Coco Cay nature

lollilb

Considering taking some cheap snorkel gear to Coco Cay, is it worth it? I read there was a wreck and a sunken plane? Are they easy to find? 

Also I saw someone post pics of a big lizard that looked like it was by a small inlet or pond... Is that part of the nature trail? I know there's the guided walk as an excursion but can you walk all over the island on your own? 

Thanks ? 

Guest toodle68

The wreck and plane are fake items that have been put into the bay for snorkeling.  I find the main bay at coccay to be an excellent place to snorkel.  You can rent gear there as opposed to taking your own.

In addition to what toodle said, if you do bring your own gear I believe they still have you rent a flotation vest. 

There are a handful of iguanas around the island that are off of the nature trail, in addition to several roosters and even a kitty named Rexy. I believe that you are able to take the nature trail on your own. 

On 06/07/2017 at 3:58 PM, toodle68 said:

The wreck and plane are fake items that have been put into the bay for snorkeling.  I find the main bay at coccay to be an excellent place to snorkel.  You can rent gear there as opposed to taking your own.

Thanks. Will make sure and do some. Do you happen to know how much the gear is to rent? 

Thanks @KLAconQueso

@KLAconQuesohatewhen they do that... I get its from a safety point of view but ugh I hate wearing them! Oh yes the famous Rexy... Im on Nick's page on Facebook she's such a cutie! Hoping we can do the walk looks nice but not nice enough to pay the excursion cost! 

Our last time there (2015) you could snorkel the bay without a life jacket, but if you wanted to snorkel the deep water, 30ft, you needed a life jacket.

You can wander all over the island.  There are some off limit places, but they're obvious.  There may be some construction zones now as well.  There was a main trail all the way to the far (west I think) end of the island.  The nature trail was fun, and no need for a guide, unless you want a more informative tour.