DRINK PACKAGES QUESTION - New to forums

GarnetFan8

This may seem like a question with an obvious answer, but what controls are there around someone who purchases a drink package sharing the drinks with someone else who has not purchased one?  I thought I saw in the past that each person in the room had to have the package but that's not the case now, correct?

Welcome to the forums!

You are correct that not everyone in the stateroom has to have the drink package anymore.  It was the original rule but Royal Caribbean changed the rule so now one adult can get an unlimited alcohol package and any other adults can abstain from purchasing one.

As for sharing drinks, it's against the rules.  If you're caught, you could potentially lose your package privileges and of course there's the moral conundrum of essentially stealing drinks. 

Matt, thanks for clarifying that not everyone in the room has to have the drink package.  That makes it a little easier for me to justify buying a package for myself and not worrying about getting one for my wife who it wouldn't be all that beneficial for.  I just think that unless there's some control around how many drinks can be bought per day/trip, that some people probably buy a drink at one location for themselves and then at another location for someone not on the package.  At least on Carnival, you could pre-purchase alcohol and it would be in your room at check-in with no worries.  Seems like this package deal is probably abused more often than not.

There's no direct way to enforce it, but they do scan your card every time you get a drink even with the package. Therefore, they would know if you received a drink at one bar and then went to another. The bigger concern would be that "sharing" could drive up the price for others and/or result in a change in policy back to the original where all adults in the cabin had to buy the package.

It's a great deal now that both people in the room dont need the package.

There are a few things they have in place to keep track of what your doing/drinking besides having the bartender/servers' watching you. Your photo comes up when they swipe your card of course. They keep track of every drink you purchase, you can only get a drink every 15 minutes....so its not really that easy to be buying or getting drinks for other.

Have I done it once or twice?...sure, but if you planned on trying to do this for a friend for a whole cruise, I am pretty sure you would be caught and out of your $.

As far as I know there are no hard safeguards but have had it mentioned several times that they "review activity for anything suspicious".

I was originally told that there was a 15 minute between drinks requirement (Allure) but that does not seem to be the case based on anecdotal reports from others and my experience on board Vision.

I think its a case of "blatant abuse" would probably be obvious/picked up on and dealt with but an occasional drink here or there is not worth the hassle of proving it.

• 1 month later...

I am going on my first cruise and have some conflicting information about beverages.  What beverages are included in my cruise fare?  My TA said coffee, tea, juice, milk and soda in a glass are included at no additional charge.  Now I see that I need a beverage card for these things?  Even water? 

You will need to pay for sodas either by the class or through a package. RCI hasn't included soda since the mid 1990s and even then it was only in the main dining room. Everything else your TA said is correct.

Juice is also available in the mornings although it will not be the fresh squeezed variety.

I am going on my first cruise and have some conflicting information about beverages.  What beverages are included in my cruise fare?  My TA said coffee, tea, juice, milk and soda in a glass are included at no additional charge.  Now I see that I need a beverage card for these things?  Even water? 

Water, milk, tea, juice (in morning breakfast) and lemonaid are included and complimentary.

Soda can be purchased a la carte or through one of the beverage packages.