First-timer on Enchantment

lelms

Hi all! My SO and I will be leaving for our first cruise through the Eastern Caribbean in t-minus 30 days, and we're getting pretty excited/nervous! I've been doing tons of research lurking on the message boards and have everything planned out as follows: 

-One night stay in Miami before embarkment

-Deluxe Oceanview room with balcony

-Deluxe drink package for two, plus dinner package to specialty restaurants

-Checking out Atlantis in Nassau (SO loves water parks)

-Beach Bungalow in CocoCay

-Free day in Key West

-Hang out one more night in Miami before our flight home.

Just wanted to open up to last minute advice or general good-to-know tips! Should we buy scuba masks for Coco cay? Anything particular things we should do in Miami? Anything we *must* see/experience?

@lelms Congratulations on your first cruise; I'm sure you're going to love it.

I haven't been to Coco Cay, so I'll leave that one for someone else to answer. At this point, you should make sure that all of your documents are in order to board the ship. This would include your Set Sail Pass, birth certificate with raised seal or passport, and a government issued photo ID if you're using a birth certificate. Also, make sure to keep these on your carry-on bag as you'll need them to check-in for your cruise. It's also important to pack valuables in your carry-on bag as well as a change of clothes as you will not receive your checked bags until later in the afternoon or early evening. At the same time, you don't want to carry too much on as you won't have access to your room until sometime between 1 and 2 p.m. Because of this, many of the pools will be empty, so it can be a good time to squeeze in some pool time if you wear your suit under your clothes and/or have it in your carry-on bag.

You'll probably pack more clothes than you'll actually wear, so keep that in mind when packing. You'll likely wear summer/resort clothes a lot more than anything else, so you'll likely be able to get away wearing dinner clothes a couple of times each as you will only be wearing them for a few hours each night. You'll also need a carry-on bag for the last night as you'll set your bags out to be collected the night before, so you'll need a bag for everything that you need to get ready that night and for the next morning.

2 minutes ago, DocLC said:

@lelms Congratulations on your first cruise; I'm sure you're going to love it.

I haven't been to Coco Cay, so I'll leave that one for someone else to answer. At this point, you should make sure that all of your documents are in order to board the ship. This would include your Set Sail Pass, birth certificate with raised seal or passport, and a government issued photo ID if you're using a birth certificate. Also, make sure to keep these on your carry-on bag as you'll need them to check-in for your cruise. It's also important to pack valuables in your carry-on bag as well as a change of clothes as you will not receive your checked bags until later in the afternoon or early evening. At the same time, you don't want to carry too much on as you won't have access to your room until sometime between 1 and 2 p.m. Because of this, many of the pools will be empty, so it can be a good time to squeeze in some pool time if you wear your suit under your clothes and/or have it in your carry-on bag.

You'll probably pack more clothes than you'll actually wear, so keep that in mind when packing. You'll likely wear summer/resort clothes a lot more than anything else, so you'll likely be able to get away wearing dinner clothes a couple of times each as you will only be wearing them for a few hours each night. You'll also need a carry-on bag for the last night as you'll set your bags out to be collected the night before, so you'll need a bag for everything that you need to get ready that night and for the next morning.

Thanks! I got my passport and did the Set Sail online. I'll definitely pack my swimsuit in my carry-on now. 

Great advice! With all the fun things planned I wasn't really thinking about details like this.

I think doc covered it pretty good. Enchantment is an older girl but still if pretty good shape.  She is one of the smallest.  You didn't say if this was your first on Royal, look for the Quest around the last night in the compass.  Its a nice way to end the cruise.  I enjoyed the Schooner Bar on EOS (sort of a piano bar), has nice windows looking over the water. Just remember you're on vacation.  Don't stress or try to do everything.

This will be my first cruise as an adult (second overall) and my SOs first ever. I'll admit I'm a super-planner and like to be over prepared. The SO... not so much lol. Chilling out and going with the flow will be my ultimate challenge this trip!

33 minutes ago, lelms said:

This will be my first cruise as an adult (second overall) and my SOs first ever. I'll admit I'm a super-planner and like to be over prepared. The SO... not so much lol. Chilling out and going with the flow will be my ultimate challenge this trip!

That is just what you have to do.   There are days I don't even look at the cruise compass, just sit in the solarium and try to hurt the drink package (yeah, I've done it a few times).  We've been on cruises where we didn't even get off the boat.  Make sure you find your way to the Viking Crown lounge, its quiet and has a good view of the pool deck and around the sides of the boat, if they don't kick you out for the diamond party.

16 minutes ago, arebee said:

That is just what you have to do.   There are days I don't even look at the cruise compass, just sit in the solarium and try to hurt the drink package (yeah, I've done it a few times).  We've been on cruises where we didn't even get off the boat.  Make sure you find your way to the Viking Crown lounge, its quiet and has a good view of the pool deck and around the sides of the boat, if they don't kick you out for the diamond party.

We'll be sure to explore the ship thoroughly! I looked at a cruise compass someone uploaded from Enchantment, but there didn't look like there was anything worth going out of our way for. I will, however, be on a mission to discover each and every bar on the ship... :27_sunglasses:

37 minutes ago, arebee said:

Also, I've been inspired by the live bloggers to either do a day by day recap or do an overall review at the end to help others first timers. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going out on the Enchantment ship September 1st - it is one of our favorites, despite being a slightly older ship.  We have been on it about 8 times or so.  Were you doing that cruise or the following one?  We might see you!

We were spoiled when the Enchantment was based in Port Canaveral where the terminal is less than a ten minute drive from our house, this is the first time we will be going out on it since it was moved to Miami.  We REFUSE to go out on the Majesty of the Seas which is now based in Port Canaveral, which is a total dump and needs to be replaced.  We have had several friends go out on the Majesty recently and they all noted it smells like a sewer, as there are constant plumbing issues.  Just gross.

Anyway, about the Enchantment.....Most of the points were covered by others, so I'll add a few extra things.  The Park Cafe in the Solarium is a great place to get a really delicious roast beef sandwich during the day if you get snackish.  Sign up for the art auction, its a lot of fun and they serve tons of free champagne.  :-)  The pirate museum is a fun place to go in Nassau, as well as visiting the queen staircase and the fort above it.  You asked about the snorkeling at CocoCay, its fun to do, just wear lots of sunscreen as its peak sun this time of year!!  Have fun & hope to see you there!

We did Enchantment as our first cruise. Since then she has been stretched and refurbished.  If you drink wine you can bring 2 bottles on board to have in your room. Also think about bringing snacks on board as well.  In Key West I would recommend Cuban Coffee Queen for coffee.  Rodriguez cigars if you enjoy a nice cigar.   And Eaton Street Seafood Market.  As well as the other tourist traps especially Hogs Breath Saloon.    Your Deluxe drink package is the way to go as well.  We used to bring water and soda on. Not any more.  The deluxe drink  package covers it all.  One tip about the package.  If you want more than 1 water when going off the ship. Get 1 water at breakfast and another as you go to disembark.  They only sell 1 at a time.  Kind of a hassle but whatever.   Also as soon as you get on the boat go the main dining room and get your specialty restaurants and times squared away.   They fill up fast.   Most importantly  :  ENJOY your cruise.

Edited by fonemanbob
Added information

Was on the Enchantment in April, good ship for a quick getaway.  She's older and a little rusty in spots (outside) but clean and comfortable.  Nice pool deck and it shouldn't be crowded during the day since a lot / most will be off ship.   We loved Coco Cay, and since the Enchantment is on the smaller side, Coco Cay shouldn't be crowded at all.  Snorkeling equipment rentals will run around $30.  The MDR was decent, WIndjammer actually very good, and Chops was okay.  Someone mentioned the Schooner Bar, I really liked the Sidecar there.    You also mentioned something to do in Miami.  While we stayed in Fort Lauderdale, my co-worker had a port stop in Miami and visited Vizcaya Museum & Gardens and they really enjoyed that.   Have fun.