Best Ruins near Costa Maya with kids

locoop

My husband and I are taking our 7 year old on a spring break cruise this March on the Navigator of the Seas.  This is my first cruise in 10 years (the other one was on the Enchantment of the Seas back in 2007) and my first time cruising with my son.  I wanted to get some advice on shore excursions for our stop in Costa Maya.  I want to take him to see some ruins and remember Tulum being fantastic the last time I visited.  It doesn't seem like Tulum is offered anymore, and I want to branch off and explore non ship sponsored excursions.  

I've heard good things about Native Choice tours and wanted to see if anyone had any advice that would help me choose between visiting Dzibanche, Chacchoben, and Kohunlich.  Are there other good tour companies?  

9 hours ago, locoop said:

My husband and I are taking our 7 year old on a spring break cruise this March on the Navigator of the Seas.  This is my first cruise in 10 years (the other one was on the Enchantment of the Seas back in 2007) and my first time cruising with my son.  I wanted to get some advice on shore excursions for our stop in Costa Maya.  I want to take him to see some ruins and remember Tulum being fantastic the last time I visited.  It doesn't seem like Tulum is offered anymore, and I want to branch off and explore non ship sponsored excursions.  

I've heard good things about Native Choice tours and wanted to see if anyone had any advice that would help me choose between visiting Dzibanche, Chacchoben, and Kohunlich.  Are there other good tour companies?  

Tulum is still offered, but only out of Cozumel. The ruins accessible from Costa Maya are quite nice, however. 

Native Choice is the way to go.  The tour thru RC costs $94.   The same tour thru Native Choice costs $55.  We are doing the Extreme Chacchoben tour for $80 thru Native choice on our cruise on Rhapsody in February.  That tour includes lunch and beverages and swimming in a lagoon.  A $15 p.p. deposit is all that"s required.  Check out the reviews on Trip Adviser.   If you are stopping in Cozumel we would highly recommend Mr Sancho"s. It is an all inclusive  beach club. cost is $55 per adult.  Beach,food,beverages all inclusive.    

4 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Native Choice is the way to go.  The tour thru RC costs $94.   The same tour thru Native Choice costs $55.  We are doing the Extreme Chacchoben tour for $80 thru Native choice on our cruise on Rhapsody in February.  That tour includes lunch and beverages and swimming in a lagoon.  A $15 p.p. deposit is all that"s required.  Check out the reviews on Trip Adviser.   If you are stopping in Cozumel we would highly recommend Mr Sancho"s. It is an all inclusive  beach club. cost is $55 per adult.  Beach,food,beverages all inclusive.    

Thanks!  I was looking at the exact same excursion, so I was on the right track.  I think we will definitely go with Native Choice.  We are stopping in Cozumel as well and are aiming or a relaxing beach day.  After reading through this board I reserved at Nachi Cocom because it seemed like it would be less crowded, and we'd always have the option of walking down the beach to use the aquatic park at Mr. Sancho's if our son gets bored.  

• 1 month later...

I will have to look up native choice.   We will be in Costa Maya and my husband will be doing chacchoben.  When i went we did the rc tour because we were first timers and panicked about getting back to the ship.   Does native choice run on time and not too tight to get back?   My husband wouldn't do wrk with that!   Jane

On 8/19/2017 at 7:59 PM, locoop said:

Thanks!  I was looking at the exact same excursion, so I was on the right track.  I think we will definitely go with Native Choice.  We are stopping in Cozumel as well and are aiming or a relaxing beach day.  After reading through this board I reserved at Nachi Cocom because it seemed like it would be less crowded, and we'd always have the option of walking down the beach to use the aquatic park at Mr. Sancho's if our son gets bored.  

I have nachi booked for the first time in March as well.  Heard such positives here that I can't wait to try it!  Jane

On 9/28/2017 at 11:16 PM, mom2mybugs said:

I will have to look up native choice.   We will be in Costa Maya and my husband will be doing chacchoben.  When i went we did the rc tour because we were first timers and panicked about getting back to the ship.   Does native choice run on time and not too tight to get back?   My husband wouldn't do wrk with that!   Jane

When I used them I still had a few hours to kick back in town and relax before heading back to the pier.