What is the truth on the discount for drink package pay in advance or on the ship?

Marni

GREAT SITE!!!!  I am enjoying reading the posts and thanks for adding me.  DH and I are Diamond Plus members and we booked a cruise with our daughter, her hubs, and the 2 grand kids on Oasis in Sept. and we are springing for the voyage. We wanted to purchase the drink package, but heard that if you wait until you are onboard the ship, they offer D+ discounts as much as 30%, is this true? I have read, yes, no, I don't know, so I guess no one really knows. My cruise planner right now is offering a 30% discount in advance for the Ultimate, but that includes Zoom, which I don't want, so it's still the same price. I only want to purchase the Ultimate package for the 4 of us. They are Diamond, so I understand their discount would be 20%. Crown and Anchor is useless, they don't have a clue.

10 minutes ago, Marni said:

GREAT SITE!!!!  I am enjoying reading the posts and thanks for adding me.  DH and I are Diamond Plus members and we booked a cruise with our daughter, her hubs, and the 2 grand kids on Oasis in Sept. and we are springing for the voyage. We wanted to purchase the drink package, but heard that if you wait until you are onboard the ship, they offer D+ discounts as much as 30%, is this true? I have read, yes, no, I don't know, so I guess no one really knows. My cruise planner right now is offering a 30% discount in advance for the Ultimate, but that includes Zoom, which I don't want, so it's still the same price. I only want to purchase the Ultimate package for the 4 of us. They are Diamond, so I understand their discount would be 20%. Crown and Anchor is useless, they don't have a clue.

I don't know about the discount for D+ members, as my wife and I will be only going on our first cruise. I do know that I purchased our drink packages when they were offered at a 30% discount off of onboard rates. I've seen them offered a couple of times at the same rate since I booked our cruise in Feb. I'm not sure if they will be offered again before you cruise in Sept. I would buy whatever you wanted now to lock in a discounted price. You can always change it later if the price drops. I thought I even read that RC will give you a credit if the price is lower once onboard, but I'm not sure about that. I'm sure somebody here will have the correct info, if I'm wrong.

Havent been following the information too closely recently but last I heard it was pretty conclusive that C&A members (at least higher level ones) were eligible for a discount onboard but that nobody onboard ever knows about it.

Seemed like you had to get your list of discounts printed out at a bar and the x% discount would "magically appear" and you could then purchase the drink package with the discount.

Like you I have no interest in the internet package (actually I would probably pay extra to not have the internet package) so if the "deal" is really not a deal for you then I would wait until you are onboard and see if you can get the deal there.

As far as I know it is a rather standard perk these days.  When I was on Grandeur at the end of May I asked for a print-out of the D+ perks and the 30% off beverage plans was one of them.

With all of the recent confusion about who has to purchase packages, etc., it is possible that this perk will or has changed but if your cruise is in the near future, I would expect a 30% D+ discount on the premium package onboard.

Thanks so much. I think that the 30% off would make it somewhat affordable. Even with our Diamond Plus, you still have to wait until evening to get drinks, and on Labadee, it can get pretty high drinking Labadoozels. LOL. I will keep checking on my cruise planner every few days as well.