Hurricane Irma

Yet another reason why RCL is awesome. Using Enchantment to evacuate employees and their families. Sorry to the passengers that this affected by the cancellation, but this is an example of RCL taking care of everyone using the equipment they have...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/news/companies/royal-caribbean-hurricane-irma/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Wonder if Royal is going to drop St. Marteen from its stops....seems like some other cruise ships already have at least temporarily...

Some of the resorts there closed now till at least the end of the year...wont be much to see or do there if you did have a stop in the next few mths  I guess.

3 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Wonder if Royal is going to drop St. Marteen from its stops....seems like some other cruise ships already have at least temporarily...

Some of the resorts there closed now till at least the end of the year...wont be much to see or do there if you did have a stop in the next few mths  I guess.

Probably not the right time to talk about it with people's lives on the line, but I would much rather go to St. Croix than St. Marteen to begin with.  If the upcoming Independence itineraries switch, I will book one as soon as I can.

2 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Is anyone aware of any reputable charities gathering money or supplies for the islands affected?

I think you can't go wrong with charities such as the Red Cross.

So sad that in the midst of all the devastation that some people would seek to make a profit from someone else's loss.

If you believe in karma and I do, those people will eventually get what's coming to them.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all those people affected. 

31 minutes ago, FManke said:

Also, don't forget that Hurricane Jose is right behind Irma, and we don't have any idea where he is headed.

It could get a whole lot worse for some of those people already affected by Irma.

I have been using this website for many, many years for serious weather updates, maps and discussions: https://www.wunderground.com/. Right now, the five day forecast is showing Jose heading in a north easterly direction. Hopefully it stays that way!:27_sunglasses:

4 minutes ago, rjac said:

I have been using this website for many, many years for serious weather updates, maps and discussions: https://www.wunderground.com/. Right now, the five day forecast is showing Jose heading in a north easterly direction. Hopefully it stays that way!:27_sunglasses:

Yup, they come up with their own forecast based on a number of things - but even if you look at all of the models (many of which tend to disagree with each other by large margins), they all show Jose heading N.  storm_12

8 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

Yup, they come up with their own forecast based on a number of things - but even if you look at all of the models (many of which tend to disagree with each other by large margins), they all show Jose heading N.  storm_12

www.spaghettimodels.com is another great site ......

A Disney board I'm on has been insane.  The DCL one is pretty similar to any other cruise one, wondering about where uncancelled cruises next week will go and such, but the Disney World one has just gone off the deep end.  The main Irma thread is getting something like 100 posts an hour, people talking about 6+ hour hold times to cancel their trip, so many arguments about this and that, last night it started feeling like a chatroom with how quickly people were posting.  I do not envy the mods over there right now.

Luckily I had this board to run to for a more relaxed thoughtful discussions.  Usually :10_wink:

And as always, best of luck to everyone affected in any way.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Maho beach has been on my bucket list for years and I was disappointed when I realized my April 2018 cruise didn't stop there....was thinking of changing dates or ships to make sure it was in the itinerary but now I am not even sure what's left of the airport or the beach there to be honest...

Have a look here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/09/07/irma-devastates-world-famous-st-maarten-airport/?utm_term=.02b8817a5398

In the video at the 9 sec mark, you can see what's left of Maho.  Nothing but rocks; the sand is all washed up onto the airport runway.  The Dutch military said that the airport itself was unreachable as of Sept 7 and that the terminal sustained heavy damage.  We are on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in November but given recent events, not sure what to expect or if we'll stop in St. Maarten.