Bring Soda on board

Akizoo

Hey RC Blog members, I am going on the Freedom for an 8 night cruise in March and am definitely looking forward to it. I was wondering about bring a case of pop each for 2 people and the policy from Royal Caribbean.  The website says that alcohol will be confiscated if you bring in more than two bottles of wine or champagne. It does not mention soda pop or water bottles, so can I bring either soda on board?  Thanks for the future advice and answers.  

As already stated, the official policy is no, but I've taken on water and soda on each of my cruises carry on luggage and haven't been stopped once. I go in knowing that it could be refused and I might be out a few bucks, but it hasn't happened yet. 

We've carried it on blatantly without problems. If you go in knowing that it could be taken, then it's worth the risk. If it is something that will ruin your vacation if it is confiscated because you'll be out a few dollars, then don't bother.

For what it's worth, I've carried on 12 and 24 packs in their original cartons in San Juan, St. Thomas, Fort Lauderdale, Stockholm, Harwich, and a number of other ports throughout Europe without incident. I really think they're more concerned about alcohol rather than anything else.

These are the cases of soda (w/luggage tags) delivered with the rest of our luggage to our stateroom on Allure. We are 4 for 4. That being said, I have stopped doing this (as of our las cruise in April). We always get the soda package so the soda we brought on board was so we didn't have to find a bar late after returning to our cabin or 1st thing in the morning. After doing the Math I probably save about $26 for me & $20 for my wife and that doesn't include the cost of an Uber if our hotel isn't close to a grocery store. We finally decided the extra hassle, luggage & weight isn't worth the savings. We now have our state room attendant bring us 6 at a time to keep in the fridge.

20161030_140423.jpg

The last couple of cruises we've put a couple of cartons of soda in a throwaway bag and sent it with our tagged luggage. It was delivered with no problem.  We figured if they confiscated it we would donate it to the crew.  My wife gets the soda package but likes more than just the coke products served on board.  Sending it tagged kept us from having to lug it around until the rooms are ready.  As mentioned we see a lot of people carry on but haven't seen them stopped.  I agree I think they are really concerned about alcohol not soda or water

• 6 months later...

Found this on RCCL site. Soda is not on the prohibited list here. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Soda is listed as not allowed here

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&snav=2&faqId=260

Its confusing. Think I'll printout the first one and take it with, just in case.

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Its confusing. Think I'll printout the first one and take it with, just in case.

Unless you have a list specifically saying soda is allowed you would be wasting your time.  Besides the wording making it very clear that it is not an all-inclusive list, " The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard ", arguing with security personnel is a great way to get a tour of a security office and jeopardize your boarding.  Just bring the soda.  Odds are they will allow it, but if they don't then just leave it and go on your way.  Please don't start your cruise off by making a scene over some cans of pop.

Welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Found this on RCCL site. Soda is not on the prohibited list here. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Soda is listed as not allowed here

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&snav=2&faqId=260

I agree with @NS8VN. Your best bet is to put the soda in your carry on luggage and then employ a "dont ask, dont tell" strategy.