Places to stay in tampa

Aguest

Embassy suites and Marriott waterside are both just a few blocks down from the port, though Waterside tends to be a little more $$$.  There's also the Hilton and Sheraton, both just a little bit further out.  I stayed at the Sheraton for a cruise a few months ago, and it was like a 3 minute, 3 turn drive over.  Close enough I walked from the hotel to the arena next to the port the night before, and only took me 10-15 minutes.

If close to the port is your issue, then above as they posted. However, I have found in all my cruises that staying further away from the port gives you a lot more options and is cheaper even if/when you add in the cost of the cab and some hotels will even offer shuttle service for free or for a low cost.

I have stayed a few times in Tampa and did not stay close to the port, but picked locations close to nightlife, restaurants, bars and beaches as I usually stay  a night or two before my cruise. If your looking for something like that I can give some advice.

I guess it all comes down to what you consider to be cost efficient as that is what you are asking about. Port/downtown hotels are usually double the cost of where I stay.

Hampton Inn Ybor CIty, hands down.  Great location next to the Ybor City neighborhood with good bars, food, and night life.  Free breakfast (that's quite decent) and shuttle to the port on embarkation morning.  Also free shuttle anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel until 9pm - great to get you downtown if you'd rather go there.  Tony and Martel are the shuttle drivers, and absolutely great guys! 

Whatever you do, avoid Westin Tampa Harbor Island like the plague.  I'm an easy going guy, but it's the only hotel I've been at where I've demanded my money back.  What a rat hole!

If you really want to be cost efficient look at the Tampa/Brandon locations for all the major chains. Not in the middle of town, but only 15 minutes to the cruise port and many offer a shuttle. All the normal restaurant chains in that area too for food/drinks, as not all us locals love Ybor.