October 15 Allure of the Seas - Itinerary Change

KLA

On 8/19/2017 at 9:38 AM, Shoshiep said:

Hi all. We are sailing on the Allure Oct 15th route and trying to wrap our heads around the new itinerary change. We booked this cruise specifically because of the St Thomas port and Nassau ports. We will be taking our 4 kids ages 9-16 and one of the main reasons was to visit the Aquaventure water park at Atlantis. Now with the change we will arriving in port at 7am and leaving at 1pm. The water park opens at 9, but is it worth it to spend so much on tickets to only be there a few hours. Has anyone else done the water park in a few hours, what time should we plan on needing to leave the park to get back to the ship in time before it sails. 

A second question, any suggestions on what to see in San Juan with the kids? We loved St Thomas/St Johns and are pretty disappointed to not be seeing those fabulous beaches. 

Thanks

While I have not done Atlantis, from everything I've heard from people who have done that on either with an excursion, I wouldn't do it for the short amount of time.  My co-worker stood in line for 45 min just to get the waterpark pass.  Plus, if the ship is leaving at 1300, you'll probably have to leave by 1130-1200.  That's a lot of $$ for a few hours.     Self guided walking tour around Nassau instead?  A poor substitute for a fun waterpark but the Queen's Staircase and the Fort is kind of cool if you've never seen it.  Sorry for the itinerary change, hope you're able to come up with some alternative activities.  

On 8/19/2017 at 9:38 AM, Shoshiep said:

is it worth it to spend so much on tickets to only be there a few hours.

No.  I agree with @mbk999.  I don't believe that you would have enough time to really get your money's worth out of the water park with that limited time in port.  I have never even priced a ticket to Aquaventure but knowing how expensive everything else is in Nassau and ESPECIALLY at Atlantis, I can only imagine what those tickets must cost.

I'm sure it's a huge disappointment but I think you would be disappointed PLUS resentful if you spent that kind of money on something for which you will, unquestionably, be disappointed.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Wait, doesn't this mean that your back-to-back honeymoon cruise will be a double Western Caribbean tour now?

Yep! Using as an excuse to try something new in Cozumel, head out for lunch in Nassau, and check out a new-to-us port in Costa Maya! :) 

I'm pretty happy just to be on board and at sea, and don't see the point in getting to bummed out about it. 

6 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Yep! Using as an excuse to try something new in Cozumel, head out for lunch in Nassau, and check out a new-to-us port in Costa Maya! :) 

I'm pretty happy just to be on board and at sea, and don't see the point in getting to bummed out about it. 

You're right about not getting bummed out.

It's going to be great!

Just focus on the positives, like you will be spending two weeks alone, relatively speaking, with the person you will grow old with and let all the other stuff fall away!

16 minutes ago, FManke said:

You're right about not getting bummed out.

It's going to be great!

Just focus on the positives, like you will be spending two weeks alone, relatively speaking, with the person you will grow old with and let all the other stuff fall away!

Honestly, in between the stresses of work, planning a wedding, and losing my brother two months ago I'm really just going to be happy to be sitting on our balcony quietly with a beer and reading a book or just talking. I'd be fine if it was 7 sea days... just need to get away at this point. 

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

Honestly, in between the stresses of work, planning a wedding, and losing my brother two months ago I'm really just going to be happy to be sitting on our balcony quietly with a beer and reading a book or just talking. I'd be fine if it was 7 sea days... just need to get away at this point. 

With everything that goes on in everybody's busy lives, sometimes the best thing that can happen is doing nothing.

I told my wife, we spend all year taking care of others. Whether it's our kids, other family members, friends or work responsibilities . This week is ours and ours alone.

We are going to concentrate on us as a couple. Shut out the outside world. And celebrate 27yrs of being married to our best friends.

All the best to you and yours.

5 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Costa Maya is quite nice. If you're into adventure, there's a really nice water park/zip line facility within view of the port. For under $90, you get access to about 6 zip lines and an equal number of slides. My wife, son, and I had fun there and opted to use Cozumel for our beach day since there are so many nice beach resorts there. However, many like the beach resorts in Costa Maya, too, and the Mayan ruins are also worth a visit.

7 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Just being away and not planning a wedding will be awesome!   I love being on a cruise and having some days where it's me,  a book and my frosty adult beverage.... so different from my 55 hour work weeks for sure!   You have a great attitude about all the changes...i hour you have a wonderful time!!  Jane

12 hours ago, tiny260 said:

@KLAconQueso, it looks like I will be joining you on this cruise, last minute decision, just booked today, wanted a suite but they were all sold out, got a superior outside balcony on 11.

What!!! No way! that's awesome! :D I know another couple from the Periscopers group that will be joining as well. 

#HoneymoonCrashersCruise2017

2 hours ago, tiny260 said:

My daughter really is 35,

Kayla, I was not insinuating that you look 35, the sun glasses throw me off...lol

50 minutes ago, DocLC said:

@tiny260 You should have said it was her level of maturity, intellect, and experience that led you to over estimate her age. ;)

HAHA! No worries - honestly most of the people I hang out with are 5+ years older than me so it really doesn't bother me. Looking forward to meeting you guys, @tiny260!!

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

4 hours ago, tiny260 said:

My daughter really is 35,

Kayla, I was not insinuating that you look 35, the sun glasses throw me off...lol

2 hours ago, DocLC said:

@tiny260 You should have said it was her level of maturity, intellect, and experience that led you to over estimate her age. ;)

HAHA! No worries - honestly most of the people I hang out with are 5+ years older than me so it really doesn't bother me. Looking forward to meeting you guys, @tiny260!!

Kayla, did you sign up for the M&M? Honestly I've booked this so late, I haven't even been over there to look at the roll call or anything. My wife and I are like you, we just needed to get away, I work in IT also and here lately they have been killing me...

14 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Kayla, did you sign up for the M&M? Honestly I've booked this so late, I haven't even been over there to look at the roll call or anything. My wife and I are like you, we just needed to get away, I work in IT also and here lately they have been killing me...

Yes! I did sign us up for the M&M. It seems like a good half of the people on our Roll Call are really upset about the itinerary change and the other half of us are just happy to be on board. The headliner for the cruise sounds like it was just confirmed to be an acapella group called Mo5aic. 

HAA! My (will be by the cruise!) husband is in IT (actually doing web dev these days), and I'm a software engineer. Too funny! 

38 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Yes! I did sign us up for the M&M. It seems like a good half of the people on our Roll Call are really upset about the itinerary change and the other half of us are just happy to be on board. The headliner for the cruise sounds like it was just confirmed to be an acapella group called Mo5aic. 

HAA! My (will be by the cruise!) husband is in IT (actually doing web dev these days), and I'm a software engineer. Too funny! 

Honestly, I don't find it odd at all. Folks like us (yeah, I'm a web developer and software architect, too) tend to find places like this. I'd guess it's partly because most of us have gotten used to scouring the web for solutions to our day-to-day problems, partly because a majority of us got into this business in the first place because we're detail oriented, meticulous, inquisitive, and love to learn as much as we can about whatever we're focusing on as our current "project".

4 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Honestly, I don't find it odd at all. Folks like us (yeah, I'm a web developer and software architect, too) tend to find places like this. I'd guess it's partly because most of us have gotten used to scouring the web for solutions to our day-to-day problems, partly because a majority of us got into this business in the first place because we're detail oriented, meticulous, inquisitive, and love to learn as much as we can about whatever we're focusing on as our current "project".

Yes, and that is also why I like cruises, I can completely "unplug" if I want, or I can use Voom and stay as connected as I like. As far as my company knows, I'm on a cruise ship and can't be reached, 24x7x365 on-call wears thin after awhile...

55 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Last year on the Allure the headliner was an acapella band called The Edge Effect. I did not want to go but my husband dragged me in. Turned out to be one of the best headliner shows I have seen so far. Make sure you go check out Mo5aic. I wish they had that on Harmony last month instead of a ventriloquist.

5 minutes ago, ellcee said:
15 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I wish they had that on Harmony last month instead of a ventriloquist.

That's horrifying...

Ventriloquists can be really hit or miss. But I will say, if you ever get a chance to see Jeff Dunham, don't pass it up. I've seen him twice live, first time when he was still getting off the ground and headlining only the smaller comedy clubs. He's always hilarious and has some phenomenal material, not to mention the great collection of dummies he uses. Walter is the best, followed close behind by Peanut.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

But I will say, if you ever get a chance to see Jeff Dunham, don't pass it up. I've seen him twice live, first time when he was still getting off the ground and headlining only the smaller comedy clubs.

oooh, you're right. I actually love him. I just had a weird reaction and thought of all of the horror movies I've had to watch that had ventriloquists that were evil.

6 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND the itinerary changed again. HAHA! 

Not as serious this time - just a sea day in between Cozumel and Costa Maya now and Cozumel a day earlier.

So just from the "trying to think like a cruise line" POV, how could we interpret a change like this? Cozumel had too many ships coming in now on the originally planned day, and Allure had flexibility in the schedule to swap around port day and sea day to relieve some crowding / pressure on the port and its businesses?

26 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

So just from the "trying to think like a cruise line" POV, how could we interpret a change like this? Cozumel had too many ships coming in now on the originally planned day, and Allure had flexibility in the schedule to swap around port day and sea day to relieve some crowding / pressure on the port and its businesses?

I would have lost my mine! That would have forced me to redo my spreadsheet, again! :8_laughing:

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I think that's exactly why - originally we were docked with Harmony, NCL Escape, and two other Carnival ships. I'm glad for the change - I was worried for traffic and crowding. 

16 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

I think that's exactly why - originally we were docked with Harmony, NCL Escape, and two other Carnival ships. I'm glad for the change - I was worried for traffic and crowding. 

I was wondering how many ships have just changed from eastern to western and if it will make the area crazy congested.   I also wondered if prices for private excursions,  restaurants etc will go up there because it's the biggest area with no damage right now.   (And will the prices all jump up in eastern to pay for all the repairs).  Jane