Alaska land tours

arebee

For those who have done the Alaska cruises,  what do they mean by land tour cities?  Looking at one that leaves from Anchorage and stops in 8 ports but it has Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali and Alyeska as land tour cities but not part of the ports. 

1 hour ago, arebee said:

For those who have done the Alaska cruises,  what do they mean by land tour cities?  Looking at one that leaves from Anchorage and stops in 8 ports but it has Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali and Alyeska as land tour cities but not part of the ports. 

The land tour cities are the cities you visit by bus or train either at the beginning of your cruise if going southbound or after your cruise if going northbound. These are different then the ports you visit while on the cruise. In other words, it's the land portion. 

So these are required?  It seems like the departure port isn't one of those cities, I'd fly into the first land tour?  I'm sure I'll have to call them but since this is for next year I'll have time to do some research.

33 minutes ago, arebee said:

So these are required? 

No, not at all. Totally optional.  I imagine most do not take them, but they are available.  There are also land tours in Europe, from what I understand.

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

No, not at all. Totally optional.  I imagine most do not take them, but they are available.  There are also land tours in Europe, from what I understand.

Thanks, I'll dig in and figure it out.

On land tours it will start in either Anchorage or Fairbanks. If it is a precruise one starting in Anchorage you'll end up looping back to Anchorage before heading to Seward for the cruise. Post cruise, they will take you to Anchorage for the land part and loop back to Anchorage to head back home.

Any of the ones that cover Fairbanks, more than likely it will be the start (precruise) or end (postcruise) of the land tour. Meaning you'll fly in or out of Fairbanks.

When I did Alaska in 2014 the one I did was the 8B cruisetour. Flew in to Fairbanks day 1 of the tour and essentialmy transported to city to city before finally starting the cruise.