Do I really need tickets?

Steve L

Was reading Matt's write up about Columbus the Musical and it sounds fantastic. My question is do you really need to go get tickets for the show on day 1 and if so where do I find them? Will I not get in if not? I have seen Saturday Night Fever on Liberty of the Seas a few times and we just walk into the theater an 1/2 hour early and get a good seat. No tickets needed. I have a feeling these big ships with more cruisers on board may have a different set of rules.

Best thing to do is reserve tickets via the Cruise Planner ahead of your departure date; just pick the specific day and show time you want. If you find they're not available at all on the Cruise Planner (earliest availability is 90 days out, IIRC), you can check when you board but that could be a sign all the shows are "sold out". if that happens, you can always get on the standby line about 45 minutes before show time and see if any held seats open up.

It's a nuance of extra large ships.  The venues can't possibly hold everyone so they use reservations to manage it.  Shows are typically offered on more than one night.  This applies to all Oasis class and Quantum class.  The rest of the fleet works the old way you experienced on Liberty.  Reservations are general admission, with a few areas reserved for certain suite guests.  

On 9/22/2017 at 8:05 AM, Steve L said:

Was reading Matt's write up about Columbus the Musical and it sounds fantastic. My question is do you really need to go get tickets for the show on day 1 and if so where do I find them? Will I not get in if not? I have seen Saturday Night Fever on Liberty of the Seas a few times and we just walk into the theater an 1/2 hour early and get a good seat. No tickets needed. I have a feeling these big ships with more cruisers on board may have a different set of rules.

You can reserve a ticket before your cruise via the Cruise Planner. This gets you in the theater before others.

As to how necessary the tickets are, it boils down to how important to you seat selection is.  Do you have to sit front row center? Or is 8th row on the right fine?