Hurricane Jose couldn't stop us from having fun on Grandeur

coneyraven

Never were truer words spoken than what I typed in the title ......

My wife, Tyna, and I did the exact same cruise last week, that we did last year --- A 5-nighter to Bermuda, in September, on Grandeur OTS out of Baltimore.

Expecting the same experience as last year was our first mistake -- even though the ship, cabin, itinerary were identical, the cruise experience was completely different, yet, so much fun.....

First off, I must give a "Shout Out" to the Cruise Maryland staff ...... We pulled in the parking lot at about 9:45 and were on the ship by 10:45 ..... had our first Bloody Mary in hand by 11:00 ---- The perfect way to start and enjoy our "Breakfast of Champions"

Now mind you, we, along with others that we had made contact with, were watching The Weather Channel like a hawk..... we knew it wasn't going to be easy thanks to Jose, and we were right (I scoped the water splashing out of the swimming pool - who needs a Flowrider?  Right?) ----

I must give a lot of credit to the Captain ..... normally, as you come out of the Chesapeake, you go south towards Cape Hatteras, then a track SE to Bermuda ---This time, we came out of the bay, we went due east to stay ABOVE the storm, then arrive at Bermuda from the north ---- Then, on the way back, we stayed to the south of the storm all the way west, then went north to the Bay...... as we were in Bermuda, Jose passed to our west ..... we did a sort of loop around it...... Perfect.  NEVER DID WE EVER THINK OUR SAFETY, OR THE SHIPS STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY WAS IN ANY JEOPARDY!!!

Fortunately, through all this planning, my wife bought every conceivable seasickness remedy she could find "Just in Case" --- People got sick on this cruise because of the motion (luckily, we weren't two of them) ---- I'd file that under the category "Proper Planning" ....

Now, to get to the fun ---- the vision my wife had was to enjoy relaxing around the pool, enjoying some frosty beverages and listening to the calypso music ....... yeah, outside of Sail-Away in Baltimore and again as we left Bermuda ---  that just didn't happen (in fact, they drained all pools and shut down the top outdoor deck AND the Promenade Deck that wraps around the ship under the life boats because of the wind and the rocking....Plus, in Bermuda, many excursions were canceled due to rough seas ..... Fortunately, again, knowing what the weather was going to be like - we rescheduled our snorkeling excursion to instead, visit the Crystal Caves (I highly recommend)

For us, we took what many considered to be lemons, and turned them into lemonade..... We just let each day "happen" and see where it takes us ..... Tyna caught me on video ATTEMPTING to dance to Thriller on the Centrum Stage night one ..... It was as ugly as you can imagine (Thanks Bud Lite) --- even as I type this, I'm chuckling ...... so much fun.  On another day, we did the Sushi Making Class in Izumi (I tolerate Sushi at best -- she loves it) --- it was so much fun, hers looked it was done by a professional, not to be gross, mine looked like a turd --- We laughed so hard for hours over that.

One evening, we watched Beauty and the Beast (the new version) on the big screen ..... Yes, my "man card" got taken away on that one, but so did a lot of others ....incredibly peaceful.

We met some amazing people, saw some people that were on with us last time, that not only joined us this time, but also will be sailing with is in April of 2019.  Once again, I'm shown how, when you're on a cruise, you're amongst family.

Here are a few pictures --- including Tyna during the Sushi making class .... and .... us doing a little smoochie, smoochie in one of Bermuda's famous Moongates (with Grandeur in the background) --- a stunning shot if you ask me.

Anyhow, lessons learned .... be prepared for the weather, don't expect your next cruise to be anything like your prior cruises, and go with the flow and let yourself be stupid and have fun --- even if that includes attempting to dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (I'm laughing again as I type this)

Oh, and next time we go to Bermuda -- and yes, we are, it'll be October of 2018 --- still in Hurricane season , just not at its prime.

Mark

21752322_1854742191209715_2527441688861877311_n.jpg

21740253_1854967367853864_174994484453867899_n.jpg

21615995_1857673960916538_923076310469843821_n.jpg

21616415_1858581027492498_4896831637633046200_n.jpg

21761936_1859578897392711_6297628057272630878_n.jpg

21764850_10214506249918262_1401246131562687724_n.jpg

Great post, Mark, and awesome job making all that lemonade and having what sounds like a fantastic time!

I know there was another post here or in one of the other forums that either included pics of the Crystal Caves or gave a link to the official site, but if you have any pics of your own I'd love to see them. I don't know if I can convince my wife to do that on our trip to Bermuda next year, but maybe if I can show her enough photos... or a hurricane comes nearby again when we're there... :51_scream:

And that was great to read about how the captain navigated you to keep clear of the storm and still make it to Bermuda. One of my mom's co-workers went out on Anthem just this past weekend for what should have been a Bermuda cruise of her own, and the timing wasn't vs. Jose's location wasn't in their favor. Jose forced a complete itinerary change and she's going to Maine and Nova Scotia instead. Hopefully she can also make good lemonade out of those lemons, especially since it's her first cruise ever!

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Glad you had a good time despite the storm!

How could you NOT have a good time when you're on a cruise ...... I believe the real trick is allowing yourself to be flexible with whatever comes down the pike.  Those that are real rigid with their plans would've had a lousy time on this one ..... Nothing went according to plan, not even the belly-flop contest, (CANCELED!)

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

How could you NOT have a good time when you're on a cruise ...... I believe the real trick is allowing yourself to be flexible with whatever comes down the pike.  Those that are real rigid with their plans would've had a lousy time on this one ..... Nothing went according to plan, not even the belly-flop contest, (CANCELED!)

Being flexible is not a strong point of mine. Glad you had a great time but I believe there was a misquote in your post. You did mean to say, that you had your first Bloody Maryland in hand by 11:00, yes? :10_wink:

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Being flexible is not a strong point of mine. Glad you had a great time but I believe there was a misquote in your post. You did mean to say, that you had your first Bloody Maryland in hand by 11:00, yes? :10_wink:

I wish, stupid me, I completely forgot that I had packed my Old Bay Seasoning just for this.

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Great post, Mark, and awesome job making all that lemonade and having what sounds like a fantastic time!

I know there was another post here or in one of the other forums that either included pics of the Crystal Caves or gave a link to the official site, but if you have any pics of your own I'd love to see them. I don't know if I can convince my wife to do that on our trip to Bermuda next year, but maybe if I can show her enough photos... or a hurricane comes nearby again when we're there... :51_scream:

And that was great to read about how the captain navigated you to keep clear of the storm and still make it to Bermuda. One of my mom's co-workers went out on Anthem just this past weekend for what should have been a Bermuda cruise of her own, and the timing wasn't vs. Jose's location wasn't in their favor. Jose forced a complete itinerary change and she's going to Maine and Nova Scotia instead. Hopefully she can also make good lemonade out of those lemons, especially since it's her first cruise ever!

Here ya go...... Crystal Caves ...... Here's what's really amazing.... the AVERAGE depth of the lake is 40 ft.

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

9 minutes ago, Floski said:

...and yet, no picture of the turd.

I am disappoint.

Brace yourself for this one ....... You do realize I'm laughing again ..... it's just too pathetic .... I'm just glad it tasted good --- An artist I am not.  Needless to say, you should know which one was mine and which one was from my wife, the perfectionist.

Although, you know, I could always blame it on Jose

IMG_4439.JPG

46 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Brace yourself for this one ....... You do realize I'm laughing again ..... it's just too pathetic .... I'm just glad it tasted good --- An artist I am not.  Needless to say, you should know which one was mine and which one was from my wife, the perfectionist.

IMG_4439.JPG

Hey, I wasn't even looking at your ship when you were doing that!

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:
1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

BRB booking a cruise to Bermuda.

Come join us for the 7-nighter NEXT October ---- 3 Sea Days and 3 Days in Bermuda --- We'll be on the ship for Halloween which should be a lot of fun. 

Nah, he'll be on Grandeur. Come up to Cape Liberty and sail out on Anthem with us on our October cruise!

To paraphrase Iron Man: C'mon, you want to be on the humdrum ship or the fun ship?

:10_wink: :3_grin:

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Nah, he'll be on Grandeur. Come up to Cape Liberty and sail out on Anthem with us on our October cruise!

To paraphrase Iron Man: C'mon, you want to be on the humdrum ship or the fun ship?

:10_wink: :3_grin:

Anthem --- The "Where's the Viking Crown Lounge?" Ship ---- 

5 hours ago, coneyraven said:

IMG_4439.JPG

Oh.  My.

I'm glad I didn't step in it!  

I keed, I keed! :1_grinning:

9 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Sounds and looks like it was a great time...cant complain when on a cruise imho!

Those caves look pretty cool. I swam in caves like that in Varadero Cuba....it was quite an eerie experience....but one to remember!!

That's awesome ..... I think what amazed me more was the fact that the average depth was 40 feet, yet, you could clearly see the bottom ..... Plus, there are no fish in the lake.  Also, it is ocean water and rises and falls with the tides.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:18 PM, coneyraven said:

I wish, stupid me, I completely forgot that I had packed my Old Bay Seasoning just for this.

@coneyraven I noticed you have been on Grandeur alot and have it booked again. (we both live near Baltimore I know!)  I'm booked for the may 5 night cruise and Sept 7 night to Bermuda with the Pride (sorry I booked that one, but hoping for the best), Is it weird to be thinking about another curise in July on Grandeur going to Bermuda 3 times in one year? Have't been there in 30 years, I love the island and I love cruising. Just want your opinion! thank you!! 

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

@coneyraven I noticed you have been on Grandeur alot and have it booked again. (we both live near Baltimore I know!)  I'm booked for the may 5 night cruise and Sept 7 night to Bermuda with the Pride (sorry I booked that one, but hoping for the best), Is it weird to be thinking about another curise in July on Grandeur going to Bermuda 3 times in one year? Have't been there in 30 years, I love the island and I love cruising. Just want your opinion! thank you!! 

I wouldn't call it weird at all -- Bermuda can't be experienced in one visit ---- For example ..... Visit #1 (2016) -- Horseshoe Bay and Dockyard Shops --- Visit #2 (2017) -- Crystal Caves, Hamilton and Dockyard Restaurant (had a fantastic meal at the Frog & Onion pub) --- Visit #3 (2018), Since now we'll be in Bermuda for 2 nights with a Full Day in between, we're going to devote that full day strictly to St. George and everything up at that end of the island.  As for the other two days, who know, we may go back to Horseshoe plus we want to try the Anchor Restaurant, we may do that the first night we're there.

Bermuda is gorgeous .... it's worth going to repeatedly, and for those that haven't been there, you're truly missing one of the gems of the Atlantic.

6 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

I wouldn't call it weird at all -- Bermuda can't be experienced in one visit ---- For example ..... Visit #1 (2016) -- Horseshoe Bay and Dockyard Shops --- Visit #2 (2017) -- Crystal Caves, Hamilton and Dockyard Restaurants --- Visit #3 (2018), Since now we'll be in Bermuda for 2 nights with a Full Day in between, we're going to devote that full day strictly to St. George and everything up at that end of the island.  As for the other two days, who know, we may go back to Horseshoe plus we want to try the Anchor Restaurant, we may do that the first night we're there.

Bermuda is gorgeous .... it's worth going to repeatedly, and for those that haven't been there, you're truly missing one of the gems of the Atlantic.

It really is one of the gems.  I thought you would say what you did, but wanted your opinion just in case and I take it you really like the Grandeur too? I like the size of the ship as well. I think I'm going to book 5 night again for July for our anniversary!

Thank you so very much!!

14 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

It really is one of the gems.  I thought you would say what you did, but wanted your opinion just in case and I take it you really like the Grandeur too? I like the size of the ship as well. I think I'm going to book 5 night again for July for our anniversary!

Thank you so very much!!

We absolutely love the ship .... for us -- it is absolutely perfect .... the kids are grown so we don't need a lot of those " bells & whistles" that the newer ships have, plus, we just love how you become part of a "family" of crew and passengers.  We've met so many great people, some of which we cruised with last year and will be cruising again with in the future.

To us, Grandeur is like the Goldilocks of ships --Not too big, Not too small ---Just right.

Mark

29 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

We absolutely love the ship .... for us -- it is absolutely perfect .... the kids are grown so we don't need a lot of those " bells & whistles" that the newer ships have, plus, we just love how you become part of a "family" of crew and passengers.  We've met so many great people, some of which we cruised with last year and will be cruising again with in the future.

To us, Grandeur is like the Goldilocks of ships --Not too big, Not too small ---Just right.

Mark

You just convinced me even more! We are like you, we don't need the bells and whistles either, we like to relax, read, have a few cocktails that's about it! Thanks so much Mark!!

Lorraine

46 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Mark

I love Grandeur of the Seas. We are booked on the 9 day cruise in June 2018. We have been on the ship 10 times.

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

Mark

I'm curious, since the kids are grown and you don't need those kid-friendly amenities -- have you considered trying out Celebrity or another line that caters more to (not necessarily older) couples and less to families? Or is Grandeur not only the Goldilocks of Royal's fleet for you, but is Royal itself your Goldilocks of cruise lines?

29 minutes ago, Sweety said:

I love Grandeur of the Seas. We are booked on the 9 day cruise in June 2018. We have been on the ship 10 times.

Wow!1 10 times!! Now I am more convinced we are doing the right thing.  It looks like just what we want and Baltimore is so close for us.  We are booked on 2 Celebrity Cruises in 2019, but wanted to add one more for 2018. I like just cruising, bermuda is just the added bonus. Thanks so much Sweety!!

Lorraine  

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'm curious, since the kids are grown and you don't need those kid-friendly amenities -- have you considered trying out Celebrity or another line that caters more to (not necessarily older) couples and less to families? Or is Grandeur not only the Goldilocks of Royal's fleet for you, but is Royal itself your Goldilocks of cruise lines?

Good question ..... First of all, Celebrity doesn't go out of Baltimore (point goes to Grandeur) --- In all honesty, I never really gave Celebrity a thought.  I would be curious, perhaps, to get a book of itineraries in order to familiarize myself with them and their ships.  I think I'll order one.  Thanks for the idea.

43 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Good question ..... First of all, Celebrity doesn't go out of Baltimore (point goes to Grandeur) --- In all honesty, I never really gave Celebrity a thought.  I would be curious, perhaps, to get a book of itineraries in order to familiarize myself with them and their ships.  I think I'll order one.  Thanks for the idea.

No problem. I've noticed that, at least for Mediterranean / Adriatic cruises, they seem to have some better offerings than what Royal has (either in terms of length or port selection). Not so sure about their US itineraries, as I haven't really looked. But I did notice that with Celebrity, Bermuda cruises seem to always be 7-night offerings instead of the more typical 5 that Royal offers. On the flip side, Celebrity's offerings for Scandinavia seem to pale in comparison to what Royal offers, at least with regard to Norway and especially Iceland offerings.

I'm considering a couple of those Mediterranean options myself for a 50th birthday trip; I'd like to bring the kids, though, and they'd have to be cool with being on a ship that doesn't cater to teens so much. Of course, those are really port-intensive trips and the lack of on-ship amenities for the younger set might not be as big a deal to them vs. being able to see those locations.

Bummer that Celebrity doesn't sail out of Baltimore. It's definitely a nice plus having a cruise port with offerings you want to take real close to your home!

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

Wow!1 10 times!! Now I am more convinced we are doing the right thing.  It looks like just what we want and Baltimore is so close for us.  We are booked on 2 Celebrity Cruises in 2019, but wanted to add one more for 2018. I like just cruising, bermuda is just the added bonus. Thanks so much Sweety!!

Lorraine  

You are welcome!!! June-Grandeur and December -Anthem