Fitness and Exercise while on board

Definitely have free weights. Can't comment on the other machines but I've seen lots of machines for use, as well as machines for classes.

Usually the gym is open something like 6am to 10pm (depends on the ship).

You may find this article useful: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/07/31/guide-royal-caribbeans-gym-and-exercise-programs

Thanks Matt, the article was helpful.

The comments left by you and Bryce will be useful especially the one about the spa raffle and that if you speak to a member of staff in the gym you should be able to use the showers , saunas and changing rooms in the spa, that's really nice as it's always good be able to shower after training and put on some fresh clothes.

Also note that sometimes, they use words interchangeably like the ShipShape Center (older ships), ShipShape Spa, Fitness Center, etc. But, don't get the hours confused--the Fitness Center usually opens, as Matt said, around 6am, BEFORE the spa. Some ships are a bit earlier than 6am. The hours of operation on Majesty of the Seas, from what I hear, are pretty measley.

Also note that sometimes, they use words interchangeably like the ShipShape Center (older ships), ShipShape Spa, Fitness Center, etc. But, don't get the hours confused--the Fitness Center usually opens, as Matt said, around 6am, BEFORE the spa. Some ships are a bit earlier than 6am. The hours of operation on Majesty of the Seas, from what I hear, are pretty measley.

I just looked up the fitness center on Majesty from the last cruise compass we have on the site: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/majesty-seas/2011-07-11t040000

I see 6am openings once you get past day 1 for the gym. Of course, this is from 2011

I just looked up the fitness center on Majesty from the last cruise compass we have on the site: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/majesty-seas/2011-07-11t040000

I see 6am openings once you get past day 1 for the gym. Of course, this is from 2011

My sister sailed on her late last year/early this year. She said it was 8 or 9am opening and was open until about 8 or 9. I was hugely disappointed to hear that, since RCI (used to) majorly prides itself in it's fitness center amenities--used to push the ShipShape program too!

My sister sailed on her late last year/early this year. She said it was 8 or 9am opening and was open until about 8 or 9. I was hugely disappointed to hear that, since RCI (used to) majorly prides itself in it's fitness center amenities--used to push the ShipShape program too!

That's definitely not the norm of any cruises I've experience in last few years.  Usually first classes of the day are at 6am, never mind what time the gym is open to on your own stuff.

That's definitely not the norm of any cruises I've experience in last few years.  Usually first classes of the day are at 6am, never mind what time the gym is open to on your own stuff.

I'm thinking it's just a Majesty thing. Cutting back staff since she's a smaller ship on a short itinerary. She's not their biggest money maker, since the newer ships are the ones with the for-a-fee amenities. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure why ANY of the gyms EVER close. They don't ALWAYS have a staff person in there, so it can't be a liability thing...?

I'm with you Bryce I don't see why they are not 24hr as most people that will use the gym are going to keep up their normal routine and to shed some of the extra pounds gained on the ship and the majority of them don't need supervision in the gym.

I like the idea of a 24 hour gym.  I think it makes perfect sense to offer gym and Windjammer 24 hours.  I suspect in both cases it's a personnel issues more than any lack of imagination.

• 5 years later...

Most of the gyms have spin bikes but they are only used during spin classes which have a fee.  You'd be in the aerobics room and probably wouldn't be able to see the ocean.  Treadmills and ellipticals tend to be towards the windows.

Welcome to the boards.  I see that you are relatively new.  In the future it might be best to start a new thread specific to your question, rather than replying to a 6 year old thread.  We are happy to respond to a new question!

On 8/24/2019 at 2:52 AM, Richk said:

Does anyone know if Serenade of the Seas have spin bikes in the gym? One of my wife’s bucket list items is spinning looking out at the sea. Our first  cruise is booked on Serenade of the Seas! 

The gym on Serenade is a great gym but I'm afraid that spinning with a view of the sea is not going to happen.

The reason for this is the shape of the gym and the location of the spinning bikes. Serenade's gym is horseshoe-shaped, with an entrance at each end. As you go in there are free weights, benches and weight-training machines. Once you pass those, there are plenty of cardio machines around the edge of the horseshoe shape. Some of them look out towards the sea and others look inwards towards the aerobics floor, which is in the centre of the horseshoe. It is this aerobics floor which is used for classes, including the spinning classes and the bikes are positioned facing a wall/stage area between the two entrances, where the instructor will stand.

All of which means that if your wife wants to work out with a view of the ocean, the best way to do it is to do her own session on one of the many cardio machines (treadmills, cross-trainers, recumbent and upright bikes) around the outer edge of the horseshoe. Also, with this being your first cruise and just so you are aware, use of the gym itself is free but the spinning classes come with a charge.  

I would also like to see the gym open 24 hours. I probably average 5 hours sleep a night and it'd be nice to pop to the gym at 1 or 2am get in a workout, spend a few minutes in the whirlpool and then head to bed. I find that there are a number of days I miss the gym because my day is packed and i never find time in the evening.