Cigars, weather and general inquiry

TheNorwegian

Hi all! Brand new to the forum, and a junior cruiser. (Will reach Platinum (30 days) this coming cruise)

On the 29th of October, I'll embark my 3rd ever cruise. Two of them with the Allure, and this time, with the Independence.

This will be a 15 night transatlantic cruise (my 2nd) departing from Southampton, England, arriving in Fort Lauderdale.

I have a couple of questions that my travel agent could not answer for me, so I hope that some of you can help!

1. The Connoisseur Club: is it still operational? Can I trust that they sell cigars, or should I bring my own?

2. Hurricanes Irma and now Maria: It's truly tragic and devastating to see the destruction that the Irma did. I got to know a lot of really good people when I went to St. Thomas, St. Martin and the Bahamas. This time, the original plan was to go to St. Martin-St.Kitts-Puerto Rico-St.Thomas-Labadee. Which of these ports do you think will be out of the question? And which ports do you think will be the replacements? It sounds and feels terrible that I worry about trivial things such as these when the people on the islands are so affected by this.

3. The shows: On the Allure, I got to see the Mamma Mia musical. It was fantastic. I have seen that Grease is the show on the Independence, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of rotating show, or will it always be Grease? 

4. When do you thing that the weather will transition from grey English weather to lovely mid-atlantic summer? Day 2? Day 5? Last time, we went from Barcelona, and had very nice temperatures all the way.

St. Martin is definitely out of the question.  I would bring my own cigars as who knows how fresh the cigars are on board.  Nothing worse than buying a bad cigar. Especially on a transatlantic cruise no less.  As far as the weather that will depend on mother nature.  The way these hurricanes are forming up over and over who knows what the weather will be like.  Just keep checking the forecasts.  And in all honesty a good travel agent will get answers to almost any kind of question.  Ours is really terrific.  

4 hours ago, TheNorwegian said:

3. The shows: On the Allure, I got to see the Mamma Mia musical. It was fantastic. I have seen that Grease is the show on the Independence, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of rotating show, or will it always be Grease?

Welcome aboard Mr. Norwegian! It's my understanding from previous posts that the shows on the larger ships do not change until they go in for a major renovation. It  has to do with the over all stage production, sets and costumes. On the Allure, did you get too see the Ocean Aria and Blue Planet? If not, hope you can see them. :27_sunglasses:

5 hours ago, TheNorwegian said:

Hi all! Brand new to the forum, and a junior cruiser. (Will reach Platinum (30 days) this coming cruise)

On the 29th of October, I'll embark my 3rd ever cruise. Two of them with the Allure, and this time, with the Independence.

This will be a 15 night transatlantic cruise (my 2nd) departing from Southampton, England, arriving in Fort Lauderdale.

I have a couple of questions that my travel agent could not answer for me, so I hope that some of you can help!

1. ...Can I trust that they sell cigars, or should I bring my own?

I've never sailed this ship, so take this accordingly, but more often than not I find cigars on board ships over priced and of varying quality.  This on all lines, all ships that I've sailed.  It's easy enough to bring some in a portable watertight humidor with humidity packs.  This past June I came across some cigar smoking new friends on a Celebrity ship and absent of bringing my own I ended in the gift shop to buy some.  A glorious Alaskan sunset shared with new friends and a terrible cigar falling apart on my lips.  Should have brought my own.    

On 9/17/2017 at 6:11 PM, TheNorwegian said:

On the Allure, I got to see the Mamma Mia musical. It was fantastic. I have seen that Grease is the show on the Independence, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of rotating show, or will it always be Grease? 

The shows rarely change.  Unless otherwise noted, expect Grease on Indy.

My wife, my parents and myself will be travelling on the Independence of the Seas 29th Oct for a 15 night transatlantic cruise and our first cruise with RC, we are looking forward to it. Being Brits we will be flying back to the UK later in the day after we get into Port in the US, can anyone advise us about a transfer to Miami airport. 

Thanks in advance