Excursions on Jewel of the Seas

marymcpherson

Sailing on the Jan 7 Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan with stops in

• St Croix USVI
  • Phillpsburg St Maarten
  • Roseau Dominica
  • Bridgetown Barbados
  • St. George Grenada

any recommendations on shore excursions? I know St Croix and Phillipsburg are a bit up in the air right now in the aftermath of Irma and Jose, but the other three? 

I have only been to one of these stops recently and it was St. Maarten, and like you say it is up in the air as to what it will be like in January, I have traditionally done a beach getaway and those have always been great, one warning, some of the beaches on the French side are clothing optional.

I have been to Barbados, but it was many, many years ago, so I'm sure everything has changed.

You can always go to the Royal web site, they have some information about the destination that can get you pointed in the correct direction.

For someone going to a new destination for the first time, I always recommend that you take one of the "general overview" types of excursions.  Something that explores the island/location in a general way.  That way, you get a good flavor of what is there without confining yourself to one beach or attraction.  Once you have the overview you will always be able to take a more directed excursion if you go back.

Also for St. Maarten, as long as your ship is there from at least 9 to 5, consider the all day snorkeling adventure from Soualiga Destinations. As with other recommendations, it will really depend on the shape the island is in and also whether the owner (Captain Bob) still has boats available.

I'm booked with him for April next year and praying he'll be up and running by then. I'd hate to have to cancel / get a refund and deprive him of income I'm guessing he'll very much be needing by then.

Did a similar trip with Adventure last year with friends who did their research. We didn't do an excursion - we walked from the ship to the Boatyard (I think the walk was 2 miles each way but I can't be counted on for that...a taxi would work, I'm sure. )and rented some chairs on the beach. We walked a little until we found an area with prices we were okay with.

It was one of my best experiences of the entire trip. It was a low-key day and the water was the warmest and bluest of all the beaches I'd have ever been. Just an idea.