Internet & Cell phone service ON SHORE

KDB

We're getting closer to our cruise (less than 20 days!!) My mother-in-law is extremely concerned about communication while on shore. We are traveling in a group of 9, not everyone is going on the same excursions on port days. What is the best way to communicate while on shore via cell phone - we will be getting the Voom service but we're having difficulty understanding how off-shore cell service is going to work. She's convinced that we'll need to head to AT&T and order international calling service AND have Voom. I think this will be way too expensive to have both. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!!!

It's going to depend on your itinerary and what islands/Countries you will visit, Voom is only for when you are on the ship.

To communicate on shore you will need some type of International calling or texting/data. AT&T has different levels for your needs, call them or visit the web site. It bills for 30 days and then falls off, you don't have to remember to go back and take it off.

A similar thread here may help: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/4043-ship-to-shore-communications/
There's also a great post about keeping in touch here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

Voom won't be of any assistance off the ship, so if you're looking to stay in touch ashore it all comes down to your cellular provider. 

Depending on your AT&T rate plan international data and voice is $10/day, activated for that day as soon as you turn off airplane mode/turn on roaming in whichever country your in.  With some plans use in Mexico and Canada is included at no charge (if I recall).  If your device supports it you can use WiFi calling when in port (and you're someplace with WiFi) but obviously having cellular service is easier.  If someone in your group has TMobile their plans include roaming without the $10/day charge.

I hope this helps, we're always here to answer additional questions.

We have AT&T.  We went in and talked with them as we own our own business and will need phone access 24/7.  In the Caribbean (with AT&T) if you use your phone (inbound or outbound call) with you will be charged $10.99 and that is good for 24 hours from first call. You don't have to tell them ahead of time, it will be automatic.  We only have 3 ports on our upcoming cruise and we will use VOOM for the sea days.

2 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

In the Caribbean (with AT&T) if you use your phone (inbound or outbound call) with you will be charged $10.99 and that is good for 24 hours from first call.

This is a really good deal.

One cheaper alternative is you could just text message. Even while roaming, texting is super cheap.  But $10/day is still a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not a huge fan of texting, it is the most affordable way to keep in contact with each other and the method we rely on when cruising and needing to keep in touch with family. Even without the internet package, text messages usually run 50 cents or less and sometimes, depending on your plan, the charge is only applied to sent messages. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 12:06 PM, monorailmedic said:

A similar thread here may help: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/4043-ship-to-shore-communications/
There's also a great post about keeping in touch here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

Voom won't be of any assistance off the ship, so if you're looking to stay in touch ashore it all comes down to your cellular provider. 

Depending on your AT&T rate plan international data and voice is $10/day, activated for that day as soon as you turn off airplane mode/turn on roaming in whichever country your in.  With some plans use in Mexico and Canada is included at no charge (if I recall).  If your device supports it you can use WiFi calling when in port (and you're someplace with WiFi) but obviously having cellular service is easier.  If someone in your group has TMobile their plans include roaming without the $10/day charge.

I hope this helps, we're always here to answer additional questions.

Pretty sure the answer is yes, but when using voom with wi-fi for phone calls, this will allow me to make calls to people back in the states, not just people on the boat right?

50 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Pretty sure the answer is yes, but when using voom with wi-fi for phone calls, this will allow me to make calls to people back in the states, not just people on the boat right?

If you're talking about using WiFi calling, then yes.  This is a carrier feature and your phone will work as it does on land. 

Cool! And if I am reading the AT&T page correct, the charges are based on the number you are calling.  So since my sons phone and mine are both U.S. numbers there will be no charge even though both phones are on the boat!

Same should be true when my in-laws call us from Nebraska (or vice versa).  All that seems to matter is the phone number not where it is currently located!

15 hours ago, jce2 said:

Cool! And if I am reading the AT&T page correct, the charges are based on the number you are calling.  So since my sons phone and mine are both U.S. numbers there will be no charge even though both phones are on the boat!

Same should be true when my in-laws call us from Nebraska (or vice versa).  All that seems to matter is the phone number not where it is currently located!

I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right. Depending on where you go the international charges come using the cell tower at the location present. Once again, texts are cheaper than phone calls. 

The packages or features are their specific international calling plans. If you click on the below link, you'll see that they charge $2.50 a minute for a phone call on a cruise ship, $3.00 a minute in many places of the world. Also each phone would be charged (incoming and outgoing calls). Data charges can also a huge surprise that people aren't aware of so its highly recommended to turn off cellular data when overseas.

Here is what I found on ATT's site:

1. Note: If you call, text or use data on your device while outside of the U.S. and you don’t have an AT&T package or feature, you will be charged pay-per-use rates. International pay-per-use rates can be found at att.com/intlppurates.

Here is the ATT FAQ  https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/faq.html

9 hours ago, melski94 said:

I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right. Depending on where you go the international charges come using the cell tower at the location present. Once again, texts are cheaper than phone calls. 

The packages or features are their specific international calling plans. If you click on the below link, you'll see that they charge $2.50 a minute for a phone call on a cruise ship, $3.00 a minute in many places of the world. Also each phone would be charged (incoming and outgoing calls). Data charges can also a huge surprise that people aren't aware of so its highly recommended to turn off cellular data when overseas.

Here is what I found on ATT's site:

1. Note: If you call, text or use data on your device while outside of the U.S. and you don’t have an AT&T package or feature, you will be charged pay-per-use rates. International pay-per-use rates can be found at att.com/intlppurates.

Here is the ATT FAQ  https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/faq.html

We were talking about WiFi calling.  In this case, as it's a US ATT device calling a US ATT device, if they're both on a WiFi network all should be good - no international rates there.

If the person you want to call is on a smartphone that has any of the most frequently used chatting apps — FaceTime, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, etc. — you can use those to make an audio-only call and keep the whole thing on the data plan at both ends. Then you should to need to worry about any charges at all.

Just remember that the same app has to be on both devices. FaceTime can’t do an audio call to Messenger, for example.

Actually the phone you are calling (or that is calling you) doesn't even have to be on the web for wi-fi calling to work.  If you were to use one of the apps then JL is correct yoy would both need the app.  But for calls just dial it!

I did some further research and it seems what is important is the number you are calling from, and the number you are calling to,  NOT where they are physically located.  Here is my understanding after extensive research;  As long as the numbers assigned to both numbers are normal U.S. numbers (and a few other countries) and each of the phones is currently on U.S. cell towers, or wi-fi (each phone can be different), it acts and is billed just like a normal phone call.  Of course if one of the phones is off-ship at an international location (and not on wi-fi) the call will not be completed as the off-board phone has no coverage.  If you call an international number (say the hotel in Germany) you wold still be charged international rates.

Note:  Let's assume you have you r phone on wi-fi on the ship....meanwhile another member of your party is in Ocho Rios with their cell phone.  If they were to get to a spot that had wi-fi they could connect to (hint: Margarittaville), you should be able to call each other with no problem (or extra charges!)

Soooooo....You are on wi-fi on ship, and Grandma is in Ohio?  Call her!  (and she can call you!)