Passport

Madelyn D

Assuming you intend to legally change your name...here's what we did.

Do all the legal stuff to change your name after you travel.

Your marriage certificate won't be considered as identification and it's what is on your legal docs, like your passport, is what counts. Suggest you don't complicate it by trying to use a different name than on your docs and travel documents.

11 minutes ago, Madelyn D said:

Does anyone know if I need a new passport after getting married? Can I use my maiden name passport with Marriage License until it expires?

Thanks in advance.

HI Madelyn, I don't know when you're travelling, but I got my current passport and they amended it on the last page showing my married name. (of course this was awhile ago), I would check as new passports are $110.00 plus $25.00 to the Post Office if you go there. If it's not due to expire enquire about an amendment. 

If its close in time, I would leave it all as is...if you start the process now and not everything gets changed I am guessing there could be issues at some point along the way with your travels.

That's not a legal answer I know.....lol...but from what I have heard and read from others in the same situation it seems like this would be the best course unless you have lots of time to gt everything changed and back before your vacation!

11 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

HI Madelyn, I don't know when you're travelling, but I got my current passport and they amended it on the last page showing my married name. (of course this was awhile ago), I would check as new passports are $110.00 plus $25.00 to the Post Office if you go there. If it's not due to expire enquire about an amendment. 

Thank you! I'm considering just using my maiden name for the cruise since it is the only identification document I use on vacation anyway.  My license says my married name and my passport says my maiden name and does not expire until 2023.

Should you run into this in the future, know that If the name on your passport does not match the name on your reservation you'll need to bring proof of your name change.  Note that unless marriage licenses in your state also have the fields necessary for name changes, you'll need the actual name change documentation - not just your marriage license.  You need to show that the two names are the same person.

Guest toodle68

When is your cruise?

If it is Feb 2018.. then just go ahead and change it now.  Never take chances with passports, legal documents etc.. it just not worth it.