First Night Done Right

rjac

Has anyone done a dining package on Anthem and checked/changed assigned reservations once on board?

Thanksgiving will be our third year in a row on her. Even though the itinerary isn't great its a nice pre-winter getaway and Bayonne is only a 4 hour drive for us and the ship is really beautiful.

In November 2015  I didn't do a dining package because it was a new ship and we wanted to try out all of the options and found making reservations on board fairly easy. Last year I did a BOGO and lucked out and I was able to choose Chops, but what I didn't do is make other reservations for the rest of the week until day 2. This was a major fail on my part. All of the early dining options were booked at most specialty restaurants leaving a very limited choice so we ended up elsewhere a lot more than I would have preferred. 

For this year I have gone ahead and already booked and paid for dinner the first night and a lunch at Chops to try that out. I really want to take advantage of one of the dining packages but I don't want to get stuck with reservations at restaurants that through previous experience we have already decided that we don't really care for. 

So my question is, if I buy a dining package (5 night is what I am looking at) how soon once we are on board can I go to guest services and review and/or make changes to the pre-assigned restaurants? We are typically on board before 11 and since we no longer need the first day exploration of the ship time I could go right to guest services or wherever the place is that I need to go to handle this. What time are they open? 

I want to work this trip like a pro cruiser that many of you are so your experience and advice is appreciated here.

thanks!

On 9/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, whenismynextcruise said:

So my question is, if I buy a dining package (5 night is what I am looking at) how soon once we are on board can I go to guest services and review and/or make changes to the pre-assigned restaurants? We are typically on board before 11 and since we no longer need the first day exploration of the ship time I could go right to guest services or wherever the place is that I need to go to handle this. What time are they open?

Based on similar questions and the replies I've seen, you should be able to go to the MDR and review / edit the reservations as soon as you board. If not immediately after, then certainly by noon from everything I've read here.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, whenismynextcruise said:

I don't want to get stuck with reservations at restaurants that through previous experience we have already decided that we don't really care for.

Out of curiosity, which restaurants were those? The one specialty dining venue my wife and I are considering right now for our 5-nighter to Bermuda on Anthem next year is Wonderland. We saw a few YouTube videos from folks who dined there, and while I'm not 100% sold on it, it does look pretty interesting and I think we'd find enough to suit our different tastes in food that we could walk away not hungry.

Thanks JL. I think that I will make that my plan and go right to the MDR to review the reservations first day. Get it done and get it right first day.

I don't think I am going to review which restaurant(s) we didn't enjoy. Its so subjective for everyone. I will say this though. We have been able to experience all of the specialty restaurants on Anthem in the past and all of them are worth the experience. Its more a matter of "been there, done that, wouldn't go there again" in some cases. The style of the place, the portions and the selections are what we base our decisions on. The great thing about cruising it there is always another choice!

Their is nothing better than having a premium bacon dipped in rich dark chocolate.  And if you want an ultimate treat. Dip the bacon in caramel and then dark chocolate.   We bought the BOGO  package for our cruise in Feb. on Rhapsody. Like I have stated earlier we check in early and hit the MDR and see what we were assigned.  Worst case scenario we apply the $ to the restaurants where we want dine.   And last but not least it is so true that it is all in the wording of the ad.    Kind of like its what you say not how you say it.  

2 hours ago, jce2 said:

Is there any way to get those Chicken stuffed jalepenos with bacon wrap withOUT a reservation at Sabors?

No longer a la carte.

@JLMoran we were not at all fans of Wonderland. But like @whenismynextcruise said, food is very subjective. Some love it, but we will never go back for food. Wonderland bar on Harmony was excellent.

• 1 month later...

We are on Oasis for this Thanksgiving. Okay this is our understanding of 1NDR. We paid 15.00 pp for either Giovonni's or Sabor, as these are the only 2 we have been told do this on Oasis. We have also read that for another 15.00 pp we could upgrade to Chops. Since Chops is 49.00 pp it makes sense to us to explore this for 30.00 which is a 40% discount. Does this sound right?

23 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

We are on Oasis for this Thanksgiving. Okay this is our understanding of 1NDR. We paid 15.00 pp for either Giovonni's or Sabor, as these are the only 2 we have been told do this on Oasis. We have also read that for another 15.00 pp we could upgrade to Chops. Since Chops is 49.00 pp it makes sense to us to explore this for 30.00 which is a 40% discount. Does this sound right?

We ate at Giovanni's last week on Serenade. It was fantastic! Well worth the $24 we paid, so it would be a steal at $15.

We enjoyed Chops, we paid $30. To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the $49. Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, FManke said:

We ate at Giovanni's last week on Serenade. It was fantastic! Well worth the $24 we paid, so it would be a steal at $15.

We enjoyed Chops, we paid $30. To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the $49. Just my opinion.

I agree $49 is not worth it to us either. But getting 1NDR for $15 the adding another $15 to make it $30 seems reasonable to us. This is what we will try do when we get on board. We have booked Chops for lunch for $19 each with a reduce menu.

18 hours ago, FManke said:

I agree that Chops isn't worth $49. Other cruise lines have competing restaurants with a better selection of steaks for less money. Of course, the base fares are usually higher, so I guess you're paying for it one way or another.