Royal Caribbean has a lack of emapthy for hurricane victims

orcien

Royal Caribbean has a total lack of empathy towards customers that have been impacted by Hurricane Irma that have already paid for trips.

I reside in South Florida and my home was heavily damaged in the storm. I called Royal Caribbean to see if I could reschedule our trip or even transfer the tickets to someone else to go in our place. I was advised that I could not and the only option was to cancel, but if I cancel we would loose all of our money. 

I was hurt and angry that Royal Caribbean did not have any contingency plan in place for hurricane victims like myself that have been impacted. Royal Caribbean advised me that they could not make any type of exception. So we moved heaven and earth to make this trip so we would not lose all our money. Please note (we are still going on a trip while our home is still damaged and waiting on the insurance company so we can make repairs to date).

Today I received a email advising me that our itinerary has been changed to Jamaica and Nassau Bahamas. Once again I called into Royal Caribbean's Customer Service to see if there was anything that can be done and I was told "NO".

We would have never booked a trip to go to the ports that have been chosen for us for the amount of money that we are paying. We have visited those islands countless times and have spent way less. And I definitely did not want to spend my anniversary going back.

I am very angry and disappointed in the way that Royal Caribbean is handling this situation. I am also sadden that they don't have any type of alternative options for us. It shows a lack of empathy and total disregard for customers like myself.

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Did you buy trip insurance? 

14 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

"Home or Destination Inhabitable" is a covered reason on some Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption plans.  

Unfortunately we did not. We never needed it before. It’s a very expensive life lesson. 

1 minute ago, orcien said:

Unfortunately we didn’t. We never needed it before. 

I hate to say, but in this day and age of very unpredictable weather, terrorist attacks that can shut down a city or entire region, etc… trip insurance is about as mandatory with vacation planning as health insurance is to daily living.

Its generally not that expensive ($200-$300 for a policy that covers just about any Act of God situation, preexisting medical condition clause, etc. you can think of), at least relative to the cost of your vacation. And while you may not need it 19 times out of 20, knowing it’s there on that 20th time is, as the credit card ads say, “priceless”

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this "hell" --

A vacation is supposed to be something to recharge your battery and have a moment of stress-free living....

I think what amazes me the most is that you weren't able to transfer it to someone else..... Unless, of course, you're only a few days away, then it's not a Royal Caribbean thing, it's a Homeland Security thing.....

Try to relax, hopefully the insurance company will be able to take care a lot of the "red tape" while you're gone ...Oh, and Happy Anniversary.

Mark

35 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

A vacation is supposed to be something to recharge your battery and have a moment of stress-free living....

I think what amazes me the most is that you weren't able to transfer it to someone else..... Unless, of course, you're only a few days away, then it's not a Royal Caribbean thing, it's a Homeland Security thing.....

Try to relax, hopefully the insurance company will be able to take care a lot of the "red tape" while you're gone ...Oh, and Happy Anniversary.

Mark

37 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Mark

The cruise is in November. I immediately contacted them after the storm to see if they could work with me and they said no. Thank you so much I appreciate it. I am going to try and enjoy myself. 

8 minutes ago, craig403 said:

Where do you get your insurance from?  

We go back and forth on trip insurance.  Most of the time we get it especially if it is an expensive trip.  When we go out of Galveston we gamble and do not take it.

We normally purchase the Cruise line insurance but then I wonder about the close connection between the cruise line and the insurance company.  I know there are several companies and prices are all over the place but I have never taken the time to research all the exclusions in the policies.  That in itself is weird.  You spend all that money on the trip but then don't check out the details...

I go through USAA but you have to be a member. I've heard of many use Insuremytrip.com but I haven't used them (I think I priced it out and USAA had slightly better rates). I also used the cruise line insurance and found it is more expensive for us than other sites. The one thing is for it to cover pre-existing medical reasons the plan needs to be purchased within 30 days of deposit. We are traveling with my MIL on our next trip so really wanted to make sure of this as it wasn't something I ever thought of before for us. Trip insurance shouldn't be thought of as  only cruise insurance but also consider it for all-inclusive vacations and other expensive trips where there is upfront costs. 

OP, sorry to have this happen to you. I really hope that in the next month you can make some progress on your insurance and house where you feel comfortable enough to go and get away from it all.