Pulling Out of Falmouth?

This was posted on the Oasis Facebook Page...

Major Cruiselines Pull Out Of Falmouth Port, Financial Fallout Expected

The article says that the mayor of Falmouth says that the cruise lines are concerned about visitor harassment.

Now that sure would be tragic for an area as poor as this would lose $5 million a month because they can't police 

their citizens any better than that.

Saw this on Facebook:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20170707/major-cruiselines-pull-out-falmouth-port-financial-fallout-expected

some weird terminology talking about ships rather than lines, perhaps it's just because it's Jamaican reference.  Looks like it's for real though when looking at some itineraries in 2018 on Allure.  Is this old news and I just wasn't paying attention?

3 minutes ago, yoda288 said:

Saw this on Facebook:

Well it's no wonder. Was there last year on the Allure. Went through the "fenced in"" shopping are, which was pretty neat, but going outside the gate into Falmouth was not good at all. Shanty town vendor shacks, aggressive street vendors, no the cleanest I have ever seen, etc.  I'll stay on the cruise ship next year whe we do Jamaica again!

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20170707/major-cruiselines-pull-out-falmouth-port-financial-fallout-expected

some weird terminology talking about ships rather than lines, perhaps it's just because it's Jamaican reference.  Looks like it's for real though when looking at some itineraries in 2018 on Allure.  Is this old news and I just wasn't paying attention?

We are destined for Falmouth on our 1/21 cruise, but I don't think I'd be too upset if they 

changed ports on us.  I was just saying the other day that I'd be happy with two days in Coz.

I really wanted to go to Jamaica, but the more I read up on it, the less I want to go.  Sad.

I know the country and area need the money.

I just posted this question on the main board.  Should have looked here first.

The last time I was in Jamaica was 13 years ago.  I've been 5 times to many different locales but never to Falmouth.  I've always loved the culture, food, ambiance and people, even if they were a bit aggressive at times.  In fact, I've spent weeks there, traveling all over the island.  Never bothered me a bit and I made some great friends.  I don't know if things have changed in the last 13 years or not, maybe so.  I have an excursion planned to Mystic Mountain in 2 weeks and I'm going to be bummed if it gets cancelled.  I do not want to spend an extra day  in over-commercialized Cozumel.  Will RCCL notify me?  I haven't heard anything.

Who spent the money for that new pier and all the buildings for the shopping area?  I would think if RC didnt pay for the pier they would have signed a contract to come there.  I personally liked Ocho Rios better.

3 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Who spent the money for that new pier and all the buildings for the shopping area?  I would think if RC didnt pay for the pier they would have signed a contract to come there.  I personally liked Ocho Rios better.

I would have to agree about them signing a contract.  Maybe if they are pulling out it'll be once that contract has been fulfilled.  I'd be more likely to take a sailing with Jamaica in the itinerary if they stopped in Ocho Rios, as it seems to be closer to the various excursions available on the island.

Royal financed most of the Falmouth port complex.  They needed a place to bring their Oasis Class ships, as Ocho and MoBay could not take them.  Seems strange that they would walk away from that.  The article that is being circulated from a Jamaica source is very short on detail, naming "Allure of the Seas", "The Celebrity", and "a Royal Caribbean ship".  

Agreed that Falmouth outside the gate is a mess.  Not too many places I feel unsafe, but Falmouth and Belize City top the list.  

Keep in mind this entire rumor comes from a single, poorly written article in some on-line "news" source called "The Gleaner".  How legit this source is remains unknown.  Could be on the level of the Tines, could be on the level of Enquirer.  A search of the internet finds no other references to a pull-out from Falmouth.  Personally I am on my forst cruise in January and it stops at Falmouth but I would love to see it changed to Ocho Rios after all the troubles I read about Falmouth and it's relative remoteness from the attractions (Dunns Falls etc.)

40 minutes ago, PRC said:

Allure is showing that next summer's western runs will not use Falmouth, instead they'll be doing a 4 port itinerary: Labadee/Roatan/Costa Maya/Cozumel

Hope that changes for the March 25th trip on the Allure!!!!!

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

A follow-on article from the same news source seems to shed a better light on what i happening and would seem to suggest very little actual change for RCL.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20170709/tourism-officials-seek-downplay-pullout-cruise-lines-falmouth-port

34 minutes ago, jce2 said:

A follow-on article from the same news source seems to shed a better light on what i happening and would seem to suggest very little actual change for RCL.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20170709/tourism-officials-seek-downplay-pullout-cruise-lines-falmouth-port

The article says "Royal Caribbean will be repositioning the Allure of the Seas after April 2018. The Allure of the Seas will return to Falmouth in December 2018. Anyone here know anything about this?

I've been to Jamaica once and although you do get 'harassed' by the locals trying to sell things I found it easy enough to avoid them and not be enticed. that being said I can see how other would not want this experience and how it could have a negative effect on a lot of guests.

Falmouth as a place though I found it and the country to be superb!

My take is this newspaper noticed the 2018/2019 deployments have less stops in Falmouth. It's NOT to say that anything has changed in the last week or so.  Just the newspaper picked up on the fact there are less stops in 2018/2019 than in past years.

Also, RC has a significant investment in Falmouth.  They aren't going to completely abandon that port anytime soon.

Interesting......I have been both to the port in Falmouth with Royal as well as stayed at an AI in Ocho Rios.

Both times were the most harassed experiences of my life for both land based vacations and cruising.

For the AI, they actually had  security standing in the ocean to keep people from coming on the beach to harass you. And a visit to Margaritaville in Ocho Rios for a evening excursion turned into a nightmare with locals trying to sell us drugs constantly as well as pounding on the bus windows and yelling for the police to arrest us saying we had drugs on us(which we didn't and they must have been pissed we refused to buy any from them)

As for the cruise experience, we didn't go far and I have no issues saying NO and ignoring people, but it was constant. If you wanted to look around or stop and look at something and take a picture or two you were immediately harassed. Inside the gates was fine obviously.

I wouldn't care to ever visit Jamaica based on my 2 experiences so far. Beauty country for sure but the locals harassing the tourists ruins it for me.

RCCL has probably taken notice that customers are making itinerary & cruise selections based on port reputations. We love the ships, but if the itinerary includes a port that is well documented for harassment (not an enjoyment for anyone's vacation), then that represents a wasted port stop and devalues that itinerary as an option.

We very much wanted to go to Cozumel on the Oasis or Allure, but switched to the Oasis San Juan/St Marteen/Labadee cruise instead (very good option), specifically because we wanted to avoid Falmouth. So RCCL is wise to remove it from the itinerary, even if only temporarily to send a very strong message to Jamaica to really deal with its problem, or lose BIG. It goes beyond harassment to downright dangerous. (Yes, I have been to Jamaica before, and I seen it in Montego Bay as well).

Good move on RCCL's part to respond to its customers' concerns and complaints.

• 1 month later...

We went to Falmouth in April 2016, and really didn't have a problem with harassment or pushy vendors.  Our next cruise this October is scheduled to visit Falmouth, and I just checked and don't see any change (yet!) in the itinerary.  Anybody seeing Falmouth dropped from their itineraries?