Transfer Question

ekaiser0328

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Here's the situation. My grandparents booked 2 separate state rooms for them and my parents to go on Oasis in November, however, my grandfather's health is declining and it is now up in the air if they are even going to be able to make the cruise. Both have said that if they don't go, they would try and transfer the reservation to my SO and myself. I've seen where the names can be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing as long as one of the original names remains on the reservation. My question is if my parents are still going, even being in a separate state room with a separate booking number, does that still constitute as an "original name" remaining on the reservation if they were made at the same time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

If you can keep at least 1 person on the original reservation, you can change names without an issue.

If you want to change all the names on a reservation, then you run into issues because the price is subject to change.  Same is true if you add more people than were originally on the reservation.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you can keep at least 1 person on the original reservation, you can change names without an issue.

If you want to change all the names on a reservation, then you run into issues because the price is subject to change.  Same is true if you add more people than were originally on the reservation.

See that's where I'm getting confused. The reservation was made with 4 people (my mom, dad, grandfather, and grandmother) and 2 staterooms. So the new plan would be my mom, dad, boyfriend and myself. So still 4 people and 2 staterooms and still having my mom and dad on the whole reservation.

Is a single reservation considered a single stateroom (mom and dad = 1 reservation and grandparents = 1 reservation) even if it was booked together? Sorry about being confused and not possibly making sense, this will be my 4th cruise but my first time encountering this situation.

6 hours ago, ekaiser0328 said:

Is a single reservation considered a single stateroom (mom and dad = 1 reservation and grandparents = 1 reservation) even if it was booked together? Sorry about being confused and not possibly making sense, this will be my 4th cruise but my first time encountering this situation.

I believe that’s correct, looking at my own booking for my family cruise next year. We are also two staterooms (connecting). Wife and I in one room, kids in the other. And when I log in to “My Cruises”, I see that each room is a different reservation number even though we all booked at the same time and through the same TA.

@Matt, would it make a difference if the reservations were linked on RCI’s end?

Each room usually has a separate booking number. What I'd recommend doing now is switch one of your grandparents with one of your parents. Then after a couple of days, put yourself in one of the cabins and your boyfriend in the other. That way, one person stays the same and you can do a room swap once onboard.

12 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Each room usually has a separate booking number. What I'd recommend doing now is switch one of your grandparents with one of your parents. Then after a couple of days, put yourself in one of the cabins and your boyfriend in the other. That way, one person stays the same and you can do a room swap once onboard.

That what the travel agent is going to try. She said she was going to try changing my grandmother’s name to mine today (Monday) and try changing my grandfather’s to my boyfriend’s tomorrow. She said if that didn’t work then she was going to try what you suggested. Hooray for hoop jumping! ?

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, Mouse80 said:

@ekaiser0328, any luck on your situation? We’re have a similar issue and curious what worked.

It worked in the sense that we were able to go in place of my grandparents. However it was a special circumstance because not only was my grandfather’s health drastically declining (he actually ended up passing away 10 days before the cruise and his 90th bday) but they had also just been hit by Irma with horrendous flooding in their condo so there was some leeway with us being able to transfer it to our names because they had proof they were in a natural disaster area. We also went through my grandparents’ travel agent who figured out all of the logistics. 

9 hours ago, ekaiser0328 said:

It worked in the sense that we were able to go in place of my grandparents. However it was a special circumstance because not only was my grandfather’s health drastically declining (he actually ended up passing away 10 days before the cruise and his 90th bday) but they had also just been hit by Irma with horrendous flooding in their condo so there was some leeway with us being able to transfer it to our names because they had proof they were in a natural disaster area. We also went through my grandparents’ travel agent who figured out all of the logistics. 

I'm glad it worked out ok, so sorry for your loss though....... I hope your grandmother is doing well.

Thank you, everyone, for the condolences. The Monday of that cruise was actually his 90th and that Friday I got engaged with my grandfather's blessing in the form of a "Love" painted rock found in the port area of Jamaica that someone from Flagler Beach (his home) painted. So it was a bittersweet experience.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:50 AM, Mouse80 said:

Thank you for the update, I’m very sorry for your loss.

Would you mind sharing your travel agents information? My email [email protected] 

I actually don't know who the travel agent was as it was my grandfather's and my mom was the one who was in contact with her. Sorry.

Love Rock.jpg