Canadian Fare?

FManke

To all my Canadian RCblog friends and any others that have visited Canada, what are have must have food items to try while in Canada? 

We are very open, so there really isn't anything that is off the menu?

We love to try and eat what the locals eat whenever we travel.

Thanks

haha.....

As far as I know its a East coast thing here in Canada or at least started out here...it's heavily spiced ground beef shaped into a large loaf and roasted on a spit, then shaved and seared on a flat top grill...then you place it on a pita and top it with onions, tomatoes, cheese and the donair sauce(its a sweet dipping type sauce).......the pizza variation is really good as well.

Defn worth a try....

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/the-delicious-history-of-the-halifax-donair/

Beaver tails are good as well...If your stopping in Halifax, all of these items will be walking distance from the port!

14 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

As far as I know its a East coast thing here in Canada or at least started out here...it's heavily spiced ground beef shaped into a large loaf and roasted on a spit, then shaved and seared on a flat top grill...then you place it on a pita and top it with onions, tomatoes, cheese and the donair sauce(its a sweet dipping type sauce

In the states it is a Gyros, Greek lamb on pita bread.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

As far as I know its a East coast thing here in Canada or at least started out here...it's heavily spiced ground beef shaped into a large loaf and roasted on a spit, then shaved and seared on a flat top grill...then you place it on a pita and top it with onions, tomatoes, cheese and the donair sauce(its a sweet dipping type sauce).......the pizza variation is really good as well.

That sounds like a variation on a classic Greek gyro. In case you haven't had one, the main differences are that in a gyro the meat is a mix of beef and lamb, you don't add the step of searing the meat on the flat top grill after shaving it off the spit, sub shredded lettuce for cheese, and it has a tangy yogurt-based sauce called tzatziki.

Definitely sounds good, will have to remember to try one when I finally do a trip up to Canada with my family (either by cruise or land vacation; want to visit the Canada side of Niagara Falls in the next couple of years).

I have had a Gyro as well....with the tzatziki sauce...so its kinda a varation of that....

Now I am hungry and want one!...

not sure when FManke is headed this way on the cruise..but another beautiful weekend up this way...temps between 85-90 again....but this warm weather may slow down the fall foliage which I know a lot of people like to see and enjoy when planning to come this way during the fall season

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I have had a Gyro as well....with the tzatziki sauce...so its kinda a varation of that....

Now I am hungry and want one!...

not sure when FManke is headed this way on the cruise..but another beautiful weekend up this way...temps between 85-90 again....but this warm weather may slow down the fall foliage which I know a lot of people like to see and enjoy when planning to come this way during the fall season

Leaving Boston Oct 1. Headed to Halifax and St John.

I've had poutine here in the states and love it! I have read about Donair. Seems to me that the sauce is really what makes it. 

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Defn the sauce is what makes it..agreed!

Hope the weather stays nice like it has been the past few weeks for you. Halifax is a great city with lots to explore. Saint John(about an hr from my home) tends to be a lot cooler and often foggy...but here's to hoping!

A foggy day on vacation is better than a sunny day at home, yes? ?

On 9/19/2017 at 10:28 AM, rjac said:

Canadian bacon?

OH GOD NO!!!!!!

UNLESS you mean REAL Canadian Bacon.   The stuff that gets sold as "Canadian Bacon" is to be honest almost never eaten here. 

Canadians eat plain old Side Bacon normally, but we also eat PEAMEAL Bacon.  THAT is the "REAL"  Canadian Bacon.  Thick sliced and delicious. 

Depending where you are going, there are lots of choices.

Toronto (Hogtown) has some great Peameal Bacon, my favourite being at the St Lawrence Market (Carousel Bakery)

Northern Ontario has lots of fish and game, It can be tough to find the right place, but if you ask the locals, there are lots of great things.

Poutine is pretty common everywhere.

Donair is mainly an East Coast thing, there are other places that sell them, but apparently the best is out east.

I am sure other Canucks will continue to chime in, Where and where are you heading to?

5 minutes ago, rjac said:

Uhhh, yes, of course...that's exactly what I meant.:36_flushed:

Lol, yeah, Canadian Bacon is something that befuddles Canadians... We almost only see it if a chain from the USA makes a burger that features it, then they try it in Canada!   tongue firmly in cheek, but Peameal Bacon is where it's AT!

:1_grinning:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 1:52 PM, JLMoran said:

Definitely sounds good, will have to remember to try one when I finally do a trip up to Canada with my family (either by cruise or land vacation; want to visit the Canada side of Niagara Falls in the next couple of years).

We took the kids on a road trip to Niagara two years ago; it's about a 5.5 hour drive from my place. Lots of fun and definitely worth the trip, the falls were really cool.  About the only thing I'd say to skip is the dinner at the top of the sky needle (can't recall the name of the building), the meal was something out of a time warp.  The view was great though.

Oh yeah, the speed limit for the Canadian port of the trip was 62 mph.  Definitely seemed SLOOOOOWWWW after driving 80ish in Michigan.  There were big signs saying that if you were caught driving XX many kilometers per hour over the speed limit, they immediately impound your car.  It was enough to keep me law abiding.