A few questions from a new RC cruiser

chelley599

Good afternoon,

I recently booked and paid off my first RC cruise for February 15 out of Galveston on the Navigator of the Seas.  I have a few questions.  My only experience cruising is through Disney so this is all new.  

1.  What time does the port open?  If I want to get there early, what time should I arrive?  We will be parking at the port. Also, we booked through AAA so they have VIP check-in (whatever that means)

2.  How soon can I book specialty restaurants?  I want to make reservations but it will not let me do it online and wasn't sure if there was a time frame like 120 days before or 90 days.

3. Thoughts on the tethering process at Grand Canyman?  I heard it is very slow and my husband is worried about wasting time and not having enough time to explore.

4. Recommend excursions for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth Jamaica.  We are not getting off the ship in all three so what two do you suggest?  We were thinking Playa Mia or Mr. Sanchos for Cozumel booked on our own.  Not sure about Jamaica or Grand Cayman.  We aren't huge adventurers...more of a relax on the beach and possibly a little snorkeling for the husband.  

Any other advice? TIA

Welcome!

What time does the port open?  If I want to get there early, what time should I arrive?  We will be parking at the port. Also, we booked through AAA so they have VIP check-in (whatever that means)

You should be able to get in by 10am certainly.  That was my plan of action before fog delayed Navigator's arrival when I cruised in February.  Keep in mind that is a very realistic delay you can run into that time of the year.

How soon can I book specialty restaurants?  I want to make reservations but it will not let me do it online and wasn't sure if there was a time frame like 120 days before or 90 days.

As soon as the system will let you.  There is no window that is standard.  Sometimes it's well in advance (months to years) and other times it's less than 45 days.  Best advice is to keep checking the site periodically.

Thoughts on the tethering process at Grand Canyman?  I heard it is very slow and my husband is worried about wasting time and not having enough time to explore.

I've tendered from Grand Cayman a few times.  It's slow but the key is to get out early.  If you wake up at 10am and roll out to the tendering station thereafter you will hit prime time rush.  Try to get out early to beat the crowd.

In Belize, we arrived well before the tenders began and were on the first boat out. That's probably overkill for Grand Cayman as the lines there have never been that bad in my experience.  Early bird gets the worm! 

In terms of time to explore, I'd say you should plan on spending the day on the island.  Going back for lunch and then back to the island would probably take up too much time in commuting.

Recommend excursions for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth Jamaica.  We are not getting off the ship in all three so what two do you suggest?  We were thinking Playa Mia or Mr. Sanchos for Cozumel booked on our own.  Not sure about Jamaica or Grand Cayman.  We aren't huge adventurers...more of a relax on the beach and possibly a little snorkeling for the husband.  

I love exploring Cozumel on foot in the city and doing shopping and EATING but I've also had a good time at beaches like Paradise Beach.  I've heard nothing but good things about Mr. Sanchos

For Falmouth, I recommend the all inclusive Hilton Rose: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2011/09/15/excursion-focus-hilton-rose-hall-resort-spa-day-pass

Grand Cayman, get to shore, find a taxi and ask to go to 7 mile beach.  It's the place to be, no question about it.  

I concur with pretty much everything Matt said. If you're more or less interested in getting out and seeing things, Cozumel is the place on that itenerary to get your bang for your buck. I much more preferred Grand Cayman from an aesthetic point of view but man you couldn't beat the 3rd party beach excursion prices in Cozumel :D . As far as the tender process... i thought it somewhat interesting to see how aggravated the crew got at the cruise director. He just kept calling more and more groups while those already in the snaking line had yet to get halfway around to the STAIRS haha. Do yourself a favor and take Matts advice. Go very early the day before so you can try and get a early tender ticket group #. The beauty of Grand Cayman is well worth it imo.

So Cozumel is a tender, same as Coco Cay?

I am headed there in Jan for the first time. I like to get off and explore myself. I have always done this in Nassau for example, and always found lots of places to see, things to do and places to eat/drink on my own. Cozumel is similar?!

Any must see places to eat or drink or check out when I am there for the day?