Weather - April Bermuda Cruise out of NJ

Ive been following this.   Our spring break is usually the last or 2nd to lay week in march.   For this reason,  ive avoided itineraries that stored in key west and bahamas because i was worried about if it works be warm enough.   I think i will stick to the farther south ports at that time of year!  Jane

Bermuda is the northern-most Caribbean island and it is northern-most by a lot.  I wouldn't swim there in mid April, but I live in Texas so I like it hot.  Years ago my sister (who lives in northern Montana) and I were meeting in Paris in late February/early March.  The forecast was mid 40's.   When we discussed this, simultaneously, my sister said "OK, I'm not bringing a coat" while I said "I'm bringing a coat."  So there you go.

9 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Bermuda is the northern-most Caribbean island and it is northern-most by a lot.  I wouldn't swim there in mid April, but I live in Texas so I like it hot.  Years ago my sister (who lives in northern Montana) and I were meeting in Paris in late February/early March.  The forecast was mid 40's.   When we discussed this, simultaneously, my sister said "OK, I'm not bringing a coat" while I said "I'm bringing a coat."  So there you go.

Actually, Bermuda is not a Caribbean island. It's an Atlantic-based island. Hence, the cooler weather from October thru May.

50 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Actually, Bermuda is not a Caribbean island. It's an Atlantic-based island. Hence, the cooler weather from October thru May.

Not just Bermuda, but all of the Bahamas and Turks and Caisos islands are in the Atlantic.  It seems to be a common mistake that Geography nerds like me see all the time.

Interestingly enough, some web sites and maps site Barbados as being in the Caribbean and some show it in the Atlantic.  You'd think it would definately be in the Caribbean, but it sticks out to the east of the other islands.

5 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Not just Bermuda, but all of the Bahamas and Turks and Caisos islands are in the Atlantic.  It seems to be a common mistake that Geography nerds like me see all the time.

Interestingly enough, some web sites and maps site Barbados as being in the Caribbean and some show it in the Atlantic.  You'd think it would definately be in the Caribbean, but it sticks out to the east of the other islands.

I was wondering if the Bahamas were considered part of the Caribbean...now I know.  I figured Bermuda was just its own little world.

We sailed April 29th of this year.  Weather up north was beautiful and plenty of people were at the pool when we set sail.  Bermuda was beautiful, and the perfect time to go - warm, but not miserably hot.  The latter part of our cruise, as we sailed back north, the weather shifted (as it tends to do in the Spring), and it was too chilly to be out at the pool.  Keep in mind, Bermuda is pretty much due east of North Carolina, so while we think of Bermuda as a tropical island, it's really not.

5 hours ago, Stephanie said:

We sailed April 29th of this year.  Weather up north was beautiful and plenty of people were at the pool when we set sail.  Bermuda was beautiful, and the perfect time to go - warm, but not miserably hot.  The latter part of our cruise, as we sailed back north, the weather shifted (as it tends to do in the Spring), and it was too chilly to be out at the pool.  Keep in mind, Bermuda is pretty much due east of North Carolina, so while we think of Bermuda as a tropical island, it's really not.

Same latitude as Charleston.  It's warmer than Charleston in the Winter, but it's not as hot in the Summer on average.

Now that the location of Bermuda and the varying weather patterns of the mid-Atlantic have been established how about we try to help Drewmommy with her question: "Thank you. I'm from Southern California and like it to be in the 80's or 90's for swimming.  The itinerary on my sailing is 3 days in Bermuda so just wondering what we would do in port if playing at the beach isn't in the cards."

If you are golfers then Bermuda is a the place to be. 

The "mommy" in your handle suggest to me that you are probably traveling with children. I don't have experience with traveling with kids but I am sure there are many folks here that do have no beach related activities they have tried with kids. 

Suggestions anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed out of NJ in March on Quantum and even though it was freezing in NJ there was so much to do inside on board we could still do a lot of boat activities.  We did not go to Bermuda but we had such a cold winter in 2015 that I can't imagine it had warm enough waters to swim in.  We have been to Bermuda in November and the water was great.

As for what to do on the island, it will depend on the age of your kids.  Mine were teens, so they were into pretty much anything we wanted to do.  We got bus passes and explored all the sights, including finding the one part of the island we felt uncomfortable in.  We wanted to take a bus to see a lighthouse; once we got there, there was no one else around, light house was closed, and the next bus was an hour away.  Luckily we had stopped at a small market before hand so we had snacks while sitting and waiting for the bus.  The area we went thru was very much local, no touristy folks like us anywhere.  

We spent a lot of time in St. Georges, met some interesting ladies that were on a trip to the university to study birds on a bus ride.  Got to witness an amazing Remembrance Day ceremony.  Found a little place to eat amazing cinnamon rolls that we went back to every morning for breakfast.  Waited out a rainstorm in a changing area on a gorgeous rocky beach area, stomping thru giant puddles on the road & in the parking lot from the storms.  Witnessed the school children taking the public bus home from their day at school; the respect they have for the bus drivers and just being amazed at the differences in these children and those in America.  

I would recommend researching Bermuda online, maybe even borrowing a travel book from the library, and find some sights to see in case the weather is not cooperative.  I wouldn't hesitate to go back any time of year, to be honest, we had so much fun.