Currency Exchange

Rayza

On cruises out of Australia does RCL present onboard accounts in US dollars and then convert it to Australian dollars or do they charge your credit card in US dollars?  What is there exchange rate policy -e.g do they charge 4-5 cents below market rate?

When you assign the credit card to your account you are given the opportunity to let RCL change to your currency, or have them charge your card in USD and let your card company convert.  It is best to let your credit card company convert it as they use banking rates, while RCL will use tourism rates (geared towards pocketing a bit themselves).  I do not know what the exact difference is but I know it's better this way.

5 hours ago, Rayza said:

On cruises out of Australia does RCL present onboard accounts in US dollars and then convert it to Australian dollars or do they charge your credit card in US dollars?  What is there exchange rate policy -e.g do they charge 4-5 cents below market rate?

To convert to the currency of your credit card RCL will use retail market rate on the day of the transaction (end of cruise) and then add a service charge of 3%. Check your credit card policy for foreign exchange charges and fees. They will usually be less than the 3%.

Least expensive way is to get a credit card in USD. You have to do the foreign exchange at some point and the best rate is usually done through online banking from your home currency to a USD account and then pay the USD credit card from there. Even after any account or credit card fees we save about $300/yr doing it that way.

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2017 at 2:36 AM, Sailor_to_Cruiser said:

When you assign the credit card to your account you are given the opportunity to let RCL change to your currency, or have them charge your card in USD and let your card company convert.  It is best to let your credit card company convert it as they use banking rates, while RCL will use tourism rates (geared towards pocketing a bit themselves).  I do not know what the exact difference is but I know it's better this way.

Concur with @Sailor_to_Cruiser and @Gears based on our experience in Australia, NZ, and Europe.