Opinions on Transatlantic Cruises

The weather can vary.  We took the Harmony across the Atlantic in October/November.  It was low 70s in the first half of the cruise (other than 1 rainy day) and it was upper 70s the second half and low 80s as we approached Florida.  We had unbelievably nice weather.  But it can't always be expected.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Also, keep in mind that some TA cruises are only offered at very specific times of the year. Prime example being the once-yearly TA that goes to Norway and Iceland, with varying other stops depending on the year, that only happens in August.

Concur with JL, some are nothing more than a re-positioning cruise so are only offered between the end one season in one place and the beginning of another season in another place. Really pay close attention to the dates.

Same goes for Trans-Pacific, this one I have researched in depth because I almost really messed up. Example, Explorer cruises the South Pacific and Australia certain months of the year then does a trans-pacific to Hawaii, cruises Hawaii then cruises to Vancouver for the Alaska cruise season and then reverses this back to the south Pacific.  

Very true, these are repositioning cruises. In April(usually) RCI's Mediterranean/ Northern Europe ships all sail over(Eastbound) for the summer and then reverse the procedure in the fall(Sept. and Oct., Westbound) usually.

We love these sailings, some have many port stops, some have few. I can see how not everybody would be thrilled with 7 or 8 sea days in a row. I guess you would need to try one. They are usually less expensive per day and the overseas flights with Air2Sea are very reasonable. Next month we fly from New Orleans to London for $313 PP for the Independence T/A. I can't buy domestic flights for that kind of money.

I took a TA on Anthem from South Hampton to Cape Liberty at the end of October. Leaving South Hampton was cold and rainy (as expected). I think the high was maybe in the 50s? Waves and wind were so bad we were confined inside for the first two days, with many things cancelled on board (bumper cars, shows), due to all the movement. Personally, I found it to be quite enjoyable. Something strangely scary, yet peaceful.. out in the middle of the ocean like that. There was still plenty to do though. Definitely warmed up a bit coming into NY despite it being early November and how far north the route took us.

As far as the internet goes, we had a terrible connection in our room. Deck 6 JR Suite, mid ship. I dont know if we were in a dead zone on the ship, or if it signal wasn't the strongest out in the middle of the ocean. I wasn't able to FaceTime or stream video when we were on the middle days, but able to check email and Facebook just fine. This was about 3 years ago though. 

• 5 weeks later...

This will be our 2nd TA (first with RC) and your right if you don't mind being at sea for 6/8 days before reaching a bit of land then you will be fine. Last year we went from Barcelona, Gibraltar, Bermuda and onto New York, the weather got better as we went south and was still nice once we got to New York. The trip was amazing and well worth it, we loved it so much we have booked on the Indy from Southampton at the end of October and are looking forward to a great time away.