Hurricane Season, ugh!

goodsailing

We are set to fly via Southwest to San Juan Friday evening, 9/8. Cruising the Adventure of the Seas - Saturday, 9/9 on a ABC to St Maartin cruise. Checked with Southwest and  flights to Puerto Rico are....

"Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities, our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)

Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge." -SOUTHWEST

We paid for the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program. If we cannot get a flight to San Juan and the Adventure sails on Saturday will we get a credit for a future cruise?

-Larry

One concern is how much damage if any occurs at the airport in San Juan.  Assuming that airport operations are back to near normal, it shouldn't be a problem to get into P.R. since the storm will be well past by Friday.

The other issue is where are you flying from?  If you are connecting from MIA, FLL or another FL city, possible you might encounter delays and cancellations.  Given that, you might want to look at changing a flight to connect from another US city that flies direct into San Juan, e.g. Chicago.

I called Southwest this morning. Because our TA @ MEI suggested we try to change our one stop over flight to San Juan: from Baltimore to Tampa to San Juan. She suggested a non-stop from BWI to SJU. However, the Southwest Agent said all flights to San Juan were locked out do to the path of the hurricane.

16 minutes ago, goodsailing said:

We are set to fly via Southwest to San Juan Friday evening, 9/8. Cruising the Adventure of the Seas - Saturday, 9/9 on a ABC to St Maartin cruise. Checked with Southwest and  flights to Puerto Rico are....

"Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities, our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)

Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge." -SOUTHWEST

We paid for the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program. If we cannot get a flight to San Juan and the Adventure sails on Saturday will we get a credit for a future cruise?

-Larry

I think it will also depend where the Adventure is now to get out of harms way. I saw they cancelled several cruises for Friday already and are giving 100% refund and 25% off next cruise. In addition, where are all the cruise ships that depart MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA etc going if this ends up being a Cat 5 coming in. those ships will get damage for sure. Very hard to predict. I hope for the best for you and your cruise! 

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I think it will also depend where the Adventure is now to get out of harms way. I saw they cancelled several cruises for Friday already and are giving 100% refund and 25% off next cruise. In addition, where are all the cruise ships that depart MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA etc going if this ends up being a Cat 5 coming in. those ships will get damage for sure. Very hard to predict. I hope for the best for you and your cruise! 

If you are on Twitter, James Van Fleet, Royal and Celebrity meteoroligist is updating on sailings at 6PM today too. 

I am disappointed for sure.

As well, I do not want to come off as uncaring to those souls in the path and wraith of the hurricane.

But, ... want I was hoping to understand, if we CANNOT get a flight to San Juan, will the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program give us a future cruise credit if the Adventure sails on Saturday?

Respectfully,

Larry Kline

36 minutes ago, goodsailing said:

I am disappointed for sure.

As well, I do not want to come off as uncaring to those souls in the path and wraith of the hurricane.

But, ... want I was hoping to understand, if we CANNOT get a flight to San Juan, will the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program give us a future cruise credit if the Adventure sails on Saturday?

Respectfully,

Larry Kline

HI Larry, did you call RC?  They probably use another insurance company, I tried looking as I take it out on my sailings, but couldn't seem to get any answers on their website. My gut feeling is yes, but I certainly understand that you need to know. Remember it's not just you not being able to get to San Juan, it's probably the entire ship.  I'll keep looking to see if I can find answers, perhaps Matt knows.  

My wife and I received the message yesterday that Southwest was cancelling our flight to P.R. out of Florida on Wednesday evening.  I had to rebook a flight out of Charlotte N.C. on another airline for Friday morning to get to P.R.  But hopefully we will at least make it there to get on the Adventure of the Seas and start our vacation (fingers crossed).  Good luck to all getting to the ship this week, and prayers for all in the path of this monster of a hurricane called Irma.

This season is shaping up to be a bad one....Harvey and Irma are going to do lots of damage and lots of delays and cancelations to the cruise industry...I cant imagine if Miami/FLL takes a direct hit....the impact will be huge and affect so many cruise lines and ships.

At this point if I had a cruise booked this week or next week, I would be just looking to rescheduling it  for later in the fall....

And Jose is close behind, but it looks like just some of the ABC islands and maybe Puerto Rico may be affected by that one..but after the damage from Irma, it could be still a bad  situation to get hit by another one 3 days later.

57 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

This season is shaping up to be a bad one....Harvey and Irma are going to do lots of damage and lots of delays and cancelations to the cruise industry...I cant imagine if Miami/FLL takes a direct hit....the impact will be huge and affect so many cruise lines and ships.

At this point if I had a cruise booked this week or next week, I would be just looking to rescheduling it  for later in the fall....

And Jose is close behind, but it looks like just some of the ABC islands and maybe Puerto Rico may be affected by that one..but after the damage from Irma, it could be still a bad  situation to get hit by another one 3 days later.

ABC Islands are in the clear.  In fact, that is currently the one safe place in the Caribbean for ships to be.  I saw RCCL changed the Adventure's current itinerary from a Sea day Thursday and St. Maarten on Friday to Bonaire on Thursday and Sea day on Friday.  Other than that, I think the Adventure will be ok.  The storm will be clear of San Juan before Saturday's turnaround.

The cruise lines can work around most storms... unless the home port gets hit.  It happened in Galveston last week, and it's about to happen to Florida on the weekend.  With Galveston there were less than half dozen ships affected.  Between Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral, this is going to affect dozens of sailings on several cruise lines.  It looks like a real mess.  Hopefully no one gets hurt.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

This season is shaping up to be a bad one....

I remember warning my sister-in-law about this last year when she told me she was planning her honeymoon.  We are in a La Nina weather pattern, which reduces wind sheer and stability over the Atlantic where the strongest storms form.  Couple that with especially warm water this year and you end up with a stretch of warm humid air and nothing to disrupt the developing storms.  Everything is set up to foster strong storms like Irma this year.