Docking time?

How long before debarkation time, does a ship usually dock? In other words, if I want to watch a ship pull into port. How much time should I give myself to be on deck? I know this may be ship and/or port specific, but just a ballpark figure would be great.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

I can't give you a ball park figure, but the Cruise Compass gives you that information every night before you go to bed so if you want to get up and watch the sun rise and the ship dock you can, disembarkation time is also listed.

Thanks Tiny! I hadn't noticed that before on the compasses. Just went back and looked at one.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DocLC said:

I'd say about 30 to 60 minutes before, depending on the port and when the pilot comes onboard. 

Sounds about right. In terms of actually docking, as opposed to sailing in, it's closer to 30 minutes.  Docking takes very little time usually, unless it's a port that is deep inside a harbor (like New Orleans).

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Sounds about right. In terms of actually docking, as opposed to sailing in, it's closer to 30 minutes.  Docking takes very little time usually, unless it's a port that is deep inside a harbor (like New Orleans).

Safe to say that if we are on deck an hour before debarkation time would be sufficient to see the docking as well as the sail in?

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

Safe to say that if we are on deck an hour before debarkation time would be sufficient to see the docking as well as the sail in?

Yes, but remember you'll have the same view at sail away. So, unless you want to watch the sunset, you could spend the time sleeping and simply watch the rerun on the way out. :)

Just now, DocLC said:

Yes, but remember you'll have the same view at sail away. So, unless you want to watch the sunset, you could spend the time sleeping and simply watch the rerun on the way out. :)

True, but we thought at least one morning, we would like to watch the sunrise and sail in. 

1 hour ago, FManke said:

True, but we thought at least one morning, we would like to watch the sunrise and sail in. 

We never seem to get around to that - I like sleeping in way too much. We only did this once - for Stockholm last year. That meant being out on deck at around 4 am but it was so worth it seeing the ship sailing into the archipelago. For a "normal" port I just couldn't be bothered :)