What I hate about cruising....

FManke

Any 

4 hours ago, DocLC said:

@FManke That would be nice, but I understand that it's not practical. I believe some of the procurement is arranged 3+ months out.

Any chef worth his own should be able to come up with menu items with a list of ingredients, even if it is three months out.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:36 PM, FManke said:

We lived in Georgia for a couple of years and thought it was funny when people were wearing winter coats when it was in the 40's, and I would just have a sweatshirt on.

lol, I'm one of those... 75 or lower and I need at least a hoodie.  Then again, i work outside, and it's usually in the 80's, 90's, or 100's.

My wife has family in Chicago, we hope to visit in the next few years.  Considering she hasn't seen snow, she'll probably try to get us up there in winter ?

On 7/21/2017 at 7:56 AM, Michael Vitale said:

I hate that there's nothing on tv. Oh sure, I know, I'm on a ship, who needs tv ?  But honestly, who doesn't wish there was something good to have on, even if just as background sound, while dressing, or napping, or chillin out late at night, reading the next day's CC ?  We cracked up the last 2 cruises, they had the same episode of Big Bang on a loop ALL WEEK. 

I'll just sit and watch Molly (I think that's her name) on the RC up-coming-cruises channel.  lol, my wife gets so annoyed.  We watched the same 3 or 4 episodes of big bang on Enchantment in '14... now we have the whole series on DVD.

38 minutes ago, Big Dawg Ron said:

The time I have to wait between cruises AND the chair hogs!  I even periscoped a guy placing a towel down and walking away at 7 in the morning! :P

This past February on Freedom I set out to save two chairs on the last sea day around 630-7 am (after seeing the difficulty with getting a decent chair earlier in the week) and I was shocked at how many pool chairs already had towels on them.  Easily more than half, and by 8 am they were all pretty much gone.  For the record, I absolutely hate having to participate in that behavior but it is either that, physically be in the chairs at that hour (which no one does), or pretty much do not get one when the masses descend on the pool at 10-11 am.  I wish attendants would monitor that and tell people as soon as they attempt to place a towel and walk away that it is not permitted, but they do not do that.  I am going on Harmony this February and I imagine it will be even worse on that ship.        

35 minutes ago, JBC said:

This past February on Freedom I set out to save two chairs on the last sea day around 630-7 am (after seeing the difficulty with getting a decent chair earlier in the week) and I was shocked at how many pool chairs already had towels on them.  Easily more than half, and by 8 am they were all pretty much gone.  For the record, I absolutely hate having to participate in that behavior but it is either that, physically be in the chairs at that hour (which no one does), or pretty much do not get one when the masses descend on the pool at 10-11 am.  I wish attendants would monitor that and tell people as soon as they attempt to place a towel and walk away that it is not permitted, but they do not do that.  I am going on Harmony this February and I imagine it will be even worse on that ship.        

I hate to stoop to the level of others also, but you are right. It's a vicious cycle. The more people that do it, will cause more people to do it. Before you know it, people will be putting out their towels the night before. If it already isn't happening. :33_unamused:

20 hours ago, Geema said:

Rude people pushing to get on the elevator without waiting for people in the elevator to get off....my pet peeve everywhere!!!!

Oh that is a good one!!!!!!  Or when you are in the way back of the elevator and it stops on your deck and say excuse me very politely and they don't MOVE!!!!!

30 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Here is another one, I kid you not, I saw this man taking chips with his hands from the Windjammer.  And he did it more then one time.  I asked him very nicely to please use the tongs.  Gross! 

That is truly one of the downsides of buffets! 

I know it doesn't affect me, but what's up with the people piling everything on one plate? Salad, entrees, desserts, etc. Don't they know they can make more than one trip?

This drives my wife crazy. She is very anal about that though and doesn't like her food to touch each other! :1_grinning:

2 hours ago, FManke said:

That is truly one of the downsides of buffets! 

I know it doesn't affect me, but what's up with the people piling everything on one plate? Salad, entrees, desserts, etc. Don't they know they can make more than one trip?

This drives my wife crazy. She is very anal about that though and doesn't like her food to touch each other! :1_grinning:

That didn't bother me, but the wasting of food does.   I'm all over trying different things,  but only try a spoonful, not a cup,  and then feel free to get more!  Jane

5 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

That didn't bother me, but the wasting of food does.   I'm all over trying different things,  but only try a spoonful, not a cup,  and then feel free to get more!  Jane

Agreed. You can make as many trips as you want. Take a small amount and if you like it, go back for as much as you can eat. Take what you want and eat what you take. 

On 7/26/2017 at 7:32 AM, Floski said:

Image result for hitchhiker

Floski, you're so right. I'm 4 1/2 hours from Galveston, but we decided to venture out for a couple of Group cruises, and a southern Caribbean itinerary I was really interested in out of San Juan, but the airfares are just crazy now. Round trip to San Juan for my wife and I was over $1300.  After the San Juan cruise in February '18 I think we will go back to Galveston. I love Liberty, and have the Galveston routine down pat. Take away the flights to FLL and SJU, and I could cruise 3 times a year rather than 2. 

23 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

I'll just sit and watch Molly (I think that's her name) on the RC up-coming-cruises channel.  lol, my wife gets so annoyed.  We watched the same 3 or 4 episodes of big bang on Enchantment in '14... now we have the whole series on DVD.

If you really wanna bug your wife, bring the dvd's, and play the same episode on "repeat", and see how long it is before she notices,, and screams LOL

16 hours ago, FManke said:

Agreed. You can make as many trips as you want. Take a small amount and if you like it, go back for as much as you can eat. Take what you want and eat what you take. 

You all are missing the point of a buffet.  It's about being lazy, and getting your money's worth (or more).  If you have to get up to get more then you're wasting valuable eating time.  So pile it up!  ?

Side note:  That was total sarcasm.  I know some people have various mobility issues, and a pile of food is much easier, and quicker than making multiple trips.

On 7/20/2017 at 9:41 AM, Matt said:

The limited vacation time to take cruises!

I feel your pain. Having also recently started a new job, my vacation time reset. Worse, I had a few cruises already booked when I started my new job last fall, so I actually had to go negative in my vacation balance to keep the cruises.

As it stands now, my vacation time is fully allocated for the next five cruises that I have booked between now and March 2019.

Fortunately, though, in October 2019, I'll start earning an extra week of vacation per year. That'll help make booking cruises easier. :5_smiley:

Guest toodle68

I am so thankful to work for a company that does not have a set vacation policy and does not count how much time you take.  When I first moved to the US, I went from 35 vacation days in the UK to 'earning' 6 days a year in the US..  no wonder American's don't travel much.

5 hours ago, toodle68 said:

I am so thankful to work for a company that does not have a set vacation policy and does not count how much time you take.  When I first moved to the US, I went from 35 vacation days in the UK to 'earning' 6 days a year in the US..  no wonder American's don't travel much.

So how did they account for your "vacation" pay?