Hurricane Irma

Should you watch it?  Sure.  Be concerned?  Not in the sense of safety concerns or anything like that.  It's far too early to know where the storm will go that far out, but on it's current trajectory it would be somewhere vaguely close to Puerto Rico in the middle to second part of next week.  Being so far out anything could happen - the storm could fizzle out, it could veer out to sea, etc.  Generally ships just move around storms.  As we saw this past week things can be a bit more tricky when there is significant impact to the port of embarkation - but this type of occurance, of this severity, is very rare.  You can find additional information in the links and graphic below.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/hurricane

http://www.CruiseHabit.com/hurricanes

145426_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

This one is forecasted to be a big and strong one..looks like its heading right for the area you are sailing.

Of course anything can happen by then..but based on projections I would be prepared to have some of your ports changed or delayed etc depending on the path as it gets closer.

I think anyone who is planning to be around the windward isles next week will be watching this storm, given that it is forecast to continually strengthen throughout the 5 day forecast period into a cat4 storm.  Will it affect Allure?  Probably not because if the storm track continues as is, Allure will likely switch to a western itinerary and head to Labadee and Cozumel. 

1 hour ago, monorailmedic said:

Should you watch it?  Sure.  Be concerned?  Not in the sense of safety concerns or anything like that.  

Agreed. It's too early to have certainty where this storm will go, or its intensity. 

This is shaping up to be a nasty one; sustained winds have strengthened almost two-fold in the last 24 hrs.  Looks like the storm was turning to the NW but a building high in the Atlantic may prevent that, and keep it on a westerly or west/southwestly track.  Not good for the Windward isles and wouldn't be surprised to see Eastern itineraries switched for next week sailings.  

What's interesting is the uncertainty with the forecasted track beyond the normal 5-days and the uncertainty in the strength of the Bermuda High above it .... I saw several reports where 5-10 days out, they're just not sure, it could cross over into the Caribbean or ride up the east coast.  Either way, it could be interesting for anyone going out between now and 2 weeks out (The Harmony OTS Group Cruise is the 16th along with my 5-nighter out of Baltimore to Bermuda).  My silver lining thinking is that we could be on the heals of Irma..... it's what comes after Irma that has me wondering, hopefully nothing.

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

.... I saw several reports where 5-10 days out, they're just not sure, it could cross over into the Caribbean or ride up the east coast. 

There are just too many variables to consider an accurate storm track that far out.  Look at the size of the current NHC cone at 5 days and the uncertainty in the current discussion about track.  So where this storm will be in 5 - 10 days is not really something that should be of concern right now.  That might change, however, 5 days from now.

1 hour ago, Michael Vitale said:

I'm certainly no expert, just a worry wart cruiser ?, but I saw a weatherman yesterday who said only about 10% of hurricanes located where this one is will make landfall in the US. I assume it's far enough south that we will be spared. I surely hope so. 

I think the 10% to the US from this position is probably correct.  However, the one thing that causes them to be steered to the US from here is strong high pressure over the Atlantic (often called a Bermuda High).  It is in place in spades right now.  Additionally, while I'm concerned for the US, I'm also concerned for the islands my family and I love so much.  All of the Leewards, Pureto Rico, Hispanola, and Turks and Caicos are in the cross hairs.

We're watching her closely, as we fly from EWR to MCO on the 9th.  While I'm not concerned about the Oasis in the seas at the time, I'm  concerned about our ability to get to Florida if she's still down in that area OR if she's turned up the coast and affecting my ability to leave.

Worse comes to worse, we get in the car Friday after work and start driving down.  Plenty of time to get there by Sunday. 

It's looking like Saturday/Sunday departures in Florida this weekend could be a problem as the hurricane could be there at the same time as the cruise changeover.  Could be another storm coming right behind it too.  September 10th is the annual peak, and it appears to be holding true this year.

34 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Just saw the announcement ..... Majesty & Enchantment .... Sept. 8th Sailings have been canceled.

Personally, I think planning a Caribbean cruise during the hurricane season (August-November, with mid Sept. the peak) is just not a good idea. Yeah, I know that's the only time a lot of folks can get away due to work, family commitments, etc. To me it is just an expensive exercise in what could be massive disappointment. 

I truly wish the best on those folks who are on a cruise now or waiting to find out more on their booked cruise. :27_sunglasses:

42 minutes ago, rjac said:

Personally, I think planning a Caribbean cruise during the hurricane season (August-November, with mid Sept. the peak) is just not a good idea. Yeah, I know that's the only time a lot of folks can get away due to work, family commitments, etc. To me it is just an expensive exercise in what could be massive disappointment. 

I truly wish the best on those folks who are on a cruise now or waiting to find out more on their booked cruise. :27_sunglasses:

I don't disagree with you.  However, two families I know (parents, adult children, grandchildren) plan their cruises (about 1 every other year per group) in the fall because otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to go.  So far, neither has had a bad experience.  While it's true that both families are playing with fire, I think I'd do the same if that was the only way I could get to go to the Caribbean with my family.

Sept is the most risky of all the months I think. I have done Oct and Nov with no issues and its a lot cheaper during those months for sure so I get it.

Anything can happen anytime when it comes to weather...but if I was a betting man...I would bet on travel in Sept to be the highest risk for a hurricane interruption.

Depending on how hard/bad Irma is..I think we could see more damage and delays to the cruise industry from this one then Harvey.

Hey Matt and everyone! I am on Adventure of the Seas right now. We are about to leave Curaçao and go to Aruba tomorrow. The weather is perfect down here and we are far away from Irma. The captain just announced that instead of going to St Kitts on Friday, they are going to cancel that stop and go to Bonaire on Thursday instead and have a Sea day on Friday. We are still expected to be back in San Juan on Saturday, but that could change based on hurricane Irma's damage. They will keep us posted. Just wanted to let everyone know that Royal Caribbean is keeping us informed and out of harms way. Royal has been absolutely amazing all week! 

I was booked on another cruise out of Galveston. The cruise was cancelled and I was moved to this weekend out of Galveston. Now the line is saying they might cancel this one. I don't want to rebook again I just want a refund. I think the cruise is cursed.

For the last six years I have sailed every September, October and November without a problem, not doing good this year.

Candie

Ditto to the previous post.  We have done Sept. cruises knowing all too well  that  the tropics can be a mess in September.  And worse is the fact that  hurricane Jose is right behind Irma.    I don"t want to think how many more cruises will be affected. Let alone all of the passengers wondering about their plans.  As well as where landfalls will happen.  Mother nature can truly be be a beast.    

13 hours ago, Michael Sword said:

Hey Matt and everyone! I am on Adventure of the Seas right now. We are about to leave Curaçao and go to Aruba tomorrow. The weather is perfect down here and we are far away from Irma. The captain just announced that instead of going to St Kitts on Friday, they are going to cancel that stop and go to Bonaire on Thursday instead and have a Sea day on Friday. We are still expected to be back in San Juan on Saturday, but that could change based on hurricane Irma's damage. They will keep us posted. Just wanted to let everyone know that Royal Caribbean is keeping us informed and out of harms way. Royal has been absolutely amazing all week! 

Thanks for the report!

22 hours ago, rjac said:

At least half of my cruises have been during hurricane season as we usually cruise to celebrate our anniversary (October).  I've never had a problem.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks for the report!

Since I started this thread, I'll throw out some comments. Royal has been great keeping us all informed about Irma and the ship's itinerary  We're on the way to Jamica and will then head back to Mexico, Costa Maya as Labadee is not an option. The captain indicated that we will dock in FLL no later then Weds am. Based on the schedule adjustments of other sailings, I'd be surprised if we docked any earlier. We're enjoying wonderful weather despite an awful hurricane raging. Kudos to Royal. Best wishes to all those impacted. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:21 AM, coneyraven said:

What's interesting is the uncertainty with the forecasted track beyond the normal 5-days and the uncertainty in the strength of the Bermuda High above it .... I saw several reports where 5-10 days out, they're just not sure, it could cross over into the Caribbean or ride up the east coast.  Either way, it could be interesting for anyone going out between now and 2 weeks out (The Harmony OTS Group Cruise is the 16th along with my 5-nighter out of Baltimore to Bermuda).  My silver lining thinking is that we could be on the heals of Irma..... it's what comes after Irma that has me wondering, hopefully nothing.

Are you worried about your Bermuda cruise in one week? 

13 hours ago, michelle said:

Are you worried about your Bermuda cruise in one week? 

Nope --- not now ..... It looks as though both Irma and Jose will be things for the history books......

The same thing happened last year with Karl, we were on the heals of it - turned out to be a perfect vacation, I figure it'll be the same this year.