Pre-cruise diet?!?

guittech

1 month away!!!!!

So, I have had a long fight with myself regarding weight loss/dieting.  It's  a whole thing.

Anyways, with 1 month out, and my weight still being a little "up" I am going to diet for a few weeks to create a "Buffer zone" for the cruise.  If I can lose 5 pounds, I won't be in such a panic when i put on 10 during the cruise!

Anyone else do this?  Or am I just crazy?

I am dieting/exercising and while I am not doing it because of the cruise, we (my son and I) are using the Cruise date as a "marker".  His original goal was for me to reach 220 by the cruise.  I now think that goal is iffy as the rate of decline has slowed.  Still I have lost 32 pounds so far (need another 30 to reach 220).  We are also working out at the gym and doing pull ups so we can conquer Liberty's climbing wall together.  I sure miss my cokes......

I do not diet pre cruise, but I also am in the gym regularly as well as taking the steps as much as possible to try to keep off the weight.  This next cruise I am going to try something new and add in a few protein shakes rather than snacking.  I know that I am on vacation but I do not want to pack on the needless pounds either! I feel that if I cut some of the indulgence out and make sure that I am actively burning calories that I can manage to keep the weight gain down to a minimum.

Nope, but I work out almost every day when I cruise to avoid gaining. Started from the first cruise I went on - had to squeeze into a very fitted, very expensive bridesmaid's dress that would not allow for an all day binge. Now it's just what I do, almost everyone thinks I'm nuts but I'm not complaining afterwards.

If it weren't for cruise I would probably never start a diet! Haha my wife and I both usually start dieting and doubling up gym time the few months before a cruise. I lost 20lbs before our cruise last month and gained about 7 during the 2 week span of our cruise/florida vacation. I'm really going to try harder at keeping a healthier weight and diet year round. 

I'm sure I am in the minority here but I usually LOSE weight on a cruise b/c the food I eat is so much better for me than the junk I usually eat at home.

While I probably eat more often on a cruise than I do at home, I definitely eat BETTER when I am on a cruise.

Not to worry about me wasting away.  I put it back on in RECORD time when I get home !

4 hours ago, guittech said:

Anyways, with 1 month out, and my weight still being a little "up" I am going to diet for a few weeks to create a "Buffer zone" for the cruise.  If I can lose 5 pounds, I won't be in such a panic when i put on 10 during the cruise!

I've tried this on a few cruises.  It sounds like a rationale idea, but I've found your body overcompensates once onboard (assuming of course you go back to eating "normally" on the ship).  I've found that even if I spent months losing weight and then eating poorly onboard, it all comes back in the matter of a week.  

I've given up on trying to drop a bunch of weight before the cruise since it results in weeks/months leading up to the cruise of aggravation, followed by the same end result following the cruise.

I don't diet, I work out every day, but I usually double up my workouts and cardio before going on any vacation, but this trip, I decided on at the last minute so I will be the slightly over weight older guy in the Solarium, it S*** getting old.

@rjac , no soda here either, water, coffee or maybe an iced tea...

This article is very helpful  to just be a guide as to how to avoid those dreaded pounds!! We've all been there!! I plan on doing the half portions where possible and walking and walking!

It's so hard to lose the weight to begin with and keeping it off is the trick!  Good luch!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1517

Between taking the stairs, Walking around the huge ships, fun dance classes & walking tour excursions, I break even.  I avoid Soda at all costs and am usually too busy to eat 3 meals a day.  

If I know I'm having Steak for dinner, I eat light during the day.  My only vice are those Caribbean drinks ;)

1 hour ago, Jason.H. said:

If it weren't for cruise I would probably never start a diet! Haha my wife and I both usually start dieting and doubling up gym time the few months before a cruise. I lost 20lbs before our cruise last month and gained about 7 during the 2 week span of our cruise/florida vacation. I'm really going to try harder at keeping a healthier weight and diet year round. 

Me too! It seems it's the only excuse that motivates me lol! I lost my 20lbs before this cruise and I stepped off the Allure on Sunday only 5lbs up. I think all the walking on that huge ship helped. Now if I could only lose the other 30lbs o need to get off before the liberty on February!

4 hours ago, guittech said:

1 month away!!!!!

So, I have had a long fight with myself regarding weight loss/dieting.  It's  a whole thing.

Here's a REAL tough one to do. Not try, but DO. Cut out ALL alcoholic beverages, this really works and it is tough. We went to relatives house in Rhode Island for a week  in August this year. Between the beer with lunch, happy hours drinks, wine with dinner (usually at 7:30 pm, way too late for my liking) followed by after dinner drinks on the deck  and no excercise at all I went from 217 lbs to 229! I felt and looked like crap! So, No liquor from August 23rd to Sept. 30th with an increase in my cardio excercises and change up in the weight training exercises I am now down to 213 lbs. I am allowing myself 2 small glasses of wine at dinner now. Feeling and looking better. Hopefully by next year's two week B2B on the Allure I will be well under 210 because I know what will happen! And it is true what they say about the salt air on a cruise ship.....it shrinks your clothes!:27_sunglasses:

1 minute ago, rjac said:

OH yeah, one other  benefit of stopping all the alcohol intake prior to a cruise is think of the potential savings in money. That savings can be used for to pay for your  drink package on board on your next cruise!:12_slight_smile:

Actually, you get a double benefit by cutting out the alcohol for a few months ahead of time. You get the up-front benefit of the reduced calorie intake, but you also get a secondary benefit that your alcohol tolerance quickly goes down. So when you finally board the ship, that lava flow or glass of scotch or pint of beer suddenly hits a lot harder. Now you're drinking more slowly. Slower drinking = fewer drinks a day = maybe no need for beverage package at all! :13_upside_down:

I actually started eating more a few weeks before the cruise to prep for all the food onboard, because I get stuffed so quickly otherwise.  I have a fast paced job, and just nibble enough throughout the day to get me through, so when I sat down with all the deliciousness onboard I took 2 bites and was done.  That had to stop.  So now I prep ??☕

8 hours ago, jce2 said:

We are also working out at the gym and doing pull ups so we can conquer Liberty's climbing wall together.  I sure miss my cokes......

Rock on! (pun intended).  I love rock climbing while onboard.  I'm no professional, but I think doing the pull ups with your palms facing away from you are the best for climbing prep (also seem to be the hardest).

20 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

Rock on! (pun intended).  I love rock climbing while onboard.  I'm no professional, but I think doing the pull ups with your palms facing away from you are the best for climbing prep (also seem to be the hardest).

Actually, at the Gold's Gym we go to they have a "assisted" device for doing pull-ups/chin-ups and besides the normal bars to hang onto they also have the same finger holds you find on the climbing wall, so we always do a few of those.

Guest toodle68

I exercise so I can eat more during the cruise. I spend an hour walking around the ship or going to the gym each day.. I know some people are horrified at the thought of exercising on vacation, but I am someone who gains a lb just looking at a cheesecake.

I want a nice breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert.. and those on a cruise ship likely come with a 5000+ cal price tag per day (on a good day)..  I just can't return home 10 lbs heavier.. I struggle every day with my weight so work to limit the 'damage' without having to restrict the joys of eating on the cruise.

I eat an extremely clean diet and have a strict training program pretty much year-round.  I exercise on the ship simply b/c I would be grouchy otherwise.  I also love that there are so many healthy options in the Windjammer and in the MDR.  I indulge on the ship with wine and cocktails, and I tend to have dessert at dinner.  I bring protein shakes and bars for in between meals, so I'm not starving and so that I don't overindulge at meals.  As someone else mentioned, between walking around the ship, taking the stairs & shore excursions, there's plenty of ways to burn off those extra calories.

The main reason for me chiming in on this topic, though is this ... traveling in general tends to make one retain water, especially flying.  No matter how well you eat or don't eat, you will tend to gain 5-10 lbs of water weight.  (I can gain 7 lbs of water overnight if my sodium intake is too high in one day or if I have a couple of glasses of wine.)  Typically, the day we get home, my weight will be down or stable & then 2-3 days later that extra "weight" shows up on the scale.  It's not fat, it's water.  And, as soon as I get my diet & exercise back to normal, that water weight slides back off.

My best advice?  Just stay off the scale for about 2 weeks after you get home.  Otherwise, you get discouraged & give up on dieting altogether.  It's an unhealthy mental game.

Lol, glad we are all a little crazy!  

More background, I used to be a very big boy, about 470 pounds.  I dropped about 210 pounds a few years back, but it's been a constant struggle.  at my lowest I was down to about 260, and people thought I looked sickly (I am 6'2)  It took a crazy level of activity and an insanely strict diet to hit that point.  by the end, I was walking about 15 miles a day, and eating under 1400 calories.  with almost no carbs.   But the truth is, that I was miserable.  I don't need to eat insane foods, but my metabolism is so slow, that  I would need to fast, while still walking 4 hours a day, to lose weight at this point.  My weight has rebounded back to 290, and I would really like to get back to 260-ish, but the crazy level of dieting and cardio needed to get there is a no go.  My knees are shot, between being as big as I was, and a motorcycle accident, so anything more intense than power walking blows out my knees.  I tried lifting weights for a year or so, but I am just not a "gym guy" and hated even the small amount i was okay with doing.

I don't drink alcohol, except special occasions, I've replaced the majority of my sugars with Stevia, and I still walk about 15 miles a day (24 km)

While on a cruise, I can usually be found walking for a few hours in the morning on the walking track, usually around 5 am.  and Occasionally I will do a few laps of stairs (From the lowest deck to the top deck at the stern, walk to the bow and go back down, repeat)

I have a Deep unhealthy love of doughnuts and pastries, which I try to only eat if I am doing a lot of activity.... that is my number one issue.  and my weight is up now because of pastries... Walking home from work it is SO EASY to stop at the bakery section of the market when I am getting meat and veggies to cook for dinner... one polish doughnut won't hurt right?

:D

It's all good.  Last cruise I only put on a few pounds, and it was mainly because I got a bad cold that went around and couldn't keep my activity level up.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I do bodybuilding competitions so I workout and eat healthy most of the time.  I am working harder to be leaner before the beginning of this cruise so I can look good in a bikini and also so I have a some buffer so I don't stress what I am eating all week.  I want to enjoy myself on vacation so if I start out leaner I won't feel guilty when I end up back  in my "Normal" weight range.  I used to be over 200lbs so I typically plan ahead and account for the extra calories on vacation.  

2 hours ago, guittech said:

Lol, glad we are all a little crazy!  

More background, I used to be a very big boy, about 470 pounds.  I dropped about 210 pounds a few years back, but it's been a constant struggle.  at my lowest I was down to about 260, and people thought I looked sickly (I am 6'2)  It took a crazy level of activity and an insanely strict diet to hit that point.  by the end, I was walking about 15 miles a day, and eating under 1400 calories.  with almost no carbs.   But the truth is, that I was miserable.  I don't need to eat insane foods, but my metabolism is so slow, that  I would need to fast, while still walking 4 hours a day, to lose weight at this point.  My weight has rebounded back to 290, and I would really like to get back to 260-ish, but the crazy level of dieting and cardio needed to get there is a no go.  My knees are shot, between being as big as I was, and a motorcycle accident, so anything more intense than power walking blows out my knees.  I tried lifting weights for a year or so, but I am just not a "gym guy" and hated even the small amount i was okay with doing.

I don't drink alcohol, except special occasions, I've replaced the majority of my sugars with Stevia, and I still walk about 15 miles a day (24 km)

While on a cruise, I can usually be found walking for a few hours in the morning on the walking track, usually around 5 am.  and Occasionally I will do a few laps of stairs (From the lowest deck to the top deck at the stern, walk to the bow and go back down, repeat)

I have a Deep unhealthy love of doughnuts and pastries, which I try to only eat if I am doing a lot of activity.... that is my number one issue.  and my weight is up now because of pastries... Walking home from work it is SO EASY to stop at the bakery section of the market when I am getting meat and veggies to cook for dinner... one polish doughnut won't hurt right?

:D

It's all good.  Last cruise I only put on a few pounds, and it was mainly because I got a bad cold that went around and couldn't keep my activity level up.

Thanks for all the great advice!

It is absolutely possible to repair your metabolism to help you lose weight again.  At your height and weight you should be losing weight while eating 2500 calories a day and exercising a few times per week.  You really don't need to be doing that much cardio, and it can be counter productive to weight loss.  If at all possible find a coach to help you repair your metabolism.  It can be done! 

1 hour ago, knavy said:

It is absolutely possible to repair your metabolism to help you lose weight again.  At your height and weight you should be losing weight while eating 2500 calories a day and exercising a few times per week.  You really don't need to be doing that much cardio, and it can be counter productive to weight loss.  If at all possible find a coach to help you repair your metabolism.  It can be done! 

I've been working on it for 5 years, since I had some medical issues.  To be honest, I am not looking to lose all that much weight.  As for the Cardio, that is more of my habit.  I walk to and from work, If it's in my end of the city (Toronto, East end) I walk if it's just me.  It's less of an "exercise" and more of a habit.  My doc is researching metabolism stuff with me, and I am okay.  I spent a year adding more strength training, and to be honest I hated it.  The extra protein made me bulk more, and that is more of an issue than the weight increase.  This isn't a weight loss blog though, so I'll refrain from getting much more into it.  Needless to say, it's being worked on.  I am happier and healthier than i have been since high school, and that was 24 years ago.  Just trying to build a buffer zone for my inevitable cruise weight, when I order lattes without low fat milk/stevia for a week.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:22 AM, guittech said:

1 month away!!!!!

Not crazy at all!! One of the many things  that I most look forward to while on Vacation (especially cruises) is eating with no guilt. Although I don't eat until I'm uncomfortable like I did when I was younger, i do not think twice about grabbing an extra snack at the cafe promenade or having two desserts at dinner. So loosing a few pounds precruise is always part of my SOP.