Main Dining Room Seating

Aaron

On other lines we've travelled with, we've been able to give a preference for table size in the main dining room. Does this happen with Royal Caribbean? As it's just we two, we enjoy dining with others to give a little variety, but a table of 4 is too small (awkward if you don't get on!), but, equally, we don't want to be lost on a table of 12 like we're at a noodle bar! 6 or 8 is always our preference - can this be taken into account, or is it just a case of keeping our fingers crossed?

You can call  prior to the cruise and see if they can help, sometimes they can, sometimes not.  On boarding day we go to the dining room and find our table, mainly so we don't have to hunt at dinner time but also see how big it is.  If you do this and its not to your liking, the maître d' will be around for you to ask if something can be done.  I would do this as early as possible since there is usually a line wanting to change tables. 

I've always been when I book - what size table I'd like and if I'd like first or second seating. 

My friend and I prefer a sharing table of 8-10 but note that your table mates may not show up!  Earlier this year we were on a table for 8 and there was only one other couple on the table and they didn't come to dinner every night

2 hours ago, Sarah said:

Earlier this year we were on a table for 8 and there was only one other couple on the table and they didn't come to dinner every night

100% had this happen. I prefer a bigger table with more people but I'm the more the merrier type and love to get to know new people on cruises. Saying that - I work in NYC and avoid people like they have the plague in my regular life.

I totally understand your concern - its always a total crapshoot if you end up with compatible table mates.  My wife and I have only been seated at a four top once before, all others were six tops and up.  Luckily the other couple at the four top was very nice and we had an enjoyable time talking with them.  Our last cruise we sat at a 12 top and we ended up pairing off as two groups of six.... and the two groups never said a word to each other.  It wasn't awkward, we just really had a lot in common with the other four people at our end of the table and it was nonstop conversation!

My suggestion, see what you get and you can always get it changed after the first night.  That is especially important on a longer cruise - we have been lucky and only had one cruise where we could not STAND the obnoxious drunks we were seated with and asked (insisted) to be moved to another table.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:42 PM, NeonD7 said:

I totally understand your concern - its always a total crapshoot if you end up with compatible table mates.  My wife and I have only been seated at a four top once before, all others were six tops and up.  Luckily the other couple at the four top was very nice and we had an enjoyable time talking with them.  Our last cruise we sat at a 12 top and we ended up pairing off as two groups of six.... and the two groups never said a word to each other.  It wasn't awkward, we just really had a lot in common with the other four people at our end of the table and it was nonstop conversation!

My suggestion, see what you get and you can always get it changed after the first night.  That is especially important on a longer cruise - we have been lucky and only had one cruise where we could not STAND the obnoxious drunks we were seated with and asked (insisted) to be moved to another table.

Thanks for the feedback. RC just called actually as I emailed another query, and so I asked for an eight person table, which they said they can accommodate. We usually go for six, but thought we'd be brave and increase it this time.