First timer EVER on any cruise - with kids!

Julie.a

My family will be cruising this coming January on the Enchantment of the Seas.  It'll be myself, my husband, and my 9 and 6 year old boys.  I have a MILLION questions.  I'd love advice, tips, etc from anyone who has sailed on this ship with kids before.

1. It appears that the kids club is free.  Is that right?  My kids fall into different age groups, can they stay together?

2. My youngest is still a weak swimmer.  Are there life vests on board or should I bring my own?

3. Are kids allowed to walk along on the boat (no parents)?  I wouldn't do this often, but if they wanted to leave dinner early and go back to the room, is that allowed?

4. Any other miscellaneous tips or kids or adults on this particular ship?  

Thank you!!

1.  Yes, I believe it is free for the age group of your children.  There may be a fee for Late night after 11 or 12 pm I cant remember.

1b. No I think they are fairly strict on keeping the kids in proper age groups. They will most likely have a blast even though in different groups.

2.  Yes they have life vests on the pool deck as well as life guards.  

3. Yes. However it may be difficult to get a hold of them while away.  Have designated meeting spots if you guys get seperated, and cross paths. Leave post it notes in the room.   Some Kids tend to see something they like, (Arcade, free soft serve ice cream, etc... ) and get distracted and lose track of time.  I would recommend getting the Voom internet and you can use your cell phones to communicate.  Even if the kids don't have a phone yet you can bring an old disconnected phone or tablet and use wifi and text via Apps like WhatsAp or Facebook messenger etc..  

3b. Yes.  There is a curfew but I think its 11pm.

4. Have fun.  There are TONS of activities from Rock walls, the jump trampoline on the bow, belly flop contests,  bingo,  shows, comedy, (they usually have a kid friendly comedy show then a late night adult show)

Check out the link on the blog with all the Cruise Compasses and will give you an idea of everything to do.  I think theres even a Podcast about traveling with kids.  

3 hours ago, Julie.a said:

My family will be cruising this coming January on the Enchantment of the Seas.  It'll be myself, my husband, and my 9 and 6 year old boys.  I have a MILLION questions.  I'd love advice, tips, etc from anyone who has sailed on this ship with kids before.

1. It appears that the kids club is free.  Is that right?  My kids fall into different age groups, can they stay together?

2. My youngest is still a weak swimmer.  Are there life vests on board or should I bring my own?

3. Are kids allowed to walk along on the boat (no parents)?  I wouldn't do this often, but if they wanted to leave dinner early and go back to the room, is that allowed?

Thank you!!

1.  It is included from 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. They closed for lunch and dinner breaks. After 10p there's a charge of about $7.50 per hour but broken down into 15 minute periods if you use a partial hour. You only pay for the portion of the hour that you use. On port days, they're open continuously. 

2. Yes by the pool on racks. 

3. Yes. There is a late night curfew, but it wouldn't apply in the situation you've discussed. 

4. Sign up for Adventure Ocean the afternoon that you board and go to the open house. Also have your kids go during the first open session as that's were most of the friendships are made. Also, pack swim suits in your carry on our wear them under your clothes so you can hit the pools on the first day while everyone else is waiting for their luggage to be delivered. 

Our first cruise was on Enchantment before she was stretched  and refurbished and it was a family cruise as well.  The kids enjoyed themselves as did mom and dad .  From that first cruise mom and dad were hooked on cruising.  Looking  back  we thought Enchantment was  a big ship.   L.O.L.    Then seeing other classes  of ships and sailing on them.  It"s quite the experience.  Royal has an excellent kids program.   There is plenty to do for everyone on board.  In other words.. Don"t worry be happy.   Enjoy the cruise.

20 hours ago, Julie.a said:

My kids fall into different age groups, can they stay together?

You can ask, but in most situations the answer will be no.  The exception tends to be on cruises with very few kids.

20 hours ago, Julie.a said:

How old are your kids? My tips may depend on the age