What I hate about cruising....

FManke

Guest toodle68

The cost of getting there and back. We have a 7 day southern cruise next year and I realized that for the same price, I can fly to Europe and spend a week in a European city.

The stress of the drive the morning of the cruise (I'm 2 1/2 hours away from Baltimore) -- Not knowing what the traffic will be like, or road conditions, can be stressful.  Fortunately, leaving early in the morning decreases the odds of heavy traffic and the problems associated with it.

As for things about cruises that I hate/don't like as far as ON the cruises themselves:

(in no particular order)

- Chair Hoggers 

- Artificial-Intelligence Elevators (the ones that skip floors when they're "kinda full" but still have room... they decide when and if they want to stop to pick up people, etc...) 

- Rude people around the Elevators... 

- When the captain is available for pictures for a window of about 12 minutes, and 750 people want to get their picture taken with him/her.... 

3 hours ago, toodle68 said:

The cost of getting there and back. We have a 7 day southern cruise next year and I realized that for the same price, I can fly to Europe and spend a week in a European city.

I am paying so much for our spring break air fare that we decided to leap and do europe next year.   The airfare looks to be only 200 to 300 more!   Uts not good when you are paying 3/4 of your cruise in air fare (like we are next march! ) Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I am paying so much for our spring break air fare that we decided to leap and do europe next year.   The airfare looks to be only 200 to 300 more!   Uts not good when you are paying 3/4 of your cruise in air fare (like we are next march! ) Jane

You won't be disappointed. I've become a super fan of Europe. I've even considered missing Marathon Weekend to cruise Europe this winter instead of the Caribbean as airfare to Rome is in the $500-$600 range from the California at that time. It would be cold, but we'd also be seeing ports we've never seen before. Plus, the cruise I priced is about $200 per person cheaper than the Caribbean cruise, which makes up for the difference in airfare.

4 minutes ago, DocLC said:

You won't be disappointed. I've become a super fan of Europe. I've even considered missing Marathon Weekend to cruise Europe this winter instead of the Caribbean as airfare to Rome is in the $500-$600 range from the California at that time. It would be cold, but we'd also be seeing ports we've never seen before. Plus, the cruise I priced is about $200 per person cheaper than the Caribbean cruise, which makes up for the difference in airfare.

I agree. I think most people associate cruising with warm weather, but a colder climate would be great, as it's, at least in my opinion, all about the itinerary. 

You said it will be cold, but that's all subjective. It can't be any colder than Chicago in winter and that's what we would be missing if we went at that time! :10_wink:

1 minute ago, FManke said:

I agree. I think most people associate cruising with warm weather, but a colder climate would be great, as it's, at least in my opinion, all about the itinerary. 

You said it will be cold, but that's all subjective. It can't be any colder than Chicago in winter and that's what we would be missing if we went at that time! :10_wink:

Good point! I was born in Hawaii and raised in Southern California, so my notion of cold is very different.  Also, when we did Norway, the highs were in the 50s and in the British Isles a couple of weeks ago it was high 50s/low 60s, so what's 20 less degrees?

1 minute ago, DocLC said:

Good point! I was born in Hawaii and raised in Southern California, so my notion of cold is very different.  Also, when we did Norway, the highs were in the 50s and in the British Isles a couple of weeks ago it was high 50s/low 60s, so what's 20 less degrees?

We lived in Georgia for a couple of years and thought it was funny when people were wearing winter coats when it was in the 40's, and I would just have a sweatshirt on.

8 hours ago, DocLC said:

But its disney!!!  Jane

8 hours ago, FManke said:

Anything is better than the winter of 2014 in chicago...though it is what led me to my first cruise in the winter of 2015!  I think with the newer "destination in itself" ships, and great ports to visit,  i could be persuaded to go someplace colder"...   Jane

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I know . . . and it's my first marathon attempt after a couple of years of half marathons!

I did the half in 2011 and the whole in 2014.  Im so slow i don't think i will ever do a whole again because my training runs take forever.   So im back for one more donald medal!   Ok...so back to this thread...what i hate is having to choose between my passion for disney and my desire to cruise and have sea days!  Jane

3 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I did the half in 2011 and the whole in 2014.  Im so slow i don't think i will ever do a whole again because my training runs take forever.   So im back for one more donald medal!   Ok...so back to this thread...what i hate is having to choose between my passion for disney and my desire to cruise and have sea days!  Jane

You can do both! We're post cruising at Disney World since we have to fly to Florida anyways. And as you know, we got off our British Isles cruise a day early in France and spent a day at the two Disney Parks there.

See, you can have your cake and eat it, too!

I hate that there's nothing on tv. Oh sure, I know, I'm on a ship, who needs tv ?  But honestly, who doesn't wish there was something good to have on, even if just as background sound, while dressing, or napping, or chillin out late at night, reading the next day's CC ?  We cracked up the last 2 cruises, they had the same episode of Big Bang on a loop ALL WEEK. 

When the self-serve soda machines frequently run out of ice (they have to be manually restocked by the crew, which is needed frequently on hot cruise days), and run out of the soda concentrate selections (most often diet versions for some reason).

Limited hours of the self-serve soft-serve ice cream machines. Would be great to get a late-nite cone up on the top decks, lay back and watch the stars.

15 hours ago, Michael Vitale said:

I hate that there's nothing on tv. Oh sure, I know, I'm on a ship, who needs tv ?  But honestly, who doesn't wish there was something good to have on, even if just as background sound, while dressing, or napping, or chillin out late at night, reading the next day's CC ?  We cracked up the last 2 cruises, they had the same episode of Big Bang on a loop ALL WEEK. 

We got lucky...my last cruise on adventure was during the summer olympics!   There was always summering on tv!  Jane

32 minutes ago, Jason.H. said:

The main dining room menu hasn't changed since my first cruise in september of 2010. Going this september on Oasis so maybe it will have some updates! If not, oh well. It's still good and I didn't have to make it or clean up after it.

I so agree. Perhaps I cruise too much, but I and so tired of the menus. I really would like to see them changed at least yearly. In my fantasy world, there'd be an Fall/Winter menu and then a Spring/Summer menu. 

58 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I so agree. Perhaps I cruise too much, but I and so tired of the menus. I really would like to see them changed at least yearly. In my fantasy world, there'd be an Fall/Winter menu and then a Spring/Summer menu. 

In a ideal world this would happen. I think being that this of course is a corporate world, things don't move that fast. All of the changes have to go through a lot of people before final approval.

In my perfect world, they keep the standard menu offerings in the MDR, but wouldn't it be interesting to let each of the ships executive chefs have their own hand in designing the "specials" section of the  menus for their own ships. Imagine each ship offering different "special" menus in the MDR! I think an easy solution would be to give the chefs a list of ingredients, like they do on the cooking shows and let them design a menu around them. You can do a lot of different things with a basic list of ingredients made available across the fleet. The ships already carry the basic same ingredients based on current menus. Make it a competition, and the winners would surely be the cruisers!

Just a thought.