Port Canaveral, Border control????

guittech

Sorry if this should be under Ports, but a general question for cruises with stops in the USA, and for those of us who happen to be non US Citizens.

I have never cruised on a ship that had an American port in the lineup, but in Nov I will be on Anthem, and was wondering what the procedures would be when docking in Port Canaveral.  We are leaving from Cape Liberty, but do we have to go through "border control" to go ashore?  Or are they more lax since we left a US port and will have had no foreign ports before this one?   I realize they will not be as lax as most Caribbean countries, where people didn't even look at my face OR Id lol.

Just wondering.  Trying to determine what we will do in Port Canaveral, and was perhaps thinking of just getting off the ship and walking around... If it will be a long wait to get ashore, it might be a good day to use a spa credit and relax on the pool deck!

I am not sure about that.....

I know my only experience of being on a cruise ship and then docking in a US port for a day (key west) is that we had to clear "customs" before getting off the ship...took awhile and the lines were long...

it was defn NOT the same as getting off at any other port...I would think the same would be true in PC.... but perhaps someone who has done it recently can confirm exactly.

'

Being Canadian, my concern is that it would be more difficult.  As MonctonGuy mentioned.  It's like flying into the US, vs flying home to Canada.  Flying into the US tends to be a little more time and complication, with longer lines.  Flying back to YYZ, There is very little hassle.

If PC is the first stop then there is nothing to worry about. Everyone either cleared customs on their way to the ship, or they are a US citizen. Yes, they are technically in international waters while saying from NJ to Fl but I'm pretty sure CPB has better things to do than worry about cruisers who have been on a ship for 2 days. 

Now a few months ago when they altered the itinerary and PC was on the schedule after foreign stops, that is when Customs and Immigration hell break loose. 

On 8/29/2017 at 10:14 PM, jurrjurr said:

It will be just like any Canada/USA border crossing.  Speak only when spoken to.  Answer only the questions that are asked.  There should not be any problems.  

Yeah, :2_grimacing:  As I said earlier, for us Canucks, going to the USA can sometimes be a bit of a hassle!   I remember when crossing the border was just "Hi What are you crossing for today?"  "Lunch!"  "Great, Have an awesome day!"  far more time consuming nowadays :58_disappointed_relieved:

On 8/29/2017 at 9:14 PM, jurrjurr said:

It will be just like any Canada/USA border crossing.  Speak only when spoken to.  Answer only the questions that are asked.  There should not be any problems.  

So, just like when you come home late and your wife meets you at the front door. ?

On 8/28/2017 at 0:34 PM, DocLC said:

You'll be fine. I've done many cruises with multiple U.S. port stops. There only time you are bothered with immigration, whether a U.S. citizen or not is if the ship has visited a foreign port prior to the U.S. port. Since you're going from one U.S. port to another, there won't be any issues. 

Bingo.

This is why *most* Key West calls on Caribbean sailings out of the US are first rather than last.  If they happen before visiting a foreign port all is well.  Sometimes scheduling doesn't allows and then you have to clear local authorities one by one.

If Canaverl is your first stop you should be totally fine.  That in mind, if it wasn't your first stop, it would really be no different whether you're traveling on a Canadian or a US passport (the only potential different being that some terminals at some ports sometimes have different lines for non-US citizens, but I don't see this as much as I used to).

13 hours ago, guittech said:

Yeah, :2_grimacing:  As I said earlier, for us Canucks, going to the USA can sometimes be a bit of a hassle!   I remember when crossing the border was just "Hi What are you crossing for today?"  "Lunch!"  "Great, Have an awesome day!"  far more time consuming nowadays :58_disappointed_relieved:

I've heard this.  Funny enough we were in Vancouver (finished an AK sailing there and spent a few days) and a friend of ours from Seatle drove in to hang out.  He has US, IT, and AR passports.  He had also been a permanent resident of Canada (though I think that expired).  He was questioned at the border for 3 hours going into Canada, and since they had his phone, we had no idea where he went.  Was weird.  Coming back in he went straight through.  Luck of the draw.

12 hours ago, DocLC said:

The last time I crossed into Canada, they seemed more interested in ensuring that I was going to leave than with anything else. 

8 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

I've heard this.  Funny enough we were in Vancouver (finished an AK sailing there and spent a few days) and a friend of ours from Seatle drove in to hang out.  He has US, IT, and AR passports.  He had also been a permanent resident of Canada (though I think that expired).  He was questioned at the border for 3 hours going into Canada, and since they had his phone, we had no idea where he went.  Was weird.  Coming back in he went straight through.  Luck of the draw.

Things are defn changing....its no longer just a formality or a breeze to get through..even for Canadians coming back.....that being said I really haven't had many issues myself with the US customs and I head across 5-10 times a year between land and air.

T.S.A. pre check is the best $85 you can spend.  It lasts 5 years and if you travel a lot  it is truly worth every penny.  You by pass all the long lines and don"t need to remove shoes belt etc.  You can carry your laptop as well.   I personally have 3 joint replacements  and light up the metal detectors.  Now I breeze thru.  It speeds up customs times  as well.  

18 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

T.S.A. pre check is the best $85 you can spend.  It lasts 5 years and if you travel a lot  it is truly worth every penny.  You by pass all the long lines and don"t need to remove shoes belt etc.  You can carry your laptop as well.   I personally have 3 joint replacements  and light up the metal detectors.  Now I breeze thru.  It speeds up customs times  as well.  

I just got TSA Pre-Check for similar reasons -- one leg nearly an inch shorter than the other after multiple joint fusions, and walking without my modified sneakers or even standing without them is beyond difficult and pretty painful. Can't wait to take advantage of it next March!

I've had Global Entry for a couple of years and it was definitely a huge help when coming in from overseas.  GE includes precheck so it's a nice service.  I travel internationally for work quite a bit so work pays for the GE, which is very nice.  On my last trip I signed up for CLEAR which is supposed to be even faster than precheck.  I've used it once and we will use it again when we fly to MIA for the Group Cruise.  CLEAR uses biometrics which is both a blessing and a curse.  Guess I'll have to give it some time to see if it's worth the money.  I am paying for CLEAR myself.

14 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Things are defn changing....its no longer just a formality or a breeze to get through..even for Canadians coming back.....that being said I really haven't had many issues myself with the US customs and I head across 5-10 times a year between land and air.

Looking forward to our first trip to Canada. Visiting Halifax and St John this Oct. Hope all goes smooth with Canadian Customs, as long as I don't try to sneak some poutine out of the country! :10_wink:

All this talk of going through customs quickly isn't for me.  I like to complain about certain things, security in airports is one (though I do understand why it's so tight), so I don't mind standing in line forever, or being questioned for hours, it gives me something to complain about ?

6 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

All this talk of going through customs quickly isn't for me.  I like to complain about certain things, security in airports is one (though I do understand why it's so tight), so I don't mind standing in line forever, or being questioned for hours, it gives me something to complain about ?

Amen, Last time I went to Canada for work not pleasure, took me 2 hours to clear customs in Calgary...