Swim Lessons Really

RBRSKI

First of all, my children are now 12 and 16 and my wife and I have had and will continue to have great moments where we teach our children things in life.  I guess we are now a society where parenting is something we pawn off to other people.  I know what some people might think "some parents would not know how to teach children to swim or maybe they can't swim" but why would you wait to teach them on a cruise.  Oh I know, so that the kids would be in swim lessons for half of the day and adventure ocean for the other half.  

Does sound like a dumb time to teach kids to swim.  Swim lessons for kids take at least a few outings.  I agree that it sounds like something else the parents can pay for to pawn the kids off for a while.  To each their own though I guess.         

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

It took me a second to figure out the Dolphin comment LOL.  The last few years have been painful being a "Fin" fan but hey, we made it to the playoffs.  See you are from NY/NJ, hopefully u are a giants fan!!!!

Hey...you could be me--a detroit lions and red wings fan living in chicago!   Playoffs...what is this strange concept you speak of?  

To get back on topic,  i would put my kids in swim lessons on land in a heartbeat.   Can i swim?  Yes.  Did i play/teach my kids to swim? Sorta but lessons were a good idea.   In terms of on the ship,  i wouldn't because of the cost unless my kids were dying to do it instead of something else.   Doesn't make me a bad parent if they are in the kids club or in an activity...its all of our vacation and my teens were very happy not seeing me at all the last cruise! 

In terms of the lessons,  im much more concerned about them taking over pool space at peak hours.   And if they run lessons at bad times,  they prob won't fill them.   Seems like a weird offering overall.   Jane

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, mom2mybugs said:

Hey...you could be me--a detroit lions and red wings fan living in chicago!   Playoffs...what is this strange concept you speak of?  

To get back on topic,  i would put my kids in swim lessons on land in a heartbeat.   Can i swim?  Yes.  Did i play/teach my kids to swim? Sorta but lessons were a good idea.   In terms of on the ship,  i wouldn't because of the cost unless my kids were dying to do it instead of something else.   Doesn't make me a bad parent if they are in the kids club or in an activity...its all of our vacation and my teens were very happy not seeing me at all the last cruise! 

In terms of the lessons,  im much more concerned about them taking over pool space at peak hours.   And if they run lessons at bad times,  they prob won't fill them.   Seems like a weird offering overall.   Jane

I miss the Blackhawks-Red Wings rivalry. Just not the same since the Wings went to the Eastern Conference! :57_cry:

On 18/07/2017 at 10:27 PM, RBRSKI said:

First of all, my children are now 12 and 16 and my wife and I have had and will continue to have great moments where we teach our children things in life.  I guess we are now a society where parenting is something we pawn off to other people.  I know what some people might think "some parents would not know how to teach children to swim or maybe they can't swim" but why would you wait to teach them on a cruise.  Oh I know, so that the kids would be in swim lessons for half of the day and adventure ocean for the other half.  

I would put my kids in swimming lessons, and not because I've waited until I'm on a cruise for them to learn how to swim or to get rid of them for some of the day.  Do you have any idea how boring it can be for kids on holiday when they are surrounded by adults?  Do you not think living in each others pockets for a week or longer can take its toll on everyone?  Kids have boundless energy and want to be on the go all the time.  We can try and make it as fun as possible but ultimately there's only so much you can do on board.  This is an activity they can choose to take part in if they wish and gives them some time away from their parents.

With regards to them learning at home - my husband can't swim and I wouldn't be confident enough to be responsible for 2 non-swimming children.  The lessons at the local centre here have a massive waiting list, which my children are on, but if the cruise came around sooner than the lessons they why not have them learn whilst on board?

Guest toodle68

It's funny how times have changed..  Our swim lessons really were the 'thrown in the deep end' type ..  and in all our vacations or trips, I can't ever remember our parents needing to entertain us.. we were out the door in a heartbeat. From the moment we were walking, our parents just told us to 'go play' and we were gone. I truly can't remember ever being bored as a kid and we had zero electronics. A soccer ball, bikes, a local pond/river or the local park with 20 foot slides, huge swings on concrete and the roundabout of death.. 

2 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

It's funny how times have changed..  Our swim lessons really were the 'thrown in the deep end' type ..  and in all our vacations or trips, I can't ever remember our parents needing to entertain us.. we were out the door in a heartbeat. From the moment we were walking, our parents just told us to 'go play' and we were gone. I truly can't remember ever being bored as a kid and we had zero electronics. A soccer ball, bikes, a local pond/river or the local park with 20 foot slides, huge swings on concrete and the roundabout of death.. 

I totally agree.  My sister and I used to be out all day as kids and there was no phone to contact us on either!  I think parents are more cautious these days, myself included.

2 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

Yeah, I had the same type of swim lessons from my 11 year older brother. Not sure if he was trying to teach me how to swim or trying to get rid of me! Looks like you had some great stuff to play with. I had a stick, an empty can, a beat up old baseball and a very flatulent mutt!:27_sunglasses:

Same here. Our only rule was "be home when the street lights come on".  Other than that, we were long gone every day.  No helicopter parents in those days !  ...and guess what ?  We all survived !  AND we learned how to entertain ourselves.  Kids don't even leave the house these days unless mommy or daddy is taking them to an organized event - usually at an exorbitant fee.

I personally think it is great. There are many reasons why people are not exposed to swimming as a young person. I was fortunate as a kid back in the "good old days" but I had lots of friends and acquaintances that due to financial restraints, geographical situation or other family interests who didn't know how to swim. I had friends who had their 1st motorcycle by tne time they were 5, their parents didnt find it at all odd that  i didn't know how to ride one. Regardless of the reason someone has not had such an opportunity, I would commend the parent who, while their child was literally surrounded by water, might want their children to learn to swim on a cruise.. Yes my parents threw me in the lake when I was 4. Then they signed me up for swimming lessons, tadpole thru lifesaving. I don't believe my parents were looking for a baby sitter, they wanted me to be an expert swimmer, able to enjoy surfing, waterskiing, cliff jumping, etc. Blessed and grateful they did. 

I personally think it is great. There are many reasons why people are not exposed to swimming as a young person. I was fortunate as a kid back in the "good old days" but I had lots of friends and acquaintances that due to financial restraints, geographical situation or other family interests who didn't know how to swim. I had friends who had their 1st motorcycle by tne time they were 5, their parents didnt find it at all odd that  i didn't know how to ride one. Regardless of the reason someone has not had such an opportunity, I would commend the parent who, while their child was literally surrounded by water, might want their children to learn to swim on a cruise.. Yes my parents threw me in the lake when I was 4. Then they signed me up for swimming lessons, tadpole thru lifesaving. I don't believe my parents were looking for a baby sitter, they wanted me to be an expert swimmer, able to enjoy surfing, waterskiing, cliff jumping, etc. Blessed and grateful they did. 

8 hours ago, FManke said:

I miss the Blackhawks-Red Wings rivalry. Just not the same since the Wings went to the Eastern Conference! :57_cry:

It's totally  not...but then again, after 25 years of playoffs, we need to rebuild and wed be losing...id have to listen to my son go on and on about his great blackhawks...barf!  Jane

If I were a parent who waited to give my children swim lesson on vacation, I know I would be at a distance, not in sight, watching them like a hawk.  This would give me a chance to see the progression they are making and be ready to give the extra support only a parent could give.  

I wonder what initiated this type of service?

With any offering I always consider "is this detracting from the experiences of others".  While I admit I've not researched this (I didn't even know it was an option), short of occupying pool time (frankly a non-issue on Oasis class at least), I don't see any downside.  If there is demand and it makes people happy, they'll keep it - if not, they'll drop it.  

Don't get me wrong, to me, swimming lessons should start early (I'm probably bias, as while not a parent, I had an Olympian as a swimming instructor and then coach from less than a year old until I was around 12), but again, if something doesn't unecessarily detract from the enjoyment of others, then I'm all for it.  I have little interest in the rock walls on RCI ships (I love rock climbing, which is part of why I actually find them a poor replacement for what I enjoy) but they don't in any isgnificant way hurt my experience.  Sure, without them there might be other stuff I would use more - and if frogs had wings... I know I do have a simple option, sail a line without rock walls (and I do, I've got 3 other lines booked right now). 

As a side thought, while I agree that swimming as a skill doesn't happen in just a lesson or two, proving someone the ability to safely and comfrotably wade, get to the edge if they fall in, etc - that can often be taught very quickly.

[End of poorly organized thoughts and back to work]

I have to agree, weird place for swim lessons.  But as others have said, as long as it's not taking away pool time for everyone else, or if you're not lucky enough to live close to a better learning spot...

I was lucky enough to be born and raised 20min from the beach, and had friends with pools (and tractors).  No idea what my first swimming lesson was, but I know I was a capable swimmer and still got sent to swimming lessons one summer.