Favourite restaurant while you are ashore

One of our favourites is the Hard Rock in St Thomas. It's quite hidden away but when you find it's great. The food was good and fast and the best part is at the back of the restaurant there is a balcony with a few tables , THE VIEWS OVER ST THOMAS HARBOUR ARE STUNNING. It's been a while since we have been there so I hope it's still there.

On our next Cruise which is in October 2013 on the Independence of the seas we are going to the Canaries and one of the places we visit is Funchal Madeira. We have been told that one of the best places to try Is Reids. Has anyone tried it and any advice on what to try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eating ashore makes me nervous. I've heard stories and even read things in the Cruise Compass about "don't order drinks with ice or eat uncooked seafood" etc because of the different cooking / water treatment / cleaning standards some of these islands have. 

I wouldn't worry too much about that sort of thing.  I've eaten ashore in plenty of countries and loved it all.   One time we had a snow cone in Mexico and later realized that we had Mexican water.  No  side effects

Speaking of fast food places, I think there is a McDonald's or Burger King in St. Thomas that I always walk by when I'm there. It is so interesting to see what different menu options they have. When I was in Ocho Rios, Jamaica they had EVERY fast food place there. I asked my tour guide how many fast food places, she said they have a lot like 10. I couldn't believe it. It was weird!

I enjoy Starbucks while onboard. It isn't my brand of choice, which is a Michigan company called Biggby Coffee, but it is better then what is offered for free. Not that I think the free coffee is awful, but Starbucks is better. I'm not completely against all commercial branding. The restaurants onboard are fine, but like including Starbucks in the coffee selection, it would be nice if they offered other recognizable brands like say, a selection of The Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes for dessert. Whether it be on the menu or a separate The Cheesecake Factory store location onboard. They are slowly starting to do this with other brands like Ben & Jerry's, Coach, Guess, etc.

Grouping together "destination brands" on a ship makes sense as the ship is as much a destination as the brands are onboard.

The Cheesecake Factory operates 165 branded restaurants in the US, 4 in the Middle East and 1 in Puerto Rico. Each restaurant grosses around 10 million per year. Total revenue last year was around 1.7 billion. Not bad for a company started by a woman making cheesecakes in her basement in 1972. This brand is recognizable by many cultures and is very popular. The first restaurant in Michigan opened in August 2013. Currently the Michigan location is not accepting new reservations for 3 months.

• 5 years later...