What you can take in your carry on

ekaiser0328

So I’m curious as to what I can “get away with” taking in my carry on. I’ve heard that depending on the security person, you can get away with 1 or 2 bottles of water and then of course the 2 bottles of wine. But what I was wondering was if I could get away with 5 hour energy shots. The reason I ask is because I’m a bit sensitive when it comes to coffee but 5 hours don’t bother me at all and I’m 29 going on what feels like 79 when it comes to the times I am normally asleep. So I figured 5 hour energy shots would be the way to go if I could get them on without being confiscated. Any help and any additional items that are “in-the-know” items that I can carry on would be greatly appreciated. 

Two bottles of wine is good, I've seen people carry on a case of water.  Remember your room won't open up until 1 or 2 so you have to carry it around.  I don't see an issue with the 5 hour, as long as they are sealed you should be fine.  I just don't have any experience with it.  You can always call RC and see what they say.

Two bottles of wine is a stated rule that you may bring.

Bottled water and soft drinks are beverages that are technically against the rules, but security will look the other way.  Be sure to pack any of that in your carry on luggage, and not the luggage you give to the porters.

There are many of us here that use these luggage tag holders for the suitcases that the porters deliver yo your cabin: Cruise Luggage Tag Holder Zip Seal & Steel - Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruise. They are available on Amazon, inexpensive and very durable. Jane's idea above about the smaller rolling suitcase for your carry ons is a good idea, I usually get stuck with the super heavy backpack. :27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, rjac said:

There are many of us here that use these luggage tag holders for the suitcases that the porters deliver yo your cabin: Cruise Luggage Tag Holder Zip Seal & Steel - Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruise. They are available on Amazon, inexpensive and very durable. Jane's idea above about the smaller rolling suitcase for your carry ons is a good idea, I usually get stuck with the super heavy backpack. :27_sunglasses:

The luggage tags are awesome... don't remember which ones I got but the plastic sleeves have lasted 3 cruises and still are in great shape.   So much nicer than worrying about the paper tags.  Jane

2 hours ago, rjac said:

I’m pretty sure those are actually the tags I got! ?  We only have 2 rolling suitcases. I might check with the ‘rents to see if they by chance have a small one I can borrow. It’d definitely be easier! Thanks y’all!

33 minutes ago, ekaiser0328 said:

I’m pretty sure those are actually the tags I got! ?  We only have 2 rolling suitcases. I might check with the ‘rents to see if they by chance have a small one I can borrow. It’d definitely be easier! Thanks y’all!

Sounds good. Check with your friends also. I think my wife found her small spinner suitcase at TJ Maxx, check there if you have one near you. By the way, welcome aboard, don't be afraid to ask any questions and have fun on your cruise!:27_sunglasses:

My wife always has a purse or back pack, I have the to heavy back pack and we bring a roller with us that has medication, swim suites, change of clothes in case our luggage is late and some toiletries. Since we usually show up a day early, the roller also works as our first night hotel so we don't have to open the big suite cases.

@rjac is right, go to TJ Maxx or Kohl's they always have in expensive small rollers.

Biggest tip I can give is not to bring a big carry on...imho, nothing worse than having to drag that around for hours. Its much easier to explore and see and enjoy the ship for those first few hours without having to lug around  or carry a big bag.

That first cpl hours on board it so exciting and lots to see and do...

As for the 5hr, prob not an issue, but they do have redbull on board and usually flavored ones as well which go great with some flavored vodka for the sail away party on the pool deck!

13 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

How about a list of things NOT to bring in a carry on:

• your neighbor
  • a goldfish in a bowl
  • an uncooked ham
  • a sofa

Anyone think of any others?

Way to burst my bubble!! I totally wanted to bring my pet turtles! And I guess I'll unpack my sofa too. Ugh! My trip is ruined now! ;)

24 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Biggest tip I can give is not to bring a big carry on...imho, nothing worse than having to drag that around for hours. Its much easier to explore and see and enjoy the ship for those first few hours without having to lug around  or carry a big bag.

So will I not be able to drop my carry on in my cabin? I know my other items won't be there, but that way I can at least go and drop it and then just enjoy the ship.

1 minute ago, ekaiser0328 said:

So will I not be able to drop my carry on in my cabin? I know my other items won't be there, but that way I can at least go and drop it and then just enjoy the ship.

You won't be able to get into your cabin until around 1:30 and you might get on the ship 11:30 or earlier.  You can explore and have lunch before you get into your cabin. 

I carry a shoulder bag, I have no issue with it.  Others have small wheelies to crazy sized ones.  Smaller the better, is my advice.

You actually need a carry on if you plan to bring wine on with you.

44 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

You won't be able to get into your cabin until around 1:30 and you might get on the ship 11:30 or earlier.  You can explore and have lunch before you get into your cabin. 

I carry a shoulder bag, I have no issue with it.  Others have small wheelies to crazy sized ones.  Smaller the better, is my advice.

You actually need a carry on if you plan to bring wine on with you.

OH! Ok. I didn't think it was that late. Or I just got on the boat later than 1:30 in the past and was able to drop my carry on and explore. 

6 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Agree with @BrianAlt I have a shoulder bag and a very small wheeled bag, but if you don't need it check everything and explore as already stated.

I'm actually borrowing a small wheeled suit case from my parents to take as my carry on. That way I can fit my wine, a change of clothes/bathing suit in case we decide to pool it up before our luggage gets there. Plus our dinner time is at 5:30 so it'll be nice to make sure I have my dinner clothes with me.

14 minutes ago, ekaiser0328 said:

I'm actually borrowing a small wheeled suit case from my parents to take as my carry on. That way I can fit my wine, a change of clothes/bathing suit in case we decide to pool it up before our luggage gets there. Plus our dinner time is at 5:30 so it'll be nice to make sure I have my dinner clothes with me.

These are the main reason, I've only had my luggage late one time, but it convinced me to start going the carry on route.

For the carry on, do they open and physically search your bag or does it go through a metal detector? Want to make sure I'm not jamming it full of stuff if they're going to paw through it all and I'll have to refold everything!

Edited to add: are there size restrictions?

At the port, you will go through both metal detector and carry on bag x-ray. Getting on board the ship, hand wand metal detector and bag x-ray. I haven't seen any bags being opened on the cruises we have been on, but that's not to say it does not happen. As far as the size, it's up to you. Your room may not be ready for you when you board, so, you will have to carry/drag whatever you carry/drag on board until your room is ready. What the majority of the experienced cruisers here do is a small carry on or back pack with the essential stuff, ie, medications, camera, passports, bathing suits, etc. You want your cruise vacation to start the minute you step on board the ship. The less stuff you are dragging around, the more enjoyable the experience will be. 

Welcome aboard, enjoy your cruise and fire away with any and all questions! :27_sunglasses:

37 minutes ago, rjac said:

At the port, you will go through both metal detector and carry on bag x-ray. Getting on board the ship, hand wand metal detector and bag x-ray. I haven't seen any bags being opened on the cruises we have been on, but that's not to say it does not happen. As far as the size, it's up to you. Your room may not be ready for you when you board, so, you will have to carry/drag whatever you carry/drag on board until your room is ready. What the majority of the experienced cruisers here do is a small carry on or back pack with the essential stuff, ie, medications, camera, passports, bathing suits, etc. You want your cruise vacation to start the minute you step on board the ship. The less stuff you are dragging around, the more enjoyable the experience will be. 

Welcome aboard, enjoy your cruise and fire away with any and all questions! :27_sunglasses:

Thank you!

We are travelling on the Indy on October 29th from Southampton and have been told there are no self service laundry however do they supply an iron on request or have and area to iron clothes? We have a travel iron, would we be able to take this with us?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RoyB
spelling

I can't answer about Indy specifically, but generally across the board RCL does not allow irons in the cabins. There is not a place to iron that I know of. You can send garments out to be pressed, that offer that service for a fee.

Typically anything with a heating element in it is not allowed, RCL provides hair dryer's.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Judy Rouse said:

Confused a bit about the '2 bottles of wine' mentioned in this thread.  Are we allowed to carry-on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom on embarkation day?  Or is it 2 bottles of wine per adult?

Two bottles of wine per stateroom during embarkation only. 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, BrianAlt said:

How about a list of things NOT to bring in a carry on:

• your neighbor
  • a goldfish in a bowl
  • an uncooked ham
  • a sofa

Anyone think of any others?

OK, here's a few-  Barbicide, a Flamethrower and a Shetland Pony.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg