Quantum Ultra Ship To Be Named Spectrum of the Seas! Attention Matt!

Royal Caribbean UK's Twitter has announced that the first Quantum Ultra-Class cruise ship will be named Spectrum of the Seas. Construction has started today at the Meyer Werft shipyard and is due to make its maiden voyage in 2019.

“Today is a very special day in the development of our new Quantum Ultra ship, Spectrum of the Seas. We are now one step closer to delighting our guests in Asia Pacific with this remarkable ship. Spectrum will be another giant leap forward in vessel design and guest experiences that will provide travelers with ample opportunities to create unforgettable memories.”

-Michael Bayley

CruiseToTravel has also posted an article: http://www.cruisetotravel.com/2017/08/16/royal-caribbean-announces-spectrum-of-the-seas/ 

2 hours ago, Henry Ho said:

Royal Caribbean UK's Twitter has announced that the first Quantum Ultra-Class cruise ship will be named Spectrum of the Seas. Construction has started today at the Meyer Werft shipyard and is due to make its maiden voyage in 2019.

“Today is a very special day in the development of our new Quantum Ultra ship, Spectrum of the Seas. We are now one step closer to delighting our guests in Asia Pacific with this remarkable ship. Spectrum will be another giant leap forward in vessel design and guest experiences that will provide travelers with ample opportunities to create unforgettable memories.”

-Michael Bayley

CruiseToTravel has also posted an article: http://www.cruisetotravel.com/2017/08/16/royal-caribbean-announces-spectrum-of-the-seas/ 

@Matt has posted this on a Twitter and I'm sure it will appear on the blog soon (if it's not already there). 

On 16.8.2017 at 5:27 PM, J_Keeble said:

maybe size? although I think they are at max width due to the journey it takes down the river from the shipyard. maybe wider above the waterline and longer? or just a lot of new different features / layout?

I don't think Meyer can go much further regarding the size. Length is an issue because there is a shiplock when leaving the shipyard and the ship has to be turned after leaving the shiplock. Width is also a no-no because of the shiplock and because of some railway bridges that have to be partly removed even with the normal Quantum size. I guess height wouldn't be a problem but draft definetely is. Big ships can only travel down river Ems once it has been dammed and/or with high tide.

These ship transfers usually attract a huge crowd due to the difficulty and will be shown on German television (internet live stream as well). It's really quite a sight so I recommend watching Spectrum leaving the shipyard when the time comes :)