Bermuda Questions

rjac

We are planning a 7 day cruise on the Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ in May 2019. Have a few questions for the Bermuda experienced cruisers. We will be in Bermuda for 3 full days, other than the beaches and golf, what else is there to do during the day and night? What kind of parking is there in/near the port, or i parking there not a good idea? Thanks!

39 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

I assume you mean parking at Cape Liberty. The parking garage there is great. Not cheap, $20/day I think, but I think it's the best way to go. 

Thanks for the info, Brian. Would you recommend May or June?

43 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you're a golfer, definitely bring your sticks !  The weather in Bermuda is perfect for golf, especially if you're going to be there 3 days.

I had to stop playing golf due to lower back issues. I used to play in the 70s and 80s. If it was any hotter or colder than that, I did not play. :3_grin:

I did the Dolphin Quest and it was FANTASTIC!!  We went the beginning of May, and the weather was amazing in Bermuda.  Mid- to high-80s while we were there.  Perfect to be outside and to be at the beach, but not miserably hot.

Stay away from the reef fishing excursion.  Not well operated and there are way too many people on the boat.  I wish we had done the caves and gone to Horseshoe Bay beach.

Also, know that even though the island is tiny, the only public transportation is by bus or ferry.  The roads are narrow & you can't drive very fast.  It takes about 2 hours to drive from one side to the other.  The ferry is faster (and a fun ride), but the schedule is more limited.

We had a short stay (Ship came in at 7AM, off the ship by 9AM and we had to be back on by around 5PM sail away at 6PM)

Party of 3.  We went to the Information Kiosk a the Royal Dock and got 6 bus tokens for $16.45.  Enough to travel thru the first zone (and back).  They do not give transfer tickets on the bus.  But if you are going to be there a few days, I think there is an unlimited pass availbe for around $20?

We went out to Somerset to an area I had scouted on Google Maps.  Explored a few shops, got ice cream and medicinal teas at De Island Shack and worked out way past the Country Squire to Woody's Restaurant and had a great local fish sandwich served on raisin bread as is the custom in those parts.  Also had terrific Jerk Chicken and the local drink a "Dark and Stormy" (Barett's Ginger Ale with Gosling's Dark Rum).

Hopped back on the bus and breezed past the Americas Cup Village -The place was a marshy swamp over a year ago and they built buildings and ran plumbing and electricty there to support the Americas Cup.  Wonder what will become of it a year from now?

When we got to the dockyard, we looked at all the overpriced stuff.  My wife got a deal on Amethyst jewelry, but everything else was overpriced.  I picked up some rum cakes for gifts.

It was brutally hot in late June, so we were eager to get back on the ship, take a shower and chill for the rest of the day.

Ive been to Bermuda 3 times.  I love it.  I would highly suggest renting a moped, the go to form of transportation on the island.  You can explore the entire island from one end to the other.  They're no more difficult than riding a bicycle, but of course without peddling.  Theres no crime at all, so no fears riding into unknown areas.  The entire island is approx. 30 miles if I remember correctly.  Seems a lot, but trust me, after just a few minutes on these mopeds, you'll feel like Easy Rider, and will have the time of your life.  Its like riding around in a 30 mile botanical garden.  I concur with Brian's recommend of the Swizzle Inn, where the locals say "if you swizzle inn, you will swagger out".  Just remember, its a British island, so make sure you order a COLD beer.  I made that mistake and just asked for a beer, and got this warm, soggy mug.  Blecchhhh.  Have fun :-)

1 hour ago, Michael Vitale said:

Ive been to Bermuda 3 times.  I love it.  I would highly suggest renting a moped, the go to form of transportation on the island.  You can explore the entire island from one end to the other.  They're no more difficult than riding a bicycle, but of course without peddling.  Theres no crime at all, so no fears riding into unknown areas.  The entire island is approx. 30 miles if I remember correctly.  Seems a lot, but trust me, after just a few minutes on these mopeds, you'll feel like Easy Rider, and will have the time of your life.  Its like riding around in a 30 mile botanical garden.  I concur with Brian's recommend of the Swizzle Inn, where the locals say "if you swizzle inn, you will swagger out".  Just remember, its a British island, so make sure you order a COLD beer.  I made that mistake and just asked for a beer, and got this warm, soggy mug.  Blecchhhh.  Have fun :-)

Do you drive on the right or left side of the road and what kind of money....pounds, dollars, bitcoins?

Yeah, if driving on the left is the thing then I'll be taking the bus when I go next year . Being a lefty, I don't think my brain could safely handle the idea of driving where I'm finally "right". ?

As far as drinking warm beer goes, I'm fine with that. At least I'll be able to taste the beer, unlike every cold glass I've gotten that's been in a freezer and fills my mouth with ice crystals on the first ten swigs.

10 hours ago, Michael Vitale said:

American dollars.  Not sure of any other currency, but I know American dollars work just fine.  And you drive on the left/wrong side  

Exactly ..... there is a Bermuda currency, however, with a 1:1 exchange rate, it's irrelevant ... We spent with US Dollars and received change in US Dollars no matter where we were.  In fact, I had to ask for a $2 Bill in Bermuda Currency just to see what it looked like.

Oh, and personally, I would never, ever rent a moped, the roads are narrow and a little crazy..... I've heard too many stories of people coming back to the cruise ship in wheel chairs and on crutches (saw that happen when we there in September ..... I'm happy with the Pink buses and the Water Ferries.

Mark

Coney, funny you should say that.  A friend of mine went to Bermuda last year, and I recommended the mopeds.  They made it through the entire day, and his wife took a spill as they were returning the bikes to the rental shop, and broke her arm.  I know it happens, but in all the times I've been there, and rented mopeds, I would surely do it again.  

We've been to Bermuda 7 or 8 times and truly love it. We have been going since the ONLY traffic light on the island was in Hamilton and the cruise ships literally docked on Front Street. All of the places named are wonderful attractions, especially the Caves and Horseshoe Beach but I strongly recommend using the buses or taxis to get around. Not only are the roads narrow and twisty, many have limestone walls that abut the driving lanes, so a miscalculation can result in a severe case of "road rash" as the locals call it! In addition, since Bermuda is left hand drive, right-hand driver's (i.e. US and Canadian citizens) collision avoidance instinct is "backwards" and turns you into potential problems rather than away from it. Stick with the buses and taxis and enjoy your vacation!

22 hours ago, Michael Vitale said:

Coney, funny you should say that.  A friend of mine went to Bermuda last year, and I recommended the mopeds.  They made it through the entire day, and his wife took a spill as they were returning the bikes to the rental shop, and broke her arm.  I know it happens, but in all the times I've been there, and rented mopeds, I would surely do it again.  

I guess it's a matter of your skill and comfort level ..... I have no issues here locally with being on a scooter, but for some reason, the "driving on the left side" really plays with my brain ......

3 hours ago, coneyraven said:

I guess it's a matter of your skill and comfort level ..... I have no issues here locally with being on a scooter, but for some reason, the "driving on the left side" really plays with my brain ......

No problem to us in the UK :8_laughing: :8_laughing: 

I watched a woman wipe out on a scooter right in the dock area.  She went over a bump and fell off head first.  Really ripped up her legs as she skidded on the pavement.

Maybe I'm risk adverse, but I'll never rent a scooter there.  I hear of at least one injury every cruise I've been on.

I also saw a scooter go down the wrong way on a forked road.  He stayed right on the two one-way forks.  He chose wrong and had to skid away from an oncoming truck.  Not the right time to take the road less traveled.