Middle Name

Why won't they let you use your middle name???  I have NEVER gone by my first name.  All my legal documents ALWAYS have my first and middle.  Only sales people, charities, or scammers call me by my first name.  I can't even recall my parents calling me by my first and middle name with they were mad. 

I have called RC, I have gone to the customer service desk, and I have emailed them.  They all just say let me look into this and will get back to me.  Only one ever did get back with me and they said, why don't you just change your name.  Really????

I believe Matt is exactly right.  I have the same problem.  My middle name worked just fine until I joined the Air Force who insisted in using my first name (actually a lot of otyher names too but we wont go into that!).  Of course legal documents (including passports) will always use the first name.

My passport and DL all have my middle name spelled out.  I could see an issue if just the letter (initial) was there.  Airlines are the same way.  It just sucks because the RC crew is trying to be friendly when they see your name and try to call you by it.  I just stand there like who is that???

I could see the whole nickname thing but this is not a nickname.  I was just cursed by using my middle name.  1st world problems, I know...

Same 1st world problem here...   Michael Brian, go by Brian  and I'm not a jr don't know why my folks did that to me.    It's not just RCI, employee and building badges get Michael stamped on it automatically and they won't change it due to "policy"   I just shrug it off as well.  I should have done a clean break in college and switched to Michael but woulda, coulda, shoulda.... 

22 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Same 1st world problem here...   Michael Brian, go by Brian  and I'm not a jr don't know why my folks did that to me.    It's not just RCI, employee and building badges get Michael stamped on it automatically and they won't change it due to "policy"   I just shrug it off as well.  I should have done a clean break in college and switched to Michael but woulda, coulda, shoulda.... 

I'm suddenly reminded of the "Bruces" sketch from Monty Python (albeit kind of in reverse):

Bruce #1: "Right, let me introduce you to the other faculty. Michael Borwin, Bruce. Michael Borwin, Bruce. Michael Borwin, Bruce."

Bruce #2: "Is your name not Bruce?"

Michael: "No, it's Michael."

Bruce #2: "Well, that's going to cause a little confusion. Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"

23 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'm suddenly reminded of the "Bruces" sketch from Monty Python (albeit kind of in reverse):

Bruce #1: "Right, let me introduce you to the other faculty. Michael Borwin, Bruce. Michael Borwin, Bruce. Michael Borwin, Bruce."

Bruce #2: "Is your name not Bruce?"

Michael: "No, it's Michael."

Bruce #2: "Well, that's going to cause a little confusion. Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"

I almost spit out my first side of Spam.......

On 7/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, function12 said:

Why won't they let you use your middle name???  I have NEVER gone by my first name.  All my legal documents ALWAYS have my first and middle.  Only sales people, charities, or scammers call me by my first name.  I can't even recall my parents calling me by my first and middle name with they were mad. 

I have called RC, I have gone to the customer service desk, and I have emailed them.  They all just say let me look into this and will get back to me.  Only one ever did get back with me and they said, why don't you just change your name.  Really????

I feel your pain and am in the same situation, but this is also the reason why we gave my son a first name that we'd actually call him by. ;)

I also think that Matt's correct. They have to list your legal name on the manifest, but it would be nice if they could add a "preferred" name option to the cards, but that might require too much policing as people might put some inappropriate names on the card.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, function12 said:

Your documents (PHOTO ID) has to match the name you sail with.  This is for Customs.  They screen the manifest 72 hours
prior to the ship sailing - I agree it would be nice to have a preferred name area, but that will never happen
since its a legal thing with immigration etc. etc.