Alternate to St. Thomas

ABFrenchie

I am sailing on the Harmony 11/18-11/25.  St. Thomas is currently on the itinerary for our third full day (Sea Day, Sea Day, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee, Sea Day).   I've read that St. Thomas was devastated by Irma.  If the port is not open as scheduled, any ideas on how RC might change our itinerary?  No complaints here - just curiosity.  I don't mind a different port or another sea day.  Are there any other ports in that area that are currently operational or expected to be operational in two months?  Thanks!

No Matt not Freeport Bahamas, please send me somewhere else. I had my September Eastern cancelled. My November Eastern is going to Key West, St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau. Guess I won't be seeing any of those ports. In February 2018 another Eastern, same ports. I don't want to go to Freeport. UGH, you ruined my day.

Candie

I was just not a fan of st. Kitts... maybe we need better advice on it but the port area (as ports often are)  was kinda cruddy and we couldn't find a good excursion we felt was worth the money.   I almost booked a trip to Cuba next summer because I feel in love with all the empress periscopes and I have been wanting to get to key West.  I'm glad now that I didn't book it, but worry about the local economies since the cruise ships had to change their itinetary.  I have not ever been to the bahamas...is Freeport that bad?  Jane

21 hours ago, rjac said:

St. Kitts is a really pretty island. Unfortunately, there are very, very few beaches most of which are rocky. Kind of hoping St. Croix gets in the itinerary also.. :27_sunglasses:

Totally agree on St. Croix.  What a wonderful place.  I would retire there if the wife would agree to it.

It seems like some are reporting Adventure OTS will call on St Croix more, Oasis class to St Kitts.  They won't tender an Oasis class (my opinion).  Not sure if port specs would allow Oasis class in St Croix.  

I've worked in the USVI.  I was based on St Thomas but we had a company plane that took us back and forth so I've spent time on St Croix.  It's very different, not as busy, not as built up.  Point Udal is the eastern more point of the United States.  I'd like to see more calls on St Croix but folks need to research it and understand it.  It's not a copy of St Thomas and that's a good thing.  Lot's to do if you research, but different than other islands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2017 at 3:29 PM, firegal2539 said:

No Matt not Freeport Bahamas, please send me somewhere else. I had my September Eastern cancelled. My November Eastern is going to Key West, St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau. Guess I won't be seeing any of those ports. In February 2018 another Eastern, same ports. I don't want to go to Freeport. UGH, you ruined my day.

Candie

Key West's port just re-opened, so good news for you!

On 9/15/2017 at 10:36 AM, ABFrenchie said:

I am sailing on the Harmony 11/18-11/25.  St. Thomas is currently on the itinerary for our third full day (Sea Day, Sea Day, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee, Sea Day).   I've read that St. Thomas was devastated by Irma.  If the port is not open as scheduled, any ideas on how RC might change our itinerary?  No complaints here - just curiosity.  I don't mind a different port or another sea day.  Are there any other ports in that area that are currently operational or expected to be operational in two months?  Thanks!

I’m on that sailing as well. Guessing San Juan will be a “no go” as well...

I've seen rumors that St. Maarten is scheduled to reopen on November 11th!

Our 10/15 Allure sailing was rerouted from St. Thomas and St. Maarten... and then to San Juan and St. Maarten (this one due to propulsion issue with Allure)... and then to San Juan and Labadee (due to Irma)... and now to Cozumel and Costa Maya (due to Maria). So, really there's not telling. I'm glad that they're waiting a little bit to announce these port changes to give the islands as much chance to recover and get the tourism running on the island again, but it's hard to say at this point. 

9 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

I'm surprised they're not going to Labadee instead.

Before Maria hit, Allure was originally scheduled as San Juan and Labadee (after a couple itinerary changes) ... I'm kind of surprised we didn't keep Labadee as well and head to Cozumel and Labadee. Excited to check out Costa Maya now, though. Krazy Lobster, here we come!