Low Fat Menu?

guittech

Hi Everyone,

So a recent hiccup in our upcoming vacation (ONE MONTH OUT!) Is that my missus is in need of surgery for Galstones.  The surgery should be late fall when we are home from the cruise.   She is doing okay, as we tend to eat a pretty low fat selection most of the time.  Its only when we go out somewhere awesome (and high fat) that she has issues, mainly intense pain.  We are trying to avoid that on our upcoming cruise!  I have heard that RCCL does a healthy menu option (for people with dietary needs/issues)  Is there a Low Fat menu available?  It doesn't need to be crazy low fat, but the truth is that she will be happier and healthier if we limit our splurges to occasional on the cruise.

Also, does anyone else have experience ordering Low Fat requests onboard?

Thanks!

I think she will be okay, The last time was an especially rich meal that did the damage so to speak.  I am just worried about the cumulative effect.  Normal meals fo us at home are quite low in fat, so an occasional dinner out isn't usually that bad, as long as we stay away from crazy rich food.  but eating "out" 3 meals a day might lead to issues.  I guess the key will be to ensure  hydration, not go crazy, and cut out fat where able to do so.

The "Specialty menu" is an option of last resort.

If your wife logs on to the My Cruises section of the RCI site, then clicks on the Profile tab, there will be an option "Onboard Preferences" in the left-side column. Click that, then scroll all the way down -- there's a section field labeled "Dietary Needs", with an option labeled "Low Fat". That should do the trick, but I'd say just verify it's on her entry when you check your table assignment in the MDR.

EDIT -- Should note that will only help with MDR dining, maybe for Specialty Dining if it shows up on the reservation (though I'd guess you'd still need to specifically ask for things like to not have the filet cooked and served in a small sea of butter). For the Windjammer or other walk-up venues, you'll most likely have to ask the serving staff if it's low-fat or find a section labeled as such.

Just remind your waiter at the MDR if she does put it in her preferences.

I used it for my last cruise (for gluten issues) and my waiter was not informed. I told him and he was very helpful from there on. I've heard that the info doesn't always make it to the MDR but it's still important to indicate for the ship's information. I feel like I remember low fat options on the MDR menu but I don't have anything to back it up. I think she'll be fine if she is aware of what she shouldn't eat to begin with.

I found there to be a lot of options for healthier eating while on board. Actually more than I expected. I know at Windjammer they offered grilled chicken and salmon along with really good grilled veggies at dinner. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, might just have to seek out a little advice in the MDR. With a little heads up in advance, I'm sure they can help you out.