-3.jpg

I love the "son of twangster" copyright haha. These are really good. I love that perspective of the Rising Tide Bar. Have never seen that before.