Dining for two

At the risk of sounding stupid here would someone mind explaining to me the differences between MTD and Traditional dining. We always travel as just the two of us and of the dozen cruises we have been on we have never eaten in the MD. We choose to eat at the specialty restaurants (Love Chops!) or Windjammer, or Johnny Rockets, etc most of the time. Reading all of the discussion here in various posts about the MD I am starting to feel like we are missing out on that experience.

We have not eaten in the MD for for 2 reasons;

1) We prefer to eat by ourselves. Like everyone else vacation time and $ to spend on them are a precious resource and for us it is time to spend together and we just prefer dining that way.

2)  The tables for 2, from what I have seen, always seem to be in awkward areas in such large rooms. I have noticed some that look like they are in what we would consider a better spot.

With traditional dining you get assigned to one table for the cruise right? Does MTD give you any flexibility in choosing a table for the week?

Anyone else have experience in dining for just two?

Thanks in advance for any info/guidance.

1 hour ago, whenismynextcruise said:

At the risk of sounding stupid here would someone mind explaining to me the differences between MTD and Traditional dining. We always travel as just the two of us and of the dozen cruises we have been on we have never eaten in the MD. We choose to eat at the specialty restaurants (Love Chops!) or Windjammer, or Johnny Rockets, etc most of the time. Reading all of the discussion here in various posts about the MD I am starting to feel like we are missing out on that experience.

1) We prefer to eat by ourselves. Like everyone else vacation time and $ to spend on them are a precious resource and for us it is time to spend together and we just prefer dining that way.

2)  The tables for 2, from what I have seen, always seem to be in awkward areas in such large rooms. I have noticed some that look like they are in what we would consider a better spot.

With traditional dining you get assigned to one table for the cruise right? Does MTD give you any flexibility in choosing a table for the week?

My wife and I had a table for two last year (Allure) and this year (Serenade) in the MDR. Months before embarkation, I called RCI and requested a table for two by a window, which we got both trips. I think if you call them well ahead of your trip they will take care of you. With the MTD, you will get moved around the dining room based on what is vacant at the dining time you request.  

1 hour ago, whenismynextcruise said:

We have requested a table for 2 in the main dining room several times and it has always worked out well. As far as location, we usually go to the dining room as soon as we board to make sure that our assigned table is, in fact, a table for 2 and that we like the location. The staff has always been very accommodating and we have never had to switch. We loved our spot last time and will be on the same ship again next cruise (Adventure). So we will email a few weeks ahead to request the same table. I think the address is rcldining@rccl.com

Once again the this Blog has the answers! I am definitely  going to call with a request for a table by the window. Our next RCL trip is Anthem for Thanksgiving so I am guessing that there is plenty of lead time for this. I may even send an email to the address Skid supplied.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. 

~Mark

On 7/29/2017 at 1:40 PM, whenismynextcruise said:

Once again the this Blog has the answers! I am definitely  going to call with a request for a table by the window. Our next RCL trip is Anthem for Thanksgiving so I am guessing that there is plenty of lead time for this. I may even send an email to the address Skid supplied.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. 

~Mark

FYI, I emailed them and got a reply that table assignments on the ships are done 50 days before sail date and to resend the request around that time frame. Again, address is rcldining@rccl.com

The two of us also have MTD and are interested in a table for two as well.  I'm a little confused though - is there three different parts of the main dining room?  I also have read that sometimes there are charges in the MDR if you want a specific food item - is this the case?

2 hours ago, Erika1971 said:

The two of us also have MTD and are interested in a table for two as well.  I'm a little confused though - is there three different parts of the main dining room?  I also have read that sometimes there are charges in the MDR if you want a specific food item - is this the case?

Erika,

What cruise ship will you be on?:27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, Erika1971 said:

When you check in for dinner, just tell them you want a table for 2; it won't be a problem. 

There are a couple of items from the Chops specialty restaurant that can be purchased in the main dining room (a steak and a whole lobster) that are clearly marked and set off to the side on the menu. You won't incur a charge without knowing about it. 

3 hours ago, Erika1971 said:

Thank you so much!!!  I wanted to do the early dining but it was booked. Can I request a MTD time ahead of time?  (Before cruising)?

I believe you can on the cruise planner under the beverages and dining heading. Select dining and scroll down to the My Time Dining option, add to your cart, select who will be dining with you and then select the time. Hopefully the early seating will be available.

By the way, we were on the Allure last year, which is the sister ship of the Oasis. The main dining room on the Allure had three levels, each with a different theme. Deck 4 was the American Icon, Deck 5 was Silk (oriental decor) and I am having a senior moment trying to remember deck 6, it happens. Decks 4 and 6 had windows in the dining room but deck 5 did not. The running track is on deck 5 and who wants to see a bunch of athlete wanna-be's while you're having dinner? That was the Allure, may be similar on the Oasis.

One more important thing......Have fun and enjoy your cruise!:27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

The running track is on deck 5 and who wants to see a bunch of athlete wanna-be's while you're having dinner? 

What's worse, watching people exercise while your eating or being watched by people exercising while you eat? Hmm..............:35_thinking:

On 8/1/2017 at 8:36 PM, Skid said:

FYI, I emailed them and got a reply that table assignments on the ships are done 50 days before sail date and to resend the request around that time frame. Again, address is rcldining@rccl.com

Hi Skid,

I am at day 109 (I think) for Thanksgiving trip on Anthem now so I will set a 50 day reminder to request a window table. 

2 hours ago, FManke said:

What's worse, watching people exercise while your eating or being watched by people exercising while you eat? Hmm..............:35_thinking:

Well, the people exercising aren't watching you eat. They are watching out for the people watching you eat, ie, the walkers/strollers/"casual observers.