Suggestions for mid 20's First Time Cruisers

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise together for the first time on Oasis of the Sea's for the Total Eclipse Cruise on August 20th. We live in New York so this will be our first trip down to Flordia together. Any suggestions you have for us would be appreciated! We are in our mid 20's and we work very hard so we are trying to get the most out of this vacation! We purchased the drink package, ultimate dining package, and the wine tasting class. We also booked excursions for our three ports of call. I am a planner for a major retailer so needless to say I have planned most of this trip already :) Any other suggestions are welcome! Also, I was interested in potentially taking some of the workout classes on board maybe zumba or spin. Does any one know how much these cost and what the sign up process is? 

What, no evening shows?  The ice show is very good; why not reserve the Comedy Club and Headliner.  More active stuff?  Try the Flowrider and zip line.  What about the Sushi making  class?   No shortage of activities on Oasis class ships.  For shows, better to try reserving before boarding, but you still might be late.  If your preferred times are not available, try to reserve as soon as you board; there are usually seats left open for onboard reservations.  And if that fails, arrive at the venue early and wait in the stand-by line.

One of my biggest tips is to not get too caught up in planning out every detail. I'm also a meticulous planner, and although I cruised with my family as a teen, when my husband and I went on our first cruise together I wanted to plan EVERYTHING. Leave some time to relax, participate in activities spontaneously, and just explore.

3 hours ago, l9dance said:

Also, I was interested in potentially taking some of the workout classes on board maybe zumba or spin. Does any one know how much these cost and what the sign up process is? 

You can sign up once onboard.  There will be sign up sheets near the entrance to the fitness center and it's on a first-come, first served availability basis.  So sign up as early as you can if you really want to do it.

Most classes are in the $20 range per class (+/- $10). 

Here is a copy of the fitness classes on Harmony of the Seas.  Different ship, but since both in same class, should be similar
13388886_1033565583391429_1647776385_o.j

1 hour ago, DDemuth said:

What, no evening shows?  The ice show is very good; why not reserve the Comedy Club and Headliner.  More active stuff?  Try the Flowrider and zip line.  What about the Sushi making  class?   No shortage of activities on Oasis class ships.  For shows, better to try reserving before boarding, but you still might be late.  If your preferred times are not available, try to reserve as soon as you board; there are usually seats left open for onboard reservations.  And if that fails, arrive at the venue early and wait in the stand-by line.

I did book evening shows I just forgot to mention that part :) I wasn't able to get the Comedy Club with the online booking as well as the special performer for the Total Eclipse but we are going on try on board. I am excited to try all of the activities on board! Thank you very much for your suggestions. 

1 hour ago, mamabdw said:

One of my biggest tips is to not get too caught up in planning out every detail. I'm also a meticulous planner, and although I cruised with my family as a teen, when my husband and I went on our first cruise together I wanted to plan EVERYTHING. Leave some time to relax, participate in activities spontaneously, and just explore.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I do tend to try to plan everything in advance so I will do my best to just enjoy and see where the days take us. 

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

You can sign up once onboard.  There will be sign up sheets near the entrance to the fitness center and it's on a first-come, first served availability basis.  So sign up as early as you can if you really want to do it.

Most classes are in the $20 range per class (+/- $10). 

Here is a copy of the fitness classes on Harmony of the Seas.  Different ship, but since both in same class, should be similar
13388886_1033565583391429_1647776385_o.j

Thank you so much this is super helpful! I am excited to try a few classes! One more question, are there some classes that are free? It looks like there aren't $ signs next to all classes such as the Fab Abs class.

6 minutes ago, DocLC said:

For the comedy club, we had good luck arriving 20-30 minutes before the show and just standing in the standby line, so don't miss it just because you don't have a reservation. 

Thank you so much! Good to know not all hope is lost! I was really hoping to be able to attend this show as we both love comedy shows!

18 hours ago, l9dance said:

One more question, are there some classes that are free? It looks like there aren't $ signs next to all classes such as the Fab Abs class.

As you noted, if there's no dollar sign then it's complimentary.  Keep in mind, what's on your sailing may be different than what's on this sheet

See if you can find a scanned version of the compass from a previous cruise.  This can help if your are a planner.  We always enjoy the audience interactive stuff.  Love and Marriage show, pool competitions, and trivia.  I personal would not waste time going to the art auction (over priced computer printed art) and shore shopping show (again over priced tourist traps).

31 minutes ago, function12 said:

See if you can find a scanned version of the compass from a previous cruise.  This can help if your are a planner.  We always enjoy the audience interactive stuff.  Love and Marriage show, pool competitions, and trivia.  I personal would not waste time going to the art auction (over priced computer printed art) and shore shopping show (again over priced tourist traps).

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I wouldn't have known that about the art auction, etc.

4 hours ago, l9dance said:

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I wouldn't have known that about the art auction, etc.

They will tell you is a glycine of the original.  What the hell is a glycine??  They will tell you a lot of stuff.  Well it is a computer printed copy of an original.  Basically a giant dot matrix printer.

If you have ever been to a time share meeting then the art "auction" will bring back fond memories. 

1 minute ago, function12 said:

They will tell you is a glycine of the original.  What the hell is a glycine??  They will tell you a lot of stuff.  Well it is a computer printed copy of an original.  Basically a giant dot matrix printer.

If you have ever been to a time share meeting then the art "auction" will bring back fond memories. 

Ah yes, that sounds about right. Luckily I have never had to sit through a time share meeting but I have heard about the process and will avoid that especially on vacation!