Labor Day Sale

fonemanbob

Just now, fonemanbob said:

Hark another sale.  And yes no deluxe drink discount either.  And of course  different wording.   L.O.L.      Have a lovely Labor Day everyone.  

So first you ruin my day by teling me the Deluxe isn't on sale.....then say "Have a lovely LaborDay"????

Time for me to speculate that the discounting of the Deluxe Drink Package is a thing of the past, at least on Oasis class ships.  When I initially booked our upcoming cruise on Oasis, the Deluxe Package listed to $46 pppd.  I should have pulled the trigger then, but I didn't :2_grimacing: and waited for a new credit card cycle before buying.  In that time, the price jumped to $55 pppd.  OK, I figured that I could wait and catch a sale closer to the time of departure.  Right now, I believe that this will not be possible and that the jump in price to $55 was the first step in a marketing strategy intended to fix the price of the package.  The next step that occurred was the introduction of the Ultimate Dining Package which listed on Oasis for $168 per week or $24 pd.  So what does a dining package have to do the the drink package?  What followed was the combining of the two for $75 pppd.  As it stands now, the drink package in the combined package will cost $51 pd ($75 - $24), a discount of $4 over buying the Deluxe package separately.  This leaves no room for further discounting of the Deluxe package without compromising the sales of the combined, since reducing the Deluxe back to $46 would make it less expensive to buy the two packages independently rather than the combined.  It ain't going to happen.

Now wait!, you say.  On Harmony, the Deluxe package sells for $49 (correct?  Someone chime in).  But in this case, the Ultimate package is $203 per week ($29 pd).  So the $75 cost pd of the combined represents a $3 pd savings (49 + 29 =78)  over the purchase of individual packages.  What the left hand giveth, the right hand taketh away.  Of course, this leaves open the option of discounting the Ultimate package, but my guess is that for this to occur, the Deluxe package will first increase in price on Harmony.  Welcome to RCI dynamic pricing.  What do you think?

The bottom line for my cruise is that since we cannot see eating at specialty restaurants for 7 days in addition to lunch on seas days, I gave up hopes of seeing the Deluxe Package discounted before our departure, bit the bullet and purchased it for $55 pd.  Still!, it's 20% off!!  Just can't figure though, 20% off of what?

Happy hunting for Labor Day bargains.

4 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Maybe RC will have a black Friday sale and discount the drink package at that time.  One can only hope.  

The problem with waiting for the Black Friday sale, is the "experiment" on Harmony ends on the 18th (before Black Friday) so it is possible that shortly after the18th, RCL will implement the "all in cabin must buy" policy before any Black Friday sale

21 hours ago, jce2 said:

The problem with waiting for the Black Friday sale, is the "experiment" on Harmony ends on the 18th (before Black Friday) so it is possible that shortly after the18th, RCL will implement the "all in cabin must buy" policy before any Black Friday sale

Good point.  We have a 12 night repo in Oct 2018 and with only 5 ports we are planning on the drink package for my husband only.  We are travelling with friends and the husband can really pound those beers so he is sold on the drink package.  The wife and I enjoy a drink or two per day, but that will be about it.  The only way the drink package is affordable is for just the one of us to get it - 12 nights is a big number to multiple by per $55 day.  Not sure what we will do if they make it mandatory for both to have the same package.  Probably not get it, I guess.