Grandeur of the Seas

shumax

I'm considering taking my family on the 9-day cruise up the East Coast in 2018.  I've sailed with RC before and had a good experience.  I was about to book this trip, but noticed the average, to below average, reviews of the ship.  Sounds old, run down and ready for a refurb.  I also read it's not good for kids and the activities are slim.  I have two girls 9 and 12, so I need to be sure they are at least somewhat content with their offerings.  Finally, how is the wifi on this ship?

I don't want to spend $4,000 on a cruise to have it be average, to below average.  I read it is due for a refurb.  Any idea if this is true?  If so, has it happened?

Thanks,

Shumax

I have cruised to Bermuda on the Grandeur a few years ago and enjoyed it we did not have any children. Its a smaller ship so it won't have all the activities of the larger class ships but I would think there is plenty to do. Try googling Grandeur and activities for children you will get a lot of information hope this helps. We had a Grand Suite and it was a great room with a large balcony she is older but I would sail on her again.

Ed

Grandeur, on average, receives 4 out of 5 stars according to Cruise Critic.  Does it have all the bells & whistles?  No.  Is it run down?  No  It just came out of rehab earlier this year.  Is it great for kids?  I guess that's subjective not knowing what your kids like (some kids just want internet access and they're happy).  I know my wife and I LOVE Grandeur because it is a little laid back.  As for the number of kids on the ship?  That is usually determined by the time of year (in school or not)  We love going in the fall because there isn't a lot of kids.  Let me put it this way, at least for us, we wouldn't have two more booked on her if we didn't love her.

Mark

14 hours ago, shumax said:

I was about to book this trip, but noticed the average, to below average, reviews of the ship. 

Ignore all the reviews. Seriously.  

I can find you negative online reviews of Star Wars, puppies and ice cream.  All it means is some people have no soul different tastes, but I recommend not relying on the reviews in picking a cruise ship.  I've found these reviews to be notoriously unreliable.

I don't necessarily disagree. I just need to find some tangible information relative to the updates they made. Specifically, updates to the technology like the Wi-Fi, as well as activities for the kids, fitness equipment, updates to the rooms, etc.  Anyone have any of that?  Sale ends tonight,   So I am trying to move on it quickly. Thanks again! 

As for the Wi-Fi ---- very good ..... in places to be honest, being an older ship, there are nooks & crannies where it's less than stellar and other areas where it's insanely good.

Fitness Equipment?  What's that, I on vacation..... lol - Actually, a friend of mine was on earlier this month and had positive things to say about the equipment. 

Kids things .... Those reviews run the entire spectrum ..... I've heard it all ..... I chalk that up to the kids and a cruise is what you make of it.  Some have a GREAT time while others have had a mediocre time, but I've never heard of a kid having a lousy time.

As for the rooms ..... I heard recently that they added electrical outlets to some (not sure if all, but I would love it if they did) -- I've also gotten mixed messages about the mattresses, some were replaced while it would appear that others have not.

Hope this helps some,

Mark

One strategy you can use is to search YouTube for videos of Grandeur. Filter it to videos from last 1-2 years (so that you know you have recent info) and look for walk through videos.  I think that will put your mind at ease.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Ignore all the reviews. Seriously.  

I can find you negative online reviews of Star Wars

Rightfully so after Episodes I and II. I give III a pass because at least the ending was good. 

To Matt's point, people are more inclined to criticize than praise. There old motto for the TV industry was too count everyone who wrote in it called 10 times if they praised something, but only 1 time if they complained about something. 

Is any cruise perfect? No. You can find fault with anything. However, I guarantee the good will outweigh the bad and I've yet to be in a cruise that I wouldn't have stayed on had they invited me to do so. 

2 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Rightfully so after Episodes I and II. I give III a pass because at least the ending was good. 

Agreed....

I don't have first hand knowledge so this is a bit like an on-line review but my co-worker and his family went on the Grandeur in April (pre-refurb) and had nothing but good things to say.  They have two middle school age girls and all have multiple cruises under their belts.  They did all the family activities: shows, trivia, scavenger hunts, etc and indicated that they were never wanting for things to do.  I know it's second hand but the best I've got.

We are actually pet sitting for some neighbors next week as they depart on the Grandeur for what sounds like the same itinerary you are looking at.  I'll see what they have to say when they return.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with my neighbors yesterday and they just got off the 9 Day New England/Canada cruise on the Grandeur and they loved it.  The ship was in good shape and looked nice, the staff was really good.   The MDR food was good not great.  Their comment was that the descriptions don't always match the actual product but it was good none the less.  Said it was a mix of 60+ couples and younger families  (they are in their late 40s with a high school and college junior).  The kids did not participate in any of the clubs or get togethers but they are book worms and are happy relaxing with a book, watching the ocean go by.   Their least favorite port was Boston.  They did the hop on/hop off tour bus but never got off because the "hop back on" lines were too long and they didn't want to get stuck.   Loved Bar Harbor.    One of the Canadian stops (can't remember which) they had rented a car from Hertz and did a self driving tour but said don't do Hertz.  While it's the closest to the port, it's a one man band seasonal office  and the one man was woefully inefficient.   At one of the Canadian ports (sorry can't remember which) there was a popular beach/bay that was mobbed with people and off road parking was over a mile away.    But the scenery at each were great (according to them).  They did say to bring a jacket as they weren't quite prepared for how chilly it could be.

One thing they wouldn't do again is get inside cabins.  Clean and efficient but very small (older ship).  Side note:  I thought the oceanview on the Enchantment (same class) was ample for two people.    

Hope this helps.   As with anything, there was good and bad but their first comment to us was "you have to go on this cruise".   

And they absolutely loved going under the bridges.   They actually didn't do the MDR the first night in order to stay on deck and watch as they sailed under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

@mbk999 - thanks for reporting back!

We rented exclusively through Enterprise and were quite happy with them on this route. As for Boston, if one is able to walk, the best option might be to take a cab or Uber over to the Freedom Trail (about 3 miles) and simply walk it. I've only done the HoHo bus once in Europe and won't likely do them again largely because of the experience you've reported. They're fine if you just want a bus trip that takes in the sights, but they're often inefficient if you actually want to get on and off a lot.

22 hours ago, DocLC said:

@mbk999 - thanks for reporting back!

We rented exclusively through Enterprise and were quite happy with them on this route. As for Boston, if one is able to walk, the best option might be to take a cab or Uber over to the Freedom Trail (about 3 miles) and simply walk it. I've only done the HoHo bus once in Europe and won't likely do them again largely because of the experience you've reported. They're fine if you just want a bus trip that takes in the sights, but they're often inefficient if you actually want to get on and off a lot.

That's what they said they'd do next time, rent from Enterprise.   The bus sounded nightmarish as people were apparently waiting over an hour to "hop back on"  Then the bus driver threw the current passengers under the bus by blaming them for not hopping off.