Beverage Prices

This is our second cruise and our first on Royal Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas to West Caribbean in August).  I was wondering how much cocktails typically cost to decide if an alcohol package is worth it to us.  I like Baileys, Kailua, and Frangelico over ice however, I read about the Bailey's banana colada that sounds tasty.  My husband always orders Negroni's (Sapphire gin, campari, and vermouth) and I love Mojito's.  Would all these come under $12 such that they would be free with a package?  We both like micro brews which aren't sold on the cruise ship.

Also, are the non-alcoholic drinks free with meals.  Is there an open cafeteria that you can always enter to get a free coke or juice or coffee?  I am trying to see if I should get my teens the mocktail package or just the coke package.

Can I bring a six pack of water bottle on board?  

Is the policy 2 bottles per stateroom or one per over 21 drinker assuming two per room?  They split my husband and I up with our two teens (their policy) so technically there is an over 21 adult in each of our rooms so could we bring a total of 4 bottles of wine/champagne?  I assume hard alcohol is not allowed as a bottle? Our last cruise we bought hard alcohol from the ship that was in our room on Day 1.  Does RC do this too?  Thanks all!

25 minutes ago, Seattleite said:

This is our second cruise and our first on Royal Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas to West Caribbean in August).  I was wondering how much cocktails typically cost to decide if an alcohol package is worth it to us.  I like Baileys, Kailua, and Frangelico over ice however, I read about the Bailey's banana colada that sounds tasty.  My husband always orders Negroni's (Sapphire gin, campari, and vermouth) and I love Mojito's.  Would also these come under $12 such that they would be free with a package?  We both like micro brews which aren't sold on the cruise ship.

Also, are the non-alcoholic drinks free with meals.  Is there an open cafeteria that you can always enter to get a free coke or juice or coffee?  I am trying to see if I should get my teens the mocktail package or just the coke package.

Is the policy 2 bottles per stateroom or one per over 21 drinker assuming two per room?  They split my husband and I up with our two teens (their policy) so technically there is an over 21 adult in each of our rooms so could we bring a total of 4 bottles of wine/champagne?  I assume hard alcohol is not allowed as a bottle? Our last cruise we bought hard alcohol from the ship that was in our room on Day 1.  Does RC do this too?  Thanks all!

You can check out the various menus here under the menus tab. They will give you a good idea of prices and liquor varieties.

Seriously though, most drinks are included with the package. And with the prices on each one rising each year, it makes the package more & more the right way to go (their plan I'm sure). Your break even point is now down to 4 drinks a day, give or take. Throw in the random coffees, bottle waters, and soft drinks and you'll be way ahead. Yes, most soft drinks with meals are included except for sodas I believe 

Our first RCI cruise is this September, we booked early at a good price but without a drinks package, we don't drink a great deal so I doubt a drinks package would be worthwhile, especially as we will be Diamond from our Celebrity cruising and hope to take advantage of the free pre dinner drinks offers..  However from our experience over the last few years on Celebrity, as drinks packages have become more common the price of drinks has increased massively, great for the cruise line but not so good for the passengers.

No canned tonic water available on board. You could try and bring it with you in your carry on, all they can do is say no, do not check it though, they will confiscate it.

This goes for regular bottled water as well, the strict interpretation of the rule is that it is not allowed, but it seems like it has been making it through in the carry on bag.

Someone that brings wine should probably answer this, but my understanding is 2 bottles of wine per state room, since the adults are split you should be OK.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:41 PM, Seattleite said:

This is our second cruise and our first on Royal Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas to West Caribbean in August).  I was wondering how much cocktails typically cost to decide if an alcohol package is worth it to us.  I like Baileys, Kailua, and Frangelico over ice however, I read about the Bailey's banana colada that sounds tasty.  My husband always orders Negroni's (Sapphire gin, campari, and vermouth) and I love Mojito's.  Would all these come under $12 such that they would be free with a package?  We both like micro brews which aren't sold on the cruise ship.

Question 1 : Mostly, yes, they would be included on the package if the menu price is $12 or under. Otherwise, they add the difference. I haven't seen that happen aside from some specialty drinks like something served in a pineapple, etc.

Question 2 : Re open cafeteria -- On Royal, the lido buffet is called the Windjammer Buffet...it is fantastic and offers a wide variety...you can get coffee, juice, lemonade, fruit punches, etc. Anything carbonated is extra or part of the drink package. My teens don't drink carbonated, so I splurge for mocktails for them occasionally...1-2 per day per kid. They never seemed to want more than that...they do like Starbucks style coffee beverages, so I like to get the $31 Cafe Select coffee punch card (you can see it at the bottom of the beverage packages in the cruise planner)...you get 15 drinks, and when charged separately at $4-$5, it pays off quickly.

Question 3 : Officially, no. Some people can get water through security in their carry on bag on embarkation day...they tend to look the other way at the ports I have used...I can't say for Galveston, but I suspect it's the same.

Question 4: Yes, two bottles per stateroom...here's the policy http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=336

The way I read it, you can get two bottles per stateroom for a total of four. Note that there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle if you take it to dinner for example. If it's in your room, I understand there is no charge even if your stateroom attendant opens it for you. My $0.02 is that if you buy the drink package, why go to the trouble and expense of carrying wine on board? I have gone a couple of cruises when I bought the drink package without drinking all of the wine I brought. Hard alcohol is not allowed. It will be confiscated, and you can get it back at the end of your cruise. Also, if you buy duty free alcohol at a port or on board, they hold it for you until the last night of the cruise when they deliver it to your room.

Question 5 : hard alcohol in your room...yes. Royal offers several options. They are available on the Royal Gifts section on the Royal site...I haven't seen it link in the cruise planner for some reason, but you can key your reservation ID and room # to make sure you get it delivered (it may not be available on Liberty -- you'll have to investigate that)...they are Absolut and Sprite, Bacardi and Coke, Sapphire and Tonic, Johnny Walker Red and Coke...these will be in your room on embarkation day...it's another instance where if you get the liquor package, it may not be worth it...it may be if you want to make cocktails in your room...your stateroom attendant can keep you stocked with ice.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/wine-cellar/alcohol/

On our cruise last year, which was also our first, we only purchased the soda package for my husband. My kids were 11 and 6 and I don't encourage fizzy drinks so the inclusive drinks were fine for them. I didn't purchase a package for myself as I accept that I'm going to put on a ton of weight with the food so keeping alcohol at bay means less temptation. My husband does like coke though so the soda package was worth it for him. I did have a couple of cocktails whilst on board though which came in at just over $20 I think. I have a friend who went on the independence earlier this year and bought the full packages for her and her husband and a soda package for her teen and she said she found it amazing value. I guess it depends on how much you will have.